Author Topic: The "Bear" Is Lieing?  (Read 16755 times)

xylothrill

Re: The "Bear" Is Lieing?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 01:41:25 pm »
Can you guys give me a quick course on "The Bear?" He's some internet paleo guru correct? How long has he been that, and what other things can I learn about him? I just want to be able to keep up in the arguments  -[

The Bear aka Owsley Stanley:
His own essay on diet and exercise: http://www.thebear.org/essays1.html#anchor496162
Copies of his posts on Active Low Carber: http://activenocarber.myfreeforum.org/ftopic22.php
Wikipedia on The Bear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owsley_Stanley

I wouldn't say he's a "guru" but he has a (cooked) zero-carb following. I didn't find out about him until after I started raw paleo. I also wouldn't care to follow his diet after experiencing raw paleo for myself. The bear is not raw, nor is he Paleo. He's only zero carb.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:47:33 pm by Craig »

xylothrill

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 01:58:09 pm »
I found this on the zerocarbage forum, it is not entirely true in my opinion.... What do you think?

"The Bear Wrote:
I have eaten nothing but sirloin steaks for months on end, but I do like eggs cheese, many cuts of meat, even organs like liver tongue kidneys and brains (although the Inuit never eat any of them- and most likely neither did the true paleo hunters). Fish and chicken are nice too, in fact I have never 'met' an animal I would not eat."

The eskimos never ate organs? THis must not be true.I also have seen a old video of an Eskimo man gathering sea bird eggs on a cliff.

The Bear has never ever come up with the studies he's claimed to have lost. I believe he eats what he says he does but I don't believe it's healthful at all....or at least AS healthful as raw paleo.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 09:41:50 pm »
Well I really like that he's out there. It's kind of like Marilyn Manson, I don't listen to his music but I'm glad he exists in the world. If all that's true about the LSD chemist and Grateful Dead connection, plus his art is pretty cool, than he sounds like a very cool person to me and I'd love to meet him. Of course I still disagree with him on diet, as to what the natural human diet is, but what he eats certainly doesn't bother me. Really interesting person.

Offline avalon

• Forum Clown
  • Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 04:45:28 am »
The Bear has never ever come up with the studies he's claimed to have lost. I believe he eats what he says he does but I don't believe it's healthful at all....or at least AS healthful as raw paleo.
Yeah, those lost studies... if you're going to mention them, at least paleo the piper, yes?   ;D

Offline feral

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 08:46:40 am »
First of all, the above insects were almost certainly farmed. Pre-agriculture, I'll admit that one could eat raw meats infested with maggots(assuming, that is, that they liked such fare, I certainly don't) but that's about it.

Acorns aren't too digestible by humans. I believe they were a last-resort "starvation-food" in mediaeval times, but not a staple, otherwise.

One point about eating plants is that if you get most of your calories from plant-food then that requires that you need to  spend most of your time eating whereas carnivores are able to take time off, due to the high level of energy from animal foods.

I would like to point out, that for many primates, insects are a preferred food.  Generally they are a small, but arguably important part.  However, when they are plentiful insects can make up a majority of the diet.

Edit:  After a brief google search:
"Insect food is the predominant animal matter resource for primates. Insects are eaten by all extant apes, i.e., chimpanzees (e.g., Lawick-Goodall 1968), orang-utans (Gladikas-Brindamour1), gorillas (Fossey2), gibbons (Chivers 1972, R. L. Tilson3), and the siamang (Chivers 1972), and by most monkeys and prosimians. The amount of insect matter in most primate diets is small, but may expand to more than 90% of the diet when insects are abundant and easily captured. Since palatable and accessible prey species often occur only seasonally (Hamilton et al. 1978, Hausfater 1976), the amount of animal matter in primate diets can change dramatically throughout the year."

http://www.curtbusse.com/pubs/HamiltonBusse1978.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk