Author Topic: 28 day hung beef  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Carrot

• Forager
    • View Profile
28 day hung beef
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:02:13 am »
I have not started eating raw meat yet. I can buy grass fed beef, but it is hung for 28 days. Is this okay to eat raw or should I be eating it soon after it has been killed?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: 28 day hung beef
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:44:59 am »
Start with fresh and move into more aged meats as well as you get used to each stage.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:48:26 am »
Would that be dry aged beef you're buying from a store?  Wondering why you specified the 28 days.  I see no harm in trying it out.  I think Tyler may be saying for your own benefit it may be easier to start fresher? but I'd say go for it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 02:58:11 am »
Would that be dry aged beef you're buying from a store?  Wondering why you specified the 28 days.  I see no harm in trying it out.  I think Tyler may be saying for your own benefit it may be easier to start fresher? but I'd say go for it.
Sorry, ignore what I said, previously. Having it hung for 4 weeks beforehand still makes it fresh, just more tender than otherwise and therefore tastier.  Tough raw meat is not ideal.  The meat is hung in a chilled environment, so it doesn't really age properly.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Carrot

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 07:58:32 am »
The beef is aged 28 days (approximately) so that it is more tender and has a better flavor. It is not easy to find beef that has not been hung for this purpose. It is assumed by the supplier that their customer will be cooking the meat.

I just want to make sure that it is still microbiologically safe to eat raw considering the carcass has been hanging around for 4 weeks. The raw fish I eat is cut and served within 24hrs, unless frozen and thawed.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 08:44:54 am »
they cut off all of the surface mold on hung meat before it makes it out of the butcher shop.  it would be safe to eat raw, in fact my guess is that it would be a good initiation into eating raw meats because you are getting your proper probiotics and enzymes for digestion from the meats.  just make sure you trust that your butcher is storing the meat properly, correct temp and humidity, for hanging meat. 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 12:12:55 pm »
Beef and meats hung on the carcass, then butchered, are normal. 28 days of aging is better than most, but it's all aged to some degree to let the muscle relax after slaughter. Fish can be hung to age, too. Air circulation is necessary, so packaged meats and fish cannot be old.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Carrot

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 01:14:11 am »
Thanks. Very helpful feedback.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk