Author Topic: Red snapper, cilantro, and lemon juice  (Read 10893 times)

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Red snapper, cilantro, and lemon juice
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:09:38 am »
Sorry about the dusty table, it was the only place with good lighting.

Link to image as it is too large, http://imgur.com/nChDt

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Red snapper, cilantro, and lemon juice
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:26:14 am »
Yum! I am really getting into Coriander recently, it goes well with a lot of things. Also Red Onion!

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 08:11:47 pm »
Raw fish ... I'm so careful about that. Once I wasted all types of raw fish buying from whole food and other places and was sick for week. I wonder if they put chemicals on sea products. Can't trust them anymore. Red snapper looks very good though
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:38:14 pm by TylerDurden »
bugs or country chickens

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:40:09 pm »
Raw fish ... I'm so careful about that. Once I wasted all types of raw fish buying from whole food and other places and was sick for week. I wonder if they put chemicals on sea products. Can't trust them anymore. Red snapper looks very good though

While the above might seem like scaremongering, I should add that I too bought raw wildcaught  fish from supermarkets like Sainsbury's once, and they too made me vomit due to the chemicals infused in them.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 08:06:43 am »
Thankfully I haven't been sick from any raw foods yet. I didn't know in some areas they use chemicals on fish. Is it to kill bacteria? and how do you know you were sick from the chemicals, Tyler?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:40:12 am »
whole foods is not a good source for anything.  it was probably just mishandled.  not because it was raw or left out, but because they constantly keep it out, and moist, for days on end and also have a lot of cross contamination.  i do wonder what they are spraying on it, even if its just tap water, thats gross.  as for other places, some times fish are treated with different chemicals to keep them fresh, or even when they are packaged.  some fish are colored

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 04:18:38 pm »
Thankfully I haven't been sick from any raw foods yet. I didn't know in some areas they use chemicals on fish. Is it to kill bacteria? and how do you know you were sick from the chemicals, Tyler?
Because the fish tasted particularly foul,  with a chemical-like aftertaste.  I suspect it was some form of chemical which gets easily destroyed by heat so that it isn't present after cooking. Supermarkets are paranoid about extending the shelf-life of all products, for reasons of profit, and raw fish ages at a much faster rate than other raw animal foods, so they would feel the need to saturate their fish with preservatives. I generally prefer to buy from fishmongers at local farmers' markets as even small fishmonger-shops tend to treat their produce badly, to some extent re selling frozen fish etc.(prefrozen scallops, for example, taste foul once thawed).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:26:57 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 05:04:33 am »
Come to think of it I remember noticing what I thought was some kind of flavouring added to some brandname frozen salmon of questionable origin. It seemed to have been dyed, salted, and flavoured (and probably preserved) with an almost undetectable syrup.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 08:40:19 am »
"Know your fishmonger" - I think TD says that often - prevails when it comes to what's put on the fish. The common chemical STP is used to prevent moisture loss from the flesh of fish filets. As far as I know, it only has to be disclosed when used on scallops because it plumps them up and can lead to fraud at the weighing scales. Buying a whole fish is a good way to know what kind of condition the fish is in, and it also means that STP hasn't been used on the fish's flesh.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:28:48 am »
Come to think of it I remember noticing what I thought was some kind of flavouring added to some brandname frozen salmon of questionable origin. It seemed to have been dyed, salted, and flavoured (and probably preserved) with an almost undetectable syrup.
  There's also canthaxanthin which is a dye used to make farmed salmon seem as pink and healthy as wild salmon flesh. Without that dye, the farmed salmon flesh would  look a sickly grey.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk