Author Topic: traveling raf  (Read 12013 times)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
traveling raf
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:59:24 pm »
ive been travling a lot over the last few months with work. Ive stayed 90% raf which im proud off its been hard especially as ive been in remote areas and have been flying a lot.ive resorted to eating supermarket meat which has spent days in a warm bag until rotten, washed down with pasteurised cream to fill me up with calories and i still felt pretty good considering!
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: traveling raf
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 08:03:39 pm »
ive been travling a lot over the last few months with work. Ive stayed 90% raf which im proud off its been hard especially as ive been in remote areas and have been flying a lot.ive resorted to eating supermarket meat which has spent days in a warm bag until rotten, washed down with pasteurised cream to fill me up with calories and i still felt pretty good considering!

I totally went off my diet for a while like a month ago: Discussion link, travel.  People were nice and supportive though.  I can't do that again.  I felt sick from it, and I don't need that.  You're doing great wodgina6722.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:33:45 pm »
I feel sorry for you zero-carbers. I mean, I cannot stand intensively-farmed meats, let alone dairy, so am able to resort to eating nonorganic or organic fruit in extremis when suitable raw animal food sources are unavailable.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:43:15 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

livingthelife

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:03:48 pm »
I've wondered about how to travel on this diet. Even as a (mostly) raw vegetarian, it was very difficult. Restaurants are pretty much out.

On the last trip we took, I located some grocery stores ahead of time and made sure we had a refrigerator in the room. Unfortunately, we planned too much sightseeing and weren't near the hotel very often. We ate in restaurants and I ended up getting sick.

I'm only traveling for pleasure, so I can decide what our schedule will be. For those who travel for business, it must be extremely difficult because there is less free time for grocery shopping and an expectation to eat meals with business associates.

Suggestions on this topic will be useful to many, I'm sure.

Congrats, wodgina6722!

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:08:23 am »
One thing you can do is a week before you go on a trip, decrease the carb intake a little, and seriously up the fat intake.  Also, start eating only 2 main meals a day, maybe morning and evening.  The idea is to get your body proficient at burning fat, and ready to go for longer periods w/o eating much.  So when you're on the road, eat a big hearty meal of fatty meat when you get the opportunity.  You may get a little hungry in between meals, but if you have any extra fat stores on your body, those will be consumed before muscle, b/c of how used your body is to eating fat.

I figured this out a week ago when I hardly ate anything for a day or two.  I lost 1/2-3/4 of an inch of my waist in a 3 day period, losing only 1/8 inch on my arm.  I was surprised, and figured that it must have been b/c I get most of my calories from fat, eating 2-3 lb of ground beef every day. 

I guess this isn't much of an option if you are mostly raw vegan, but hopefully it is an option if you eat lots of meat anyways.  From the vegan perspective, you could probably buy a jar of raw coconut oil (Jungle is the only brand I've found to be 100% raw), and carry it around with you. 

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:13:01 am by Guittarman03 »
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

coconinoz

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 02:48:07 am »

how about raw dha eggs?

JaX

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 03:15:17 am »
I've been wanting to ask the same question.

I'm going to travel a lot soon (I might visit you guys ;p!) and I'm also wondering what foods would be best to bring along on a trip. Meats don't last that much in a car.. Coconut oil is a great suggestion, thanks Guittarman03. Probably whole coconuts are also great. But what else?

What else would you bring along traveling by car and not air?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 03:25:08 am »
I have a vacation planned soon and I'm going to try to bring a bunch of jerky and pemmican as my staple and then see what kinds of fruits and meats I can get there. I'm going to St. Kitts so they will probably have good seafood and tropical fruits.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 03:37:06 am »
I feel sorry for you zero-carbers. I mean, I cannot stand intensively-farmed meats, let alone dairy, so am able to resort to eating nonorganic or organic fruit in extremeis when suitable raw animal food sources are unavailable.

Are you really happy? All this is becoming to much for me - I feel soooo much we talk about is an eating disorder and most of you must spend most of your life running after "the perfect food". Is that life? Can you SHARE that kind of life with out being obsessive?

How many of you are happy being obsessed? I could  :'( about this kind of life!

Nicola

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 03:44:52 am »
Err, Nicola, I hate to mention it, but  if anyone's orthorexic it's you!!!  -d :o ;)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

JaX

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 03:51:19 am »
Are you really happy? All this is becoming to much for me - I feel soooo much we talk about is an eating disorder and most of you must spend most of your life running after "the perfect food". Is that life? Can you SHARE that kind of life with out being obsessive?

Nicola

I've thought about this too. There has to be a balance between how much time/energy is spent getting quality foods and the time spent seeing places and meeting people.

But being prepared on before hand I can't see the hurt in. I mean, the world today is a place where good quality food is hard to find, so why not be prepared and at least bring a little along when traveling, instead of stomaching some crappy airport food down and then maybe feeling sick?

When I travel by car I always bring some nuts and fruits with me so I don't have to stop on the way and eat at mcdonalds.

What do you do Nicola when traveling? You just eat whatever is available on the road and where you are visiting?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:53:53 am by Seeker »

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 03:57:42 am »
With regards to the social aspect of this diet...
while it is definitely true that my diet isolates me somewhat, it is nowhere near as isolating as the mental state I was in pre-RawPaleo.

I've always been a tad obsessive my entire life. When I get into something, I get into it 100%

JaX

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 04:12:47 am »
With regards to the social aspect of this diet...
while it is definitely true that my diet isolates me somewhat, it is nowhere near as isolating as the mental state I was in pre-RawPaleo.

I've always been a tad obsessive my entire life. When I get into something, I get into it 100%

Same here. For most of the things I do I'm either all in or nothing. I'm a black or white kind of guy. Why be mediocre at 100 things when you can be the best at 1 thing? :D

I have found eating very healthy to be isolating at times but I also live a place where there aren't any people that I know of following any diet very strictly (be it paleo or vegan).

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 04:50:04 am »
i also ate cage eggs with my supermarket beef as well as 'bleu' steaks. Prior to the long trip i started to eat carbs and made pemmican. The pemmican got ruined. 
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 04:56:27 am »
Err, Nicola, I hate to mention it, but  if anyone's orthorexic it's you!!!  -d :o ;)

Thank you; you are a loving person. You are trying to hurt me because you know some of my back ground - it's a way of putting your self in a better light. You are just trying to justify your own obsession! I have spent most of my life in fear and food is a way of controlling life - yes eating this way may CONTROL some aspects of life but it has a lot of draw backs and deep down I know I will never connect following this!

Yes, Charles and the others may eat cooked meat from all those deadly shops but they seem to do better in the whole picture.

Nicola

livingthelife

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 05:03:53 am »

Nicola

It's come up rather frequently that we are all looking for some psychological "place" where we are NOT feeling controlled by food.

I personally am healing my whole being from an abusive childhood and self-abusive young adulthood. Living is not a natural experience for the damaged psyche. Everything must be either coped with or changed.

For me, right now is a very focused period of learning and changing regarding diet (though it's actually broader than that).

This is a food-oriented board, so I don't post here about my love of art, my role as a parent, or the other important things in my life - many of which, like my marriage, for example, required a focus and adaptation much more intense than exploring raw animal food.

I've done a lot of hard work and have a beautiful life, and I see that's true for others here as I read about their personal successes in fitness, health, and well-being. I don't think we're ever "done" refining, exploring, and celebrating our human nature.

Thanks for bringing this up, Nicola. You personally have inspired me to look for a simpler and more authentic way to live, and opened my eyes to the broader implications of food in my life.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 05:18:43 am »
deep down I know I will never connect following this!

Then don't do it. No one's forcing you to.

With so much working against us, it's impossible not to devote a good amount of thought and/or time to food. Back in actual paleo times, they didn't have to think about it so much. Things have changed, and its no longer a matter of "eat what is available for survival", which happened to be healthiest anyhow.
We have to choose between not thinking about food and fitting in with societal norms, and being healthy.
I think nutrition is a perfectly reasonable thing to devote thought and time to. Maybe some others don't.
But is there really a balance? Not that I've seen. It's not normal to be healthy, that's just the facts. You just gotta deal with it in your own way.

JaX

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 05:39:36 am »
Thank you; you are a loving person. You are trying to hurt me because you know some of my back ground - it's a way of putting your self in a better light. You are just trying to justify your own obsession! I have spent most of my life in fear and food is a way of controlling life - yes eating this way may CONTROL some aspects of life but it has a lot of draw backs and deep down I know I will never connect following this!

Yes, Charles and the others may eat cooked meat from all those deadly shops but they seem to do better in the whole picture.

Nicola

If you feel the way you are eating poses more disadvantages than advantages and is too "controlling", then change it. Simple as that.

If you feel it is hard to do, do it slowly by focusing all your attention on something else than food after you have eaten and slowly introduce the foods you want to be able to eat when going out or traveling.

Ultimately, it's a matter of choice and your own values.

Don't ever say you will never be able to connect following anything that has happened! Try to refocus and use all your energy on something else than foods, like a new hobby.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:41:22 am by Seeker »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 07:59:13 pm »

Nicola

I wasn't trying to be harsh. I was just pointing out that you were taking the whole business of diet perhaps a bit too seriously. That's all.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 08:52:29 pm »

After being really sick, after trying raw vegan, after trying raw fruitarian, after trying cooked meats high fat (homo optimus diet), raw paleo diet makes me happy. 

In fact, I've never felt healthier and happier with the results I'm getting! And it is sooo comfortable... you know... simple, no complications, best health so far...

I do not quite see why you are sad, Nicola.  Maybe you could explain in another thread?

---

On topic, I have yet to travel.  By december 12, my family and I will be on vacation in Palawan in an organic farm.  Maybe I can live on raw fruits... i'm an omnivore... the raw animal foods, maybe I can get some fertilized eggs there... maybe some ocean fish... maybe goats?... we will see...
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 12:38:45 am »
I do not quite see why you are sad, Nicola.  Maybe you could explain in another thread?

Well if thinking about food, detox, posting menu's, fasting, raw meat is not an obsession and you are not interested in other aspects of life? I believe that the Bear had it right with obsession and this is all we need to know:

Here are some SIMPLE rules (for a carnivore in a hostile social environment.)

You don’t need recipes, the food is too simple.

Only cook your food rare, eat plenty of fat, no salt, drink water.

SEVEN SIMPLE RULES FOR THE HUMAN CARNIVORE

1) Eat only from the animal world (eggs, fish, redmeat and fowl and some dairy are all animal sourced foods, i.e.: meat).

2) Eat nothing from the vegetable world whatsoever. (Very small amounts of flavourings such as garlic/chillies/spices/herbs which may be added, are not ‘food’).

3) On diary: avoid milk and yoghurt (heavy carbs- lactose), use only pure (not ‘thickened’- heavy) cream (read the label), cheese and unsalted butter.

4) Don’t cook your meat very much- just a little bit on the outside- for flavour- blood-rare or bleu. For this reason I advise against eating pork.

5) Eat liver and brains only very infrequently- they are full of carbs.

6) Be sure to have plenty of fat of animal origin at each meal and eat mostly of the fat until you feel you have had enough- you can eat more lean at this point if you like- calories are not important, nor is the number of meals/day. Vegetable oils are not good food.

7) You do not need any supplements of any kind. Drink a lot of water and do not add salt to anything.

That is all there is to it.

DO NOT obsess over what you eat, follow the rules and it will become second nature, and you will not have to think about it at all. What you eat is a social conditioning, most people will never alter their diet from what their mum fed them as babies, only those rare individuals who have a strong will and desire for a normal-sized, healthy body can do it. Even the grossly obese have trouble with my path. You may feel low on energy for a few days or weeks, but as soon as you keto-adapt to zero-carbs that will pass and your energy will be increased.

When many people have no food and some people have a hard job doing good work or being a nice person then I feel sorry for my self!

Nicola

livingthelife

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 12:55:48 am »
and you are not interested in other aspects of life

To whom does this refer? The folks I've encountered here seem to have full and rewarding lives or are actively pursuing this as a goal

livingthelife

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 01:01:48 am »
Well if thinking about food ....  posting menu's

The internet is full of sites for all types of interests, food in general being a huge "hobby" for many - there are sites dedicated only to baking, only to dining out, etc... There are television stations devoted only to food, festivals surrounding food...

This is not to mention the 90% of other sites, television stations, festivals, etc dedicated to cars, photography, fashion, coin collecting, etc.

Food has been a "popular" (meaning "drawing people together") issue since ancient times, probably always.

I'm sorry you are feeling stressed about this. Perhaps you could immerse yourself in a non-food hobby?

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 02:13:03 am »
Food has been a "popular" (meaning "drawing people together") issue since ancient times, probably always.

I'm sorry you are feeling stressed about this. Perhaps you could immerse yourself in a non-food hobby?

Yes but is your diet what you eat with others? Is a raw heart what in eat with others?

Charles says that food is not entertainment but at least he can eat a steak (grain or grass fed) with others!

You have the most nicest hobby; your family!

Nicola

livingthelife

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 02:36:40 am »
Yes, I'm lucky to have my family to spend time with and many do seem to feel that the RAF food choice is isolating.

I actually prefer to eat alone, though, because I consider it a sacred act, and not "entertainment," as you mentioned. This is not because of RAF, either. It's so that I can fully focus on the food, experiencing and appreciating it. Now that I'm eating RAF, it only deepens the connection I feel with the abundance of life.

Perhaps that's a little far-out. But you aren't really alone, Nicola, we are all in this together. I appreciate you very much and hope that your unhappiness will soon pass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk