Author Topic: raw home-raised rabbit meat, and squirrel?  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Nora

• Forager
    • View Profile
raw home-raised rabbit meat, and squirrel?
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:49:11 pm »
I am a raw-meat newbie. I have just started eating raw GF beef. I am thinking of getting an air rifle to shoot squirrels and would like to eat them raw. Has anyone on this forum tried raw squirrel? Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations/advice for me regarding raw squirrel? I am also thinking of raising rabbits for meat in my small back yard and eating them raw, organs and all. Does anyone on this forum eat raw rabbit? Does anyone have any info or tips about raw rabbit that I ought to be aware of?
Thanks!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: raw home-raised rabbit meat, and squirrel?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:15:12 pm »
There's not much meat on a squirrel.

I think  you'd be better off just raising rabbits. Just feed them fresh greens (high Brix, if possible), and they should make good eating.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:30:38 pm »
I haven't tried raw squirrel yet, but I have tried raw rabbits and there was precious little meat on them, so I switched to raw wild hare which has tons of meat. The trouble is that eating it raw means it's more difficult to get the meat off, as well. No idea about raising them - never bothered as I preferred the hares to be wildcaught. I would buy them from farmer's markets regularly  as just one carcass provided me with food for 2-3 days and cost me very little.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Cavecloth.com

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:45:51 am »
I agree with tyler, a wild hare will yield a lot more meat. If you decide to hunt squirrel, most people use a shotgun with a number 6 or 8 shot. If you go this route, make sure you get all the shot out of the squirrel BEFORE you chomp down.

That's an easy way to break a tooth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk