Author Topic: Adrenals and raw fish?  (Read 10125 times)

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
Adrenals and raw fish?
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:48:12 am »
Hey guys been a while,

Healing up my adrenals/digestion/brain/energy are my current goals and I have come to realize that fatty fish really vibes with me right now.  Things like sardines, salmon, etc.  I haven't tried mackerel yet.  So here is the kicker.  I live in the midwest.  The only fresh fish I feel comfortable eating is atlantic salmon from some people I trust.  I get good quality tinned smoked sardines which sit really well.  There is a fish market/oyster bar around here that sells high-quality oysters among other fish (bass, trout, whitefish, etc) but they are all SUPER EXPENSIVE. Other than that, I have access to good quality lamb, elk, and bison. Any thoughts?

-Joe

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Adrenals and raw fish?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:28:36 am »
Where there is fresh fish, there is (pretty much always) fresh offcuts: heads, fish frame, innards. Often fish are filleted to minimise bones, and so for speed of filleting many fishmongers leave flesh  around head and along the backbone, sometimes a good deal.
The cheeks of the fish are very tasty, eyeballs too. Liver can be eaten, fish roe, even the fins can be chewed.
Ask the fish shop person if you can have the offcuts. Often they save these for free for restaurants who purchase from them, for them to use in broths.
Mostly, there is always excess offcuts, which otherwise, get tossed, often at the expense of the fishmonger.
Buy a bit of fish from them, request if you can have some offcuts.
Mutual benefit and not expensive at all.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:14:16 pm »
Avoid tinned seafood like the plague! Canned foods involve extremely high levels of heating to ensure there are  no bacteria or useful nutrients left.

If you're near the coast, I would strongly recommend buying lots of raw, WILDCAUGHT, seafood. Don't buy raw shrimps and raw prawns or farmed fish - most prawns or shrimps are  taken from SE Asia and are fed on excrement, no joke:-

http://www.ifood.tv/blog/feces-fed-asian-shrimps-are-acceptable-in-america

Raw sprats, raw mackerels, raw crabs and raw sardines are dirt-cheap. Even raw wildcaught oysters can be dirt-cheap if from the right source(directly from a fishmonger at a farmers' market). Raw swordfish, raw kingfish, raw tuna(too lean), raw scallops and raw lobsters are more expensive but still worth it. When I was near the coast, raw oysters cost me only 0.70 pounds sterling per oyster. I was able to live on just 10 raw wildcaught oysters a day, if I wanted to, but, being extravagant, I  preferred eating 20 a day(once or twice  a fortnight), when I had them.

Since you're nowhere near the coast, buy a few wildcaught raw oysters every month, but otherwise stick to raw, grassfed meats, and if you can, raw wild game.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »
There are couple of herbs that my adrenals seem to just love - licorice root and cinammon. Just thought I'd throw that out there for you.

Btw - real nice to see you again Joe! :D

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 07:53:26 pm »
Nice seeing you too dorothy =)  I do love cinnamon especially on apples.  Yea Tyler I live nowhere near the coast so that is just not an option.  It would cost me 10 bucks a meal to feast on raw oysters from local restaurants around here so that will be a rare treat.  Looks like salmon, elk, bison, lamb are the mainstays.  I wish someone could helicopter in some fresh raw sardines and mackerel here =)  I will also try my luck at the ONE fish market around here.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:22:14 pm »
Raw oysters seem to have far more concentrated levels of nutrients than any other raw seafood, so even a  small amount of oysters once per month will be worth it.

The term "Midwest" includes mainly those States bordering the Great Lakes, though, doesn't it? Then again, I have vaguely heard a rumour  that the Great Lakes are now all as heavily polluted as the Danube.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:25:57 am »
Atlantic salmon is farmed.  I heard wild Atlantic salmon does not get in production anymore. Get wild Alaskan salmon instead.

Find asian market.  They should have frozen mackerel and cod and other saltwater fish as well as fish roe.
I'd avoid all other fresh water fish.  Most of them are farmed.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:27:47 am »
Er sorry thats what I mean, ALASKAN salmon, not atlantic.  This stuff is wild-caught fished from a small family.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 07:14:49 am »
Alright, update guys.  Found a fish market around here that looks to get a lot of their stuff from great lakes/southern canada.  I am going to ask if it is sushi grade and go check it out to see how it looks.  Trying to focus on healthiest fish for building nervous system/brain/adrenals.  They have;

-walleye
-whitefish
-seabass
-rainbow trout
-perch
-oysters and maybe crab

Everything is pretty pricey so I probably won't be getting too much of it.  Any of these good raw/rare?

-Joe

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 07:43:04 am »
For god's sake don't bother with "sushi-grade" fish. It's meaningless as a term and only used to console foolish eaters of cooked diets that the fish are safe if eaten raw. More to the point, you'll be paying way more than you should than if you bought standard raw fish.

No idea re the other fish, but I found raw seabass and raw trout rather tasteless. Aren't trout fed on all sorts of rubbish like grains?

Definitely try the raw oysters and the raw crabs. A decent oyster should have a thick, hard shell and be quite large. The small ones with a thin outer covering aren't too good. Same applies to raw mussels.
" Ron Paul.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 08:31:22 am »
Well I agree tyler about the "sushi-grade" etc but are you telling me it's safe to go to walmart and eat the raw fish?  I am looking for fresh, shiny stuff primarily.  I understand all this stuff but realistically there is just no way I am going to buy fresh raw oysters all the time.  Compromise is good for the health =)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 08:45:34 am »
Smoked oysters won't be any good, anyway.

I avoid supermarkets for any raw fish after a couple of unpleasant episodes where I bought raw fish from Sainsbury's supermarket and vomited after eating them due to a very nasty chemical after-taste in them. I strongly suspect that  that supermarket had added various chemicals as preservatives to the fish and that such chemicals would probably have been boiled off easily after cooking, they just hadn't anticipated that someone would eat them raw.

Just buy raw seafood from local fishmongers' shops, or best of all, fishmongers at open-door markets, such as farmers' markets.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 12:00:41 pm »
Get it frozen.  It'll be more fresh.  Non frozen fish at the store has already been thawed.  If I'm not mistaken all fish must be delivered to the store or restaurants frozen.  Unless you live next to the shore get it frozen.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 07:46:50 am »
I guess I'm just skeptical of going to a random asian market and picking up raw fish that I have no idea where it came from.  I think this is the most economical and wise choice though.  I'll keep everyone updated on the search.  Luckily I have pretty much unlimited wild alaskan salmon until I find some more variety =)

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 12:54:38 pm »
If they have mackerel it is surely wild.  Same for herring.  Any oily cold water fish would be wild.  Avoid all fresh water fish.  See what they have and then do a research.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 08:02:00 am »
Will do.  Checked out the local fish market.  Picked up raw oysters and clams.  Not terrible.  Clams were 60 cents a pop.  Oysters were 1.25 still in shell.  Anyone know how to shuck em?  I'm probably just using a flathead.  They had AMAZING looking lobster that I'm sure I can't afford.  Going to check the asian places soon.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 09:57:16 am »
Have raw lobster once a year. Realistically speaking, it's far less nutrient-dense than raw oysters, and you get not that much meat per lobster. The lobster eggs, though, taste great.

I found raw scallops to taste wonderful, being very nutrient-dense too imo, but they are usually viewed as being too expensive by others. I find spending 20 pounds sterling on 20 large raw scallops is well worth it, though.

I have no idea re opening clams. I tried and more or less gave up. That is, I eventually used  a hammer and picked the tiny bits of flesh out from the shards.

Oysters are easy to open. Just buy an oyster-knife(I got mine from amazon, as I recall). Try to force the tip of the oyster-knife into the front end of the oyster on the side, and once it's in, twist it round to get the shell open so that you can force the upper shell back and tear it off from the lower shell. Then hack at the hard, round, white muscle to get the softer oyster parts off and gulp them down. If you don't like the salty taste, you can do what I do with raw mussels, which is put the oyster-flesh all into a pint-sized glass, , put your hand over the top of the glass, and then turn the glass upside down for the liquid to run out.
" Ron Paul.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 02:56:45 am »
Tried the oysters today.  Not too bad.  Not too bad.

clip 2012 11 11 13;03;44

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 08:00:59 am »
Joe, what amazing eyes you have!... and such a wonderful face. Such light. It's so nice to get to see you.

Oh - and congratulations on the oysters. Next time you might want to try some lemon. I love horseradish on mine too. Those tastes go well with the salt I think.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 08:25:26 pm »
hah thanks.  Yea I have heard lemon goes good I will have to try that next time. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk