Author Topic: Almond butter  (Read 9973 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forager
    • View Profile
Almond butter
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:53:05 pm »
I've been buying almond butter almost once a month for the past 4 months and I'm wondering if I'm consuming too much. Are there any dangerous side effects from eating too much almond butter?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: Almond butter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 03:37:06 pm »
I've been buying almond butter almost once a month for the past 4 months and I'm wondering if I'm consuming too much. Are there any dangerous side effects from eating too much almond butter?

Of course there is, as with any processed stuff. But you can't eat too much of raw unprocessed and unmixed almonds, as with everything unprocessed.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline l0rdcha0s

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:19:04 am »
What about homemade almond butter or other nut butters? I use eggs, honey and butter (all raw) mixed with the nuts that have been ground down to crumbs.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:36:43 am »
What about homemade almond butter or other nut butters? I use eggs, honey and butter (all raw) mixed with the nuts that have been ground down to crumbs.

You're more likely to overeat it by grinding it and mixing it with other foods.

I don't recommend nut butters.  I know a LOT of raw vegans who've gotten pretty sick from overeating nut butters.

Offline l0rdcha0s

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:42:07 pm »
I usually might have 3-4 very small spoonfuls at a time. Healthy meat is expensive, trying to figure out how much I can afford eating each day while trying to find other good food to pad my diet with.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 11:45:01 pm »
i dont think you have to worry about small amounts in moderation.  vegans or anyone who has made themselves sick off almond butter were probably in a situation where it was making up a large part of their caloric intake or had no self control and prone to binge on it.  it does have high omega 6 to 3 ratio and all nuts have some kind of anti nutrients in the form of phytic acid.  both of these at high levels are unhealthy.  macadamia nuts have a pretty low level of phytic acid, i think they are the lowest of the tree nuts.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:55:52 pm »
I usually might have 3-4 very small spoonfuls at a time. Healthy meat is expensive, trying to figure out how much I can afford eating each day while trying to find other good food to pad my diet with.

Try shopping around. I stayed with one source of animal foods for a while, until I realized it was crushing my bank account. When I looked around I found MUCH cheaper sources, of just as high quality or better animal foods.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:49 am »
dabass: truth
almond butter is not cheap either...id rather eat egg yolks :0

Offline l0rdcha0s

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 12:23:15 am »
True I'm looking around. It's hard being on Long Island. I just joined a CSA that delivers from PA once a week from two different farms. They have a whole array of different animals. Just have to find where my budget is and get some variety. Still haven't ate any raw chicken though. Next order I'll have to pick some up and eventually try it.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:17 am »
True I'm looking around. It's hard being on Long Island. I just joined a CSA that delivers from PA once a week from two different farms. They have a whole array of different animals. Just have to find where my budget is and get some variety. Still haven't ate any raw chicken though. Next order I'll have to pick some up and eventually try it.

I was a member of something similar sourced in PA, called Miller's Organic Farm.

But I just found out about a farm called White Oak Pastures. Literally EVERYTHING is a fraction of the price there.

IE. marrow bones - Millers $9.50/lb - WOP $9/2.5 lbs

Also Miller's charges 24% shipping on orders under $100.

Just be careful. Some places are really making a fortune.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline l0rdcha0s

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 12:45:49 am »
Well from what I was getting out here, the farms seem to be a little cheaper. They're currently out of stock so they don't have a price on the marrow to compare but they seem to be about 2 dollars cheaper a pound then the meat I was getting here. Just gotta pay shipping on the order though.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 04:15:05 am »
If you live on long island I would invest in a salt water fishing pole

Offline l0rdcha0s

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 05:06:52 am »
If you live on long island I would invest in a salt water fishing pole
Yeah I've thought about that. Just not sure how safe the waters around the island are.

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:25:30 pm »
Well to be careful I would figure out which fish are the ones that go up river (stripe bass is the only one I know of) or the ones who hang out at the mouth of rivers and avoid those. Would take some research. You can get on a party boat and go 15 miles out or so, should be clean by then.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think that fish are afforded a certain amount of protection simply because they live in ocean brine. I am not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if even the most organic grass fed meats are no less contaminated from air pollution. I wouldn't be too worried about it, but that's me. But I would be a little bit worried about the species, cause certain kinds of ocean fish like to subsist on human fecal matter found at the mouth of rivers!

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 03:57:34 pm »
Well to be careful I would figure out which fish are the ones that go up river (stripe bass is the only one I know of) or the ones who hang out at the mouth of rivers and avoid those. Would take some research. You can get on a party boat and go 15 miles out or so, should be clean by then.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think that fish are afforded a certain amount of protection simply because they live in ocean brine. I am not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if even the most organic grass fed meats are no less contaminated from air pollution. I wouldn't be too worried about it, but that's me. But I would be a little bit worried about the species, cause certain kinds of ocean fish like to subsist on human fecal matter found at the mouth of rivers!
[/b]

WTF?? Are sardines one of these fishes??

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 03:58:01 pm »
i dont think you have to worry about small amounts in moderation.  vegans or anyone who has made themselves sick off almond butter were probably in a situation where it was making up a large part of their caloric intake or had no self control and prone to binge on it.  it does have high omega 6 to 3 ratio and all nuts have some kind of anti nutrients in the form of phytic acid.  both of these at high levels are unhealthy.  macadamia nuts have a pretty low level of phytic acid, i think they are the lowest of the tree nuts.

From my understanding, you can binge on macadamias since they are basically monounsaturated fats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk