Author Topic: Freedom for children at school  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
Freedom for children at school
« on: September 09, 2012, 06:23:46 pm »
Sam Neil, the founder of Summerhill School in England in the 1920s, presenting his passion for allowing children to grow up free and empowered in school:

A. S. Neill - Founder of Summerhill School - 1964

I am very privileged that my children go to a school modeled on Summerhill where they can run play all day and school rule meetings are chaired by a child and all children, teachers, and any parents who happen to be at school can propose and vote on motions. So they learn how to participate in meetings and a democracy.

They have a system where if someone is doing something you don't like you say "I request you not to" they may comply with the request or say "unreasonable request" or ignore you.Then if you are still not happy you say "I'm calling a meeting on you" and then another child is chosen to chair the meeting while a teacher supervises and they spend as long as it takes to resolve the issue. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:32:29 pm by alive »

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Freedom for children at school
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:01:37 pm »
This man is amazing! I have read his book:

http://www.amazon.com/Summerhill-School-New-View-Childhood/dp/0312141378

Many things changed since this book has been published but I think most of what he applied, is still very important.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:43:03 pm »
Hell Yes! Sounds like a community to me!

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:07 am »
My nephew went to a 'normal' school and since his behavior was often not acceptable to the teacher he was kicked out of class to be bullied by the other kids who were not behaving - so his punishment was to be removed from the presence of a teacher.

At Tamariki, my children's democratic school, the punishment for repeated unacceptable behavior (as judged by the meeting system) is the opposite - to have your freedom removed and be restricted to having to stay in the presence of a teacher! Well mostly they are teacher aids since as it has been proven that a teachers methods of interacting with a child is far more important than their qualifications - in fact it has been proven that less qualified people often make better teachers since they are more able to communicate at the child's level.

I was a bit put out at first because I thought I could teach the kids what I knew (science & electronics) but it turned out they didn't want to know and would rather I played gun war or some other game with them. I love how family members can stay at school all day, and many parents make a habit of being there to help out and chat with other parents. I love how we don't have to get there at exactly 9 each morning - any time between 8 and 10 (or later) is fine. Sometimes we don't go at all and there is no fuss - since they believe that a child learns by playing it no big issue not to attend school.

To get more exercise I have been running around the school with a kid on my shoulders, which they love (last week one laughed so hard he peed his pants and I felt this strangely familiar warmness down my back  ;D )

I love how my kids really want to go to school, and in holidays are asking how long it will be before they can go back since it is such great fun.

Instead of fixed meal breaks they allow children to eat any time of the day (which has been proven in pre-schools to help prevent obesity) and provide staple foods in the kitchen so if the kids are hungry they can make their own meals. There is a license system in the kitchen so kids can gain skills in using different appliances if they want.

They have planted lots of fruit tress around the school grounds and the kids love picking their own fruit, and have a garden with straw berries, peas etc.

They have lots of materials for building huts - wood, steel drums, tires - on the grounds. One enterprising group of kids built a four story hut of drums, but this was banned as being unsafe. Another kids parents came very late to pick him up and found him getting his hut ready to spend the night at school.
The other week a kid organised a sleep over at school for the big kids, and a teacher made a pile of pillows on the floor so they could jump off the mezzanine floor, then when it got dark they played spot light with torches.

Since the school is so easy going they often has handicapped & challenging kids  attending and this has created great acceptance of different behaviors. They has been very curious about me eating raw and 'rotten' meat and one kid said to me he thought it was cool.

At the end of the year function each kid gets a hand make certificate (made by the older kids) for something that they excelled at during the year - for example my son has got lego and hut building awards. Every year after summer break they have a school camp so all the kids and families can get together before school starts for the year.

As a result most of the children are very well balanced, self empowered, and a delight to be around since they do not have anything to rebel against.    :D

Amazingly this is a state funded school, with a parent top up of around $26 per week per child, but they are now having a fight with the government over the new 'national standards' testing requirements where every primary school child must be regularly tested for academic performance - which does not fit with the school philosophy! A teachers comment was "You don't fatten the pig by weighing it"  ;D
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:43:29 am by alive »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 11:40:45 am »
Alive--your son's school sounds awesome.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:45:03 pm »
Hi cherimoya kid,
yeah its awesome - I wish I had gone to a school like this!

Today a spent a couple of hours showing a potential new parent and her deaf daughter around - the poor kid has been diagnosed with ADHD and what have you, but the mum says she is just really shy. Once she got out in the playground she was having a great time exploring and playing, so hopefully she will join as the school has found it hard to maintain its numbers at a sustainable level. Currently there are around 40 kids and 6 staff. It seems that the general population would rather start their children off in the rat race from a young age than take risks with giving them freedom.

It's also cool how parents can bring babies and toddlers to school and have older kids play with them.
Another rule they have is that you can only kill bugs and things if you are going to eat them.

Correction - the founder of Summerhill in the UK was A S Neil (not Sam Neil).

Here is a video about modern democratic schools (fast forward to 6:00 for the start):
DEMOCRATIC SCHOOLS
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:12:14 pm by alive »

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 07:27:30 pm »
Self Directed Learning & the Unschooling Movement

Dale Stephens is the founder of UnCollege, a social movement based on the idea that college isn't the only path to success and that you can direct your own education through self-directed learning. He's set to publish his first book, Hacking Your Education, a how-to on developing skills that schools don't teach in a real-world setting. Dale, who is 20 years old, is coming to New Zealand next month to speak at a conference for the Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education. See below for external links. (27?02?)
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/2536845/feature-guest-dale-stephens.asx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk