Author Topic: Repetitive strain injury  (Read 21417 times)

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
Repetitive strain injury
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »
It seems I have overworked my wrists. I knit and sew and sell items online to be able to be a stay at home mom. But I think I really overdid it, since my wrists are in pain, especially the right one. I used to have a lot of problems from using a mouse (or mouse pad) at my former office job, or if I use the mouse too much. But some rest usually helps.

But now it hinders me from knitting and I had to close my shop.

I also had pain in my left wrist when my son was 6 months old, from holding him all day. It took months to heal.

What can I do diet wise speed up healing? And avoid a tendency for it in the future. I am wearing a wrist brace (the one I got when I had problems from holding my son), but I am unsure it is helping much. It keeps it still, which is good, but the pressure can hurt.

I read somewhere a lack of certain vitamins and nutrients can make problems like this worse. I assume I might have a tendency for inflammation? Since I had Hashimoto's, which is pretty much gone, but I still have some anti bodies.
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Repetitive strain injury
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:51:31 pm »
A raw food diet is the best re reducing inflammation, as there's no sizeable amount of heat-created toxins involved. If this is what you have:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

I believe vitamin B6 supplements are said to be an option, though I admit I would rather you consumed vitamin B6-rich foods. Ultrasound was also suggested.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:58:53 pm »
See a chiropractor, see an acupuncturist.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:17:04 pm »
Good Samaritan my insurance does not pay for these I think. I went to see an orthopedic doctor before and plan to go next week.

A raw food diet is the best re reducing inflammation, as there's no sizeable amount of heat-created toxins involved. If this is what you have:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

I believe vitamin B6 supplements are said to be an option, though I admit I would rather you consumed vitamin B6-rich foods. Ultrasound was also suggested.

Yes, I will try to find Vit. B6 in foods, but I just need to know what vitamins might help. What do you think about D3? Can that aggravate RSI?

I think I had ultrasound done to my ankle before, and it helped a lot, will ask my doctor about it.
I am not sure it is carpal tunnel, since I don't have any tingling or numbness at all. I had CTS after pregnancy, until I fully switched to Paleo (not fully raw that is why I say "Paleo"). Maybe tendinitis or really just a bad strain.

My diet is not fully raw, and at the moment I can't change that. I am eating cooked sweet potato and carrots to maintain my weight. Without carbs I have a harder time keeping weight on.
We are also not able to afford a lot of high quality meat at the time. Lower quality meat we eat cooked. Or is it still better raw?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:27:29 pm »
Umm, how about a full-body massage with focus on the hands?

Re D3:- Never read about that affecting RSI.

I know that there is stuff online suggesting that grainfed meats contain bad bacteria or some such. I'm not a believer as I have occasionally come across mention of rawists who eventually recovered their health despite being forced to eat only raw grainfed meats from the supermarket. I just don't see the benefit in cooking as it just introduces more heat-created toxins, causing inflammation, and inflammation is a  common factor in most health-problems.

I loathe the taste of raw, grainfed meats(particularly from very intensively-farmed animals) so my own solution, when occasionally faced with cost-issues, was to do Intermittent Fasting with one large meal every day, with a few whole-day fasts every fortnight.  That way I could still eat high-quality raw meats, just smaller amounts, that's all.

The sweet potatoes and carrots aren't the end of the world, even if cooked. Cooking animal foods creates far more toxins. You might also consider adding cooked rice, given its very low AGE-content. I'm surprised that raw fruits, raw radishes, raw salads and raw carrots and the like can't help maintain your weight, though.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:37:27 pm »
I think I might have a problem absorbing all the calories and nutrients. I ate 3500 cals on average and still was not able to gain.
Maybe my former diet really messed it up for me.

I can't eat all that much fruits and veggies because of a fructose malabsorption too. So I am focusing on calories from fat, eggs, carbs, meat and fish.

I am not sure I can do fasting, I try to eat larger meals, but I get jittery if I wait too long. I also used to have a big problem with hypoglycemia. Maybe it is not ideal for me?
I also don't think I could take in enough calories fasting, at some point there is just no more room.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:45:52 pm »
I know a great deal about this condition. I used to help do EMG's (electromyography) for it when I was young. Just because you are having pain in your wrists does not mean that the issue arises from the wrist. It can be nerve impingement from the neck or elbow as well. Do you have numbness or tingling in any of your fingers? Are your hands swollen? Have you tried applying heat or cold? Results?

It is most likely carpal tunnel syndrome like Tyler suggested where the nerve gets "squashed" in that "tunnel" but there is no way of knowing for sure without nerve testing - which hurts like hell and won't give you any better off treatment plan if you want to try to treat it with diet and supplements. No matter where it is coming from - you have inflammation. Part of the problem is that you are still breast-feeding.

First thing you want to do is get a light brace for that wrist since it is the most likely culprit in order to give it rest. As long as you keep on making the same movements without resting it will be hard for your body to heal. I could tell you at least 10 things you could ingest that might help - the problem is that I have no idea which ones would be ok to do while breast feeding.

So, I would try the things that could work without having to change anything you put in your mouth or that could be absorbed through your skin first. I would do that brace and alternate hot and cold compresses and see which one if either gives you relief. Massaging an inflamed joint could make you worse if the person does not know exactly what they are doing. I wouldn't suggest it.

You are likely moving your right wrist differently than your left when knitting and sewing. When you get well and want to try those activities again - I would highly suggest wearing a brace on your right wrist when attempting it to possibly prevent the same movement that created the problem.

Again though - it might be how you hold/move your wrist or neck during those activities too. Try treating the most likely candidate first with non-invasive things and you might  just get lucky.   

But remember .... "I am not a doctor and have never even played one on tv." quote from PaleoPhil. ;)   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:56:03 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 02:35:50 am »
What I am suggesting is what I do to prevent this issue. I have a friend who teaches Yoga/Pranayama who is a computer programmer, so  he is well aware of your issue.

We do a daily routine, in addition to Yoga asanas, that stretches the eye, neck, shoulder, wrists, fingers, waist leg feet and toe muscles. Takes maybe 10 - 15 minutes. It basically warms up and moves the muscles in such as way that they do not bunch up and stick to each other. My friend calls them Chakra exercises.

I am going to see if I can get a vid of them but in the meantime do a Google for RSI or carpel tunnel exercises. Here's one. I haven't examined it super closely but I suspect it will help. http://www.handhealthresources.com/Solutions%20Pages/Exercises.htm

I would tend to soak your wrist and lower arm in hot water or get a hot water bottle, put a towel around it so you don't get burned and put it on it to increase circulation and soften the muscle. In hospitals they put a towel in a microwave then put it on the patient to keep them warm. Keeping the area warm is a very good idea.

Working the area with sesame oil will tend to warm it slightly as sesame is warming.

Also try putting some castor oil on the area and then wrapping a facecloth around it. This may help to clear out toxins from the area. BTW toxins doesn't necessarily mean nuclear waste or lead etc., it could be just crap (undigested food) that made it through the intestinal tract into the blood and got stuck in a weak spot in the body.

My last suggestion may sound strange but it works. Acupressure. Feel around the area of discomfort till you find a particularly painful spot. Then push the tip of your finger into the centre of the pain. Push it in and out maybe once a second in a smooth deep movement. If you have long fingernails, use something that is shaped like your fingertip but is round and smooth so you don't cut yourself with the nails.

Do this for about 1 - 2 minutes and then stop. If it is too painful, then move over to your other arm or wrist and do the same thing in the mirror side.

This possibly does two things. If there is a buildup of toxins in that area it breaks it up so the blood can take it away and it stimulates the flow of chi/prana through the body. I honestly cannot explain exactly why it works, just that it does.

Here is a youtube of a guy explaining accupressure Understanding Acupoints on Your Hand using Aculife
Here is one of a women diagnosing pain with a crochet needle. She uses an electrical device for zapping the accupressure point. I am told they work but I would do the free method I described.

You can do a 5 minute routine in which you don't have to know a thing about which points you are doing or what it is helping, sort of a one size fits all deal. You basically squeeze the sides of your fingers moving from the base to the tip. Then you squeeze them between your fingers on the top and bottom side moving up and down each finger/thumb. Then you move around your palm squeezing very deeply with your finger tips, It would take me a few minutes to show, but forever to explain.

I do this when I think of it.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 05:03:50 am »
I like castor oil, but I'm not sure I would do that when breast feeding. Please research that first.

Whether heat works or not depends on when the main injury occurred. Out of the hundreds of people I have seen with what you are suffering some people do better with heat, some better with cold, that is why I suggested to try both and see.

Digging directly into the spot that is the most injured and painful indeed could make you feel better or could do more damage. There are indeed acupressure points that can relieve pain in general that are not directly at the site and perhaps it is worth exploring if you are willing to do that. I'm not sure I would go digging right into the most painful places though without knowing what you are doing.

The very first things to do are immobilization (especially at night when sleeping) and heat and/or cold. That might be all that you need and those are standard treatments that will not effect your baby at all - even with the release of many toxins.

I always like to try the easiest, most direct treatments that can do no harm of any kind first. Breast feeding means that anything you do with releasing toxins, changing energy pathways etc. etc. could have unknown effects on the baby. Some of those kinds of things really can make big things happen. It's different when you are an individual than when you are a breast feeding mother. Immobilizing and applying heat/cold will only effect the specific area on you.

Again just my experiences. Of course always use your own intellect and intuition.   

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 05:52:40 am »
When I was seen for wrist pain the first time my doctor also told me that while I am breastfeeding, I would be more prone to that.
I wonder how that would work in nature though, where women breastfeed nonstop until they are done having children. Maybe a healthier diet will have you less affected, even when breastfeeding.
I might be nursing into the next pregnancy even, not sure about my little guys plans, I could even end up feeding a newborn and a toddler.
I had other breastfeeding/ after pregnancy related problems, that went away though while I was changing my diet.
Technically the repetitive movements I am doing are not natural, but I don't have any strain free hobbies. ;)

I don't have numbness, tingling or swelling. I have taken a warm bath, but was not able to tell much of a difference. I hate cold, I really avoid icing like the pest, so I don't know about its effects on my problem. I shall try it...:(

Castor oil sounds good...I suppose I can research this and ask my doctor. I will have to go anyway, I have had the problem with using the mouse since 2005, I am getting tired of it.
I probably made it worse by not resting enough then.

raw-al
Which Yoga Asanas are you referring to? The name might be enough, I have done Yoga in pregnancy to combat back pain and it really helped. So I know some Asanas :)

I do think I have a lot of toxins from undigested foods in my body, because lately my skin has been bad. My skin usually gets bad if I eat something "wrong", like white bread (ever since I switched to Paleo it does at least)...I have noticed some foods are not the greatest for me, even if they are not the worst. I started cooking my carrots, because I was not digesting them for example.

As far as the acupressure goes, I will also ask my doctor about it. It certainly sounds good.

I must stop typing now, because it also hurts some, but I appreciate all the suggestions! I really want to get rid of this problem, it is so annoying in many ways.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 07:05:01 am »
Don't forget the wrist brace! That alone could take care of it. It has for many. Good luck.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 07:26:56 am »
Oh - and I used to grow castor - it's a poisonous plant. Good for much - but with my experience with the plant itself I wouldn't do it cuz of the breastfeeding unless your are really sure.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 11:49:21 am »
Oh - and I used to grow castor - it's a poisonous plant. Good for much - but with my experience with the plant itself I wouldn't do it cuz of the breastfeeding unless your are really sure.
Castor oil is not the poisonous part. I was not talking about talking it orally. Putting it on the skin is entirely different. If there was a reaction with the child she (Suiren) would know as the child might have slightly loose bowel action. Castor is used by Doctors for certain things and has been used for a very long time.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 12:46:11 pm »
Suiren,
Breastfeeding not only is a blessing for the child, but is for the mother, as there is some speculation that it protects mothers from breast cancer and other issues associated with menstruating. Also by being around you constantly the baby will see how adults act and will tend to emulate you, thus bypassing the issues of children acting like brats.

I seriously doubt that cold would help you but I guess anything is possible.

As far as the mouse problem, I had to give up using the mouse because it started to feel like an energy suck. My hand would instantly get cold. I started using one of these  7 Reasons to switch from mouse to trackball WholeApple Logitech M570 Trackball Review  Logitech M570 Trackball Review | Wrist Pain Relief | Quick Look My version uses the finger to roll the ball which is the opposite of the ones in the vid. Mine is the one M/N: T-RB22,TKM CALYPSO on this page. M/N: T-RB22,TKM CALYPSO but there are quite a few choices. I bought the one that was at Staples. There is a bit of a learning curve but I really like it now.

Re: the asanas I will make a video and post it later. (charging the vid camera)They are not regular asanas, more like exercises for RSI/Carpel Tunnel. Your body type is very appropriate to do asanas daily.

If I were in your situation I would find a really warm piece of clothing to put over your arm from your elbow down almost like the things that women wear over the lower legs from their knees to the ankle.

Something else which I suspect would be useful is an infra red sauna. There are portable ones and they are probably not cheap, but you can google them. There may be businesses that have them you can rent etc to see if it's a good idea They're not paleo but neither are computers.
Cheers
Al

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 02:46:47 am »
Don't forget the wrist brace! That alone could take care of it. It has for many. Good luck.

Yes, I wear it all day and night pretty much, aside from a few breaks to stretch. It was the only thing that helped last time. :)

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 03:47:40 am »
Suiren,
Breastfeeding not only is a blessing for the child, but is for the mother, as there is some speculation that it protects mothers from breast cancer and other issues associated with menstruating. Also by being around you constantly the baby will see how adults act and will tend to emulate you, thus bypassing the issues of children acting like brats.

I believe it is best for the mother's and child's health, to nurse on until the child weans when he is ready. Interfering with that might create an imbalance for both. I am also thinking of how confused the body would be if there was a sudden and early end to nursing. It is wonderful for bonding, and my son really is a very happy, easy to manage baby. He likes to be close all the time of course, but since he gets all the closeness he needs he has a lot of happy, curious, independent moments. Taking him places is a joy. He started comfort nursing more too, and I think that is how a toddler can get over fussy, moody moments. They learn so much and need a way to wind down.

I think I should look into trackballs. I really feel my mouse is putting additional strain on my right hand and then the knitting finishes it off. I need to do many things online too, list new items, shop upkeep, promotions, manage supplies, networking...that means hours on the computer.

I do wear knit fingerless gloves when my brace is off, when it is on my arm is bandaged.

Is there certain body types that are better for certain asanas?

I seriously doubt that cold would help you but I guess anything is possible.

As far as the mouse problem, I had to give up using the mouse because it started to feel like an energy suck. My hand would instantly get cold. I started using one of these  7 Reasons to switch from mouse to trackball WholeApple Logitech M570 Trackball Review  Logitech M570 Trackball Review | Wrist Pain Relief | Quick Look My version uses the finger to roll the ball which is the opposite of the ones in the vid. Mine is the one M/N: T-RB22,TKM CALYPSO on this page. M/N: T-RB22,TKM CALYPSO but there are quite a few choices. I bought the one that was at Staples. There is a bit of a learning curve but I really like it now.

Re: the asanas I will make a video and post it later. (charging the vid camera)They are not regular asanas, more like exercises for RSI/Carpel Tunnel. Your body type is very appropriate to do asanas daily.

If I were in your situation I would find a really warm piece of clothing to put over your arm from your elbow down almost like the things that women wear over the lower legs from their knees to the ankle.

Something else which I suspect would be useful is an infra red sauna. There are portable ones and they are probably not cheap, but you can google them. There may be businesses that have them you can rent etc to see if it's a good idea They're not paleo but neither are computers.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 04:20:57 am »
Another option is a trackpad. I have one which is made for Apples http://www.google.ca/search?q=apple+trackpad&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFA_enCA484CA484&prmd=imvnsa&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OnyVUOqYI4zjrAfCyYDADA&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=932&bih=1083 it's the large one. You can do an unbelievable amount of things with it if you take the time to learn the single, double, triple, quad finger moves.

Certain asanas are not good for certain body types. From memory I recall that headstands are not good for some people ( Pitta I think) due to excess pressure on the upper discs of the backbone. I loaned my book by Dr Vasant Lad that discusses this so I can't look it up exactly which disc and which other asanas are problematic. Pregnancy also disallows certain ones, probably inverted ones However apparently it is good to do certain asanas to help with preparing for childbirth.

I generally start the day with asanas. The day goes smoother.
Cheers
Al

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 04:28:25 am »
Castor oil is not the poisonous part. I was not talking about talking it orally. Putting it on the skin is entirely different. If there was a reaction with the child she (Suiren) would know as the child might have slightly loose bowel action. Castor is used by Doctors for certain things and has been used for a very long time.

Sure - it's an ancient cure. I know castor is a great plant to use including the oil - just not sure about the baby with something absorbed through the skin (I know you weren't saying to take it orally) and if castor would be appropriate for babies to be around generally. You know more than me - it's just something I would check and re-check myself before doing. The bean is quite toxic. When making the oil workers coming into contact with the resulting pulp have died. I know the oil itself is "supposed" to be ok - but I get the heebeejeebees around such things when it comes to babies. As adults we could easily be able to handle a little bit of toxicity left in the oil - I'm just saying to really make sure, trust your source and double check it - that's all. I would find a bunch of sources saying it was ok before I would do it because I've had some super bad experiences with people saying that all the toxic elements were removed when they hadn't been of other toxic plant cures.

Me - I would try the extremely easy and absolutely non-toxic heat/cold and immobilization first though. That often is all it takes for quick results. For years every day all I did was see people with this condition. It was a weird job. ;)

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 04:31:58 am »
Yes, I wear it all day and night pretty much, aside from a few breaks to stretch. It was the only thing that helped last time. :)

Oh - didn't get to this post. So you already have a brace and it does help - that's good! But it didn't prevent huh? That's too bad. Were you wearing it when knitting before getting the problem? I crochet so I understand that repetitive motion and how intense it can be. You might want to wear the brace in the future even if not in pain when you are knitting in order to help to curtail that little turn you do - it might help to prevent future problems.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 04:34:21 am »
I had that wrist pain from computer work many years ago. The wrist brace let it heal. After that, I was careful to analyze my wrist position to prevent re-injury.

P.S. I practice yoga asanas, including wrist, but I don't think I would do wrist asanas while my wrist was inflamed.

P.P.S. The pregnant women at my yoga house don't invert and don't lie flat on their backs when the baby is large - they modify asanas so that they have their backs inclined, leaning against something at an angle.

P.P.P.S. Yay for breastfeeding. I was a tandem-nursing mom. 
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 04:50:14 am »
Eve, it is very likely I will be tandem nursing too or through pregnancy :) We might be spacing kids 3 years apart. Biggest reason for that is giving my C-section time to fully heal. I hope I can attempt natural birth in the future, but last time I did not go into labor and ended up being post term.

I also avoided back positions when I was far along in my pregnancy, and certain moves that restrict the belly. Instead I walked a lot... (had to anyway...shopping, post office, appointments) until the very end.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 04:51:59 am »
Sure - it's an ancient cure. I know castor is a great plant to use including the oil - just not sure about the baby with something absorbed through the skin (I know you weren't saying to take it orally) and if castor would be appropriate for babies to be around generally. You know more than me - it's just something I would check and re-check myself before doing. The bean is quite toxic. When making the oil workers coming into contact with the resulting pulp have died. I know the oil itself is "supposed" to be ok - but I get the heebeejeebees around such things when it comes to babies. As adults we could easily be able to handle a little bit of toxicity left in the oil - I'm just saying to really make sure, trust your source and double check it - that's all. I would find a bunch of sources saying it was ok before I would do it because I've had some super bad experiences with people saying that all the toxic elements were removed when they hadn't been of other toxic plant cures.

Me - I would try the extremely easy and absolutely non-toxic heat/cold and immobilization first though. That often is all it takes for quick results. For years every day all I did was see people with this condition. It was a weird job. ;)

There is a major difference in oral and topical use. Also it is pretty close to impossible that a commercially preparation would have the skin of the castor bean in it. Since the oil is clear and the skin is dark, you would see it (the ricin) for starters.

Here is a clip from this website by Dr Mercola.

"Canary Islanders made poultices from the leaves of the castor plant to treat gynecological problems. Nursing mothers applied these poultices to their breasts to increase milk secretion and relieve inflammation of their mammary glands, and applied the poultice to their abdomens to promote normal menstruation. The topical absorption of castor oil is the basis for more modern "castor oil packs," which I'll be discussing later in detail."

Here is another quote from the same site:

"Castor Oil Packs a Punch, Topically

Castor oil "packs" can be an economical and efficient method of infusing the ricinoleic acid and other healing components of castor oil directly into your tissues. You would be wise to do a "patch test" prior to applying a castor oil pack to make sure you aren't allergic to the oil.

There are several ways to use castor oil topically. You can simply rub castor oil onto an affected area of your skin. Or, you can affix a Band-Aide soaked in castor oil if only a very small area needs to be treated. For larger or more systemic applications, it can be used as massage oil, which is reported especially effective when applied along your spinal column, massaged along your lymphatic drainage pathways. But the coup de grace of castor oil therapy is the "castor oil pack."

To make a castor oil pack, you will need the following supplies:

High quality cold-pressed castor oil (see last section of this article)
A hot water bottle or heating pad
Plastic wrap, sheet of plastic, or plastic garbage bag
Two or three one-foot square pieces of wool or cotton flannel, or one piece large enough to cover the entire treatment area when folded in thirds
One large old bath towel
Below are instructions for making and using a castor oil pack (courtesy of Daniel H. Chong, ND):     

Fold flannel three layers thick so it is still large enough to fit over your entire upper abdomen and liver, or stack the three squares.
Soak flannel with the oil so that it is completely saturated. The oil should be at room temperature.
Lie on your back with your feet elevated (using a pillow under your knees and feet works well), placing flannel pack directly onto your abdomen; cover oiled flannel with the sheet of plastic, and place the hot water bottle on top of the plastic.
Cover everything with the old towel to insulate the heat. Take caution not to get the oil on whatever you are laying on, as it can stain. If necessary, cover that surface with something to protect it.
Leave pack on for 45 to 60 minutes.
When finished, remove the oil from your skin by washing with a solution of two tablespoons of baking soda to one quart water, or just soap and water. (Be sure to wash the towel by itself, as the castor oil can make other clothes stink if washed together.)
You can reuse the pack several times, each time adding more oil as needed to keep the pack saturated. Store the pack in a large zip-lock bag or other plastic container in a convenient location, such as next to your bed. Replace the pack after it begins to change color.
For maximum effectiveness, apply at least four consecutive days per week for one month. Patients who use the pack daily report the most benefits."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/04/28/castor-oil-to-treat-health-conditions.aspx

As an aside the famous seer Edgar Cayce advised people to do the castor packs on their body for a whole plethora of diseases. Its gentle and effective. You can supercharge it by using an electric heating pad to keep the whole thing warm.

Eveheart,
I agree with what you said about asanas. As you go along towards term I would be even more careful, but I am a guy and what do I know. ;D
Cheers
Al

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 04:53:26 am »
Oh - didn't get to this post. So you already have a brace and it does help - that's good! But it didn't prevent huh? That's too bad. Were you wearing it when knitting before getting the problem? I crochet so I understand that repetitive motion and how intense it can be. You might want to wear the brace in the future even if not in pain when you are knitting in order to help to curtail that little turn you do - it might help to prevent future problems.

Yes, I have a brace and it is prescription, not otc. :) Not sue if I can knit well with it, but I will give it a try. I am not sure which move even caused it...I did not feel much pain, it suddenly got bad.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 04:58:54 am »
This sounds like topical castor oil would be fine:
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/02/castor-oil-pack-therapy.html

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 05:35:21 am »
"Canary Islanders made poultices from the leaves of the castor plant to treat gynecological problems. Nursing mothers applied these poultices to their breasts to increase milk secretion and relieve inflammation of their mammary glands, and applied the poultice to their abdomens to promote normal menstruation

That's the kind of quote I like to see for reassurance.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk