Author Topic: Fiber benefits article  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Fiber benefits article
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:51:48 pm »
Comments on the following article paragraph, please.

"Women who ate about 25 grams of fiber a day were 22 percent less likely to die during the nine-year study than those who ate only 10 grams daily. And the risk of death from heart disease, infections, and respiratory diseases was reduced by as much as 50 percent in in the high-fiber eaters, with the greatest benefit seen from consuming grains."
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/weight-loss-superfood-youre-not-eating-155600879.html

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Fiber benefits article
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 01:47:59 pm »
That didn't look like an "article" to me. It looked like an advertisement for Quaker oatmeal products.
One reason I say this is because of the Quaker ads all over the page. Another reason I say this is because the "study" referenced by the author has no source other than "a European report." The author claims to have a master's degree (MPH), but I know of no university that grants such a degree without requiring it's graduates to cite their sources.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 12:13:16 pm »
There's no way in hell, or heaven, that grains are better than fruit for health.

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:43:47 am »
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com.au/2009/12/butyric-acid-ancient-controller-of.html

I am convinced of the benefits of fermentable fibre... as it ferments into short chain fatty acids, which have profiles and effects similar to that of butyric acid.

Of course vegetables are going to be better than grains!

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »
Thanks to all comments.

I should have cited the article Polyvore cited.  Now I would like to invite comments on that article. It really advocates fiber intake.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:46:47 pm »
Thanks to all comments.

I should have cited the article Polyvore cited.  Now I would like to invite comments on that article. It really advocates fiber intake.

Absent health problems like Lex Rooker's, moderation is generally ideal.  Too much fiber is not all that healthy, either, most likely...and if you eat it at the expense of good-quality animal fats, then you can, of course, cause deficiencies.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:31 am »
Thanks, CK.

We all agree RAW is the best. And we all agree animal food is a must. What I am still trying to figure out is the percentage of animal vs plant food.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:28:14 pm »
Thanks, CK.

We all agree RAW is the best. And we all agree animal food is a must. What I am still trying to figure out is the percentage of animal vs plant food.

In hot weather, less fat and less meat.

In cold weather, more fat and meat, less fruit.

As far as the exact percentages, you just have to pay attention to your own health.  I do agree that eating Instincto style can be helpful, but it's easy to overdo fruit that way, if you aren't careful.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 01:30:03 pm »
Thanks, CK.

Instincto could be helpful. But almost all our foods are grown/raised/"improved" by human hands. So intelligence is still needed.

Something that confuses me on this forum is: On one hand some people cite scientific studies to prove some points; on the other hand, some people dismiss scientific studies as based on "cooked" foods or as conspiracies of the government/big businesses.

William

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 04:41:36 am »

Something that confuses me on this forum is: On one hand some people cite scientific studies to prove some points; on the other hand, some people dismiss scientific studies as based on "cooked" foods or as conspiracies of the government/big businesses.

Most so-called scientific studies are not scientific - they are merely propaganda.
And most "scientists"  are not.
The China Study is a good example, as the conclusions of the "scientists" were not supported by the evidence. Or so it is written, as I have not seen the whole study.
Another good example is Carl Sagan (troll) versus Immanuel Velikovsky (genuine scientist).

A couple of years ago I looked at the online dictionaries for a definition of science, could not find one that made sense. Same for "the scientific method".

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 12:49:31 pm »
Thanks, William.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 08:05:39 am »
Fiber Myth  / Gut Sense blasts the pro-fiber arguments out of the water.

http://www.gutsense.org/reports/myth.html
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk