Author Topic: hard coconut meat  (Read 7833 times)

Offline Hanna

• Shaman
    • View Profile
hard coconut meat
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:04:58 pm »
A few days ago I ate hard coconut meat. Although its taste is fine, it seems to be impossible for me to digest it properly (and no instinct will protect me against the resulting indigestion). I even guess there is nobody else who is able to digest hard coconut meat properly and completely. The only possibility (for me) to get all the nutrients out of it and not to risk indigestion seems to be to make coconut cream out of it. Coconut meat is too expensive and precious to throw it on the compost heap... How about you?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
Re: hard coconut meat
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:55 pm »
I never had any problem to digest coconuts whatever their state, be they young with soft flesh, old ripe ones with hard flesh or germinated ones. The germ is something entirely different, soft and sweet.

First make a hole by the proper one of the 3 small round marks to get the water and drink it. Then you can break the nut on its "equator" by smashing it on rock or concrete. You are then able to cut the flesh with a rounded knife.

What did you eat in the same meal - if you ate something else before or after?

In Europe, ripe coconuts are available in supermarkets for a little more than 1 € each. The problem is that they are often too old and moldy inside, with no way to be sure they are still good when you buy them. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:24:29 pm by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: hard coconut meat
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:44:01 pm »
I never had any problem to digest coconuts whatever their state, be they young with soft flesh, old ripe ones with hard flesh or germinated ones. The germ is something entirely different, soft and sweet.

First make a hole by the proper one of the 3 small round marks to get the water and drink it. Then you can break the nut on its "equator" by smashing it on rock or concrete. You are then able to cut the flesh with a rounded knife.

What did you eat in the same meal - if you ate something else before or after?

In Europe, ripe coconuts are available in supermarkets for a little more than 1 € each. The problem is that they are often too old and moldy inside, with no way to be sure they are still good when you buy them. 

Many people have trouble digesting mature coconut meat, including me.

My advice is just to make coconut cream or milk, using a blender and a strainer, if you really want to eat the coconut.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk