Author Topic: Overdiagnosis and Overtreatment Rampant  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
Overdiagnosis and Overtreatment Rampant
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:51:09 pm »
Overdiagnosis and Overtreatment Rampant
A recent paper published in the British Medical Journal says evidence is mounting that medicine is harming healthy people through ever earlier detection and wider definitions of disease. We speak to one of the authors, Ray Moynihan. (23?23?)

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/thiswayup/audio/2533286/overdiagnosis.asx
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 03:35:56 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Overdiagnosis and Overtreatment Rampant
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »
Classic examples of the above consist of the fake autism epidemic in which psychologists have "re-diagnosed" countless people  with other mental health issues as having Asperger's Syndrome, mainly because the latter condition has far more research money invested in it, and then there's the nasty tendency of scientists etc. inventing new mental health conditions for perfectly normal conditions such as shyness, or  diagnosing ADHD  for perfectly normal boy-like misbehaviour so as to force many boys to be rendered zombie-like by the drug Ritalin.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:03:16 pm »
It's like what they are doing with AIDS in Africa.
Diagnosing AIDS gives you grants and other benefits...
...when the cases are mostly TB, malnutrition, parasitism, malaria... and the poisons from the retroviral drugs themselves.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 12:40:02 am »
Overdiagnosis and overtreatment is what medicine has always done. Just look at tonsillectomy, non-religious circumcision, hysterectomy, Prozac, vegetarianism, bottle-fed babies, .... While it's true that new technologies allow medical doctors to cry, "Early diagnosis!", these doctors have always found something unnecessary to do with their time and our money.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:57:07 am »
... diagnosing ADHD  for perfectly normal boy-like misbehaviour so as to force many boys to be rendered zombie-like by the drug Ritalin.

To be fair, teachers and parents are more than happy to have their hyperactive children calmed down.  Raising or teaching a hyperactive child can be exhausting and very trying.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 11:44:16 am »
I have relatives that would regularly give their children cold medicine, just to make them go to sleep. Every-time a child has a virus they want to give them Tylenol. Alregy medicine for every sniffle, and they think nothing of it.

Generally speaking
The drugs are screwing up the ADHD kids with long term side effects, a high percentage of Ritalin kids turn into underdeveloped  adults with a lot of issues, while non medicated hyperactive children (in general) have a better chance of growing out of their condition, especially with more holistic treatments.

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 03:48:14 pm »
To be fair, teachers and parents are more than happy to have their hyperactive children calmed down.  Raising or teaching a hyperactive child can be exhausting and very trying.
The trouble is that parents have become selfish and like to pretend that it's their baby's fault that it is crying etc. It is normal for boys, always has been, to be a bit mischievous and play sport and run around etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 04:21:28 am »
The problem is the school system - preschool is a marvelously rich experience where children are stimulated, have friends, and free choice. Then suddenly being sent off to primary school is worse than joining the  - the power & control, lack of freedom, can only eat and move at set times.

If these kids just went to schools that respected their natural rights of freedom of association, eating schedule, and choices of play then they would not need to be drugged into submission.

Remember that schools have been designed for teachers, not for children!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 04:37:51 am »
I wish my parents had gone in for homeschooling. The money saved thereby, and the lack of bullying involved would have vastly helped me. Never go to private  schools or State schools. In the former, you mostly just get alcoholic, 2nd-rate teachers with the private pupils bizarrely thinking they are super-intelligent for passing the entrance exams to their private schools while arrogantly and stupidly being unaware that, in most cases, the only reason they got in was because their parents were stinking rich and could give donations etc. In the case of State schools, nothing gets taught because the teachers are too scared of the students, and the boy pupils just spend all their time trying to impress the girls rather than studying etc.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 10:32:14 am »
The trouble is that parents have become selfish and like to pretend that it's their baby's fault that it is crying etc. It is normal for boys, always has been, to be a bit mischievous and play sport and run around etc.

Agreed.  I think part of the problem is that we have too many kids for the number of adults.  Reduce the birth rate, and we can afford to give each child more individual attention.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:43:51 am »
The problem is that most family members within societies where nearly all adults were compulsorily schooled are so highly integrated into the matrix that they no longer have the time or the interest to take part in the responsibility of raising the children in more traditional, down to earth, common sense ways. So many children don't receive enough one on one attention by people capable of higher levels of interaction..
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 03:22:41 pm »
Agreed.  I think part of the problem is that we have too many kids for the number of adults.  Reduce the birth rate, and we can afford to give each child more individual attention.
Hmm, then those only children inevitably become spoilt brats, like the "Little Emperors" in China. Far better to have a genuine meritocracy wherein many in the population are forbidden from breeding at all, while a worthy minority have two dozen children per couple.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »
"Increases in the reported melanoma rates are due to over diagnosis rather than an increase in the disease itself"

As written in The Lancet: “Paradoxically, outdoor workers have a decreased risk of melanoma compared with indoor workers, suggesting that chronic sunlight exposure can have a protective effect.”

http://www.davidduke.com/?p=36553

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk