Author Topic: Salmonella - Why do we get it? How do we get it?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Poncho

• Elder
    • View Profile
Salmonella - Why do we get it? How do we get it?
« on: January 06, 2013, 06:45:37 am »
I was reading about raw pet food, and it was said that salmonella is not a concern. They said that salmonella has even been found in commercial pet foods. So animals can eat raw meat with zero concern, but we cant? Or is there a way that we can? I want to know what I actually have to bother myself with worrying about. Someone please ease my anxiety and fear haha

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Salmonella - Why do we get it? How do we get it?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:53:15 am »
Look, a study once showed that salmonella exists in 38% of all american households. Yet, obviously, there is no salmonella epidemic over there. It's all about the environment. If one is eating unhealthy cooked food which has also been  previously raised in intensively-farmed, very unhealthy environments, one is far more likely to get "infected". If one is eating raw, high quality food, then one is quite safe. In other words, there are no "pathogens", just "unhealthy environments".
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Poncho

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:53 am »
Okay, thank you :) All of the grass raised organic meat I can typically find are frozen and vacuum sealed in plastic. I heard that there was a danger to do with vacuum sealed meat. Something about the lack of oxygen?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41:18 pm »
Okay, thank you :) All of the grass raised organic meat I can typically find are frozen and vacuum sealed in plastic. I heard that there was a danger to do with vacuum sealed meat. Something about the lack of oxygen?
There was a claim that a lack of oxygen encouraged anaerobic bacteria such as botulinism-producing agents. I found that leaving them unaerated for a week was fine, with 10 days as amaximum. After 10 days, the meat starts tasting very odd, worse than if it had just rotted along with some oxygen.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk