Author Topic: Meats and eggs  (Read 4920 times)

Offline ant

• Forager
    • View Profile
Meats and eggs
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:54:21 pm »
How do you typically eat them? Do you have any particular meats to eat or should you exclude commercial ones or anything? How about chickens with randomized diets? How about wild fishes? How about eggs , should they be organic?

Should you be worried about tapeworms , parasites , bacteria etc.? Is there any method in minimizing them?

I don't know anything but I really want to try and eat raw meats with a good safe start. Thanks.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Meats and eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:04:58 pm »
No need to worry about tapeworms etc. In the 1 in a 1,000,000 chance you ever get them, there are anti-parasitical pharmaceutical drugs which get rid of them fast.

All animal food should be either  100% grassfed or wild game, and always raw.

Eggs  and chickens should be pastured. Organic is "less worse" than nonorganic but "pastured" is way better than organic.

Most long-termers eat raw meats/eggs on their own. I sometimes mix raw meats and raw eggs to make a steak tartare.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:07:06 pm »
No need to worry about tapeworms etc. In the 1 in a 1,000,000 chance you ever get them, there are anti-parasitical pharmaceutical drugs which get rid of them fast.
Never got any in 26 years...

All animal food should be either  100% grassfed or wild game, and always raw.
Eggs  and chickens should be pastured.
… and should have never received any heated, processed food nor any wheat or triticale as well as no medicine. They should have no access to garbage and cooked leftovers either.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »
Beef, lamb, goat, buffalo, etc. should be grass fed or wild. Fish should be wild caught. Eggs should be pastured/ roaming on fields eating bugs and grass. You could also ask the farmer what he's feeding them. If you can find soy free pastured eggs that's not to bad. My farmer has soy free eggs, that occasionally eat beef and pork that's been left out to accumulate fly eggs and get maggots. He says the chickens love them.

Also, for food safety, check out - http://www.eatwild.com/foodsafety.html
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline ant

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 09:41:59 pm »
Thanks guys. Follow-up questions.

On raw wild-caught fishes , I'll just eat them raw style like fruits... once they are bought , I'll just set them out and eat em??

On grass-fed beef and other meats , how about if they aren't really 100% grassfed since it's pretty hard to buy in an urbanized city and possible some people will lie in markets claiming this and that? Is there any indication if they are eating a grass-fed diet?

On eggs , does it really matter if they are organic/pastured/free-range? If I couldn't get pastured ones , I'll just go to free-range organic right? What if I have eggs bought from a market or store and they are not labeled should I eat them raw?

Thank you!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:58:03 pm »
You should whenever possible get hold of raw animal foods direct from the producer/farmer/hunter. Farmers' markets are sometimes a great source, though some don't sell raw animal foods.

Grassfed meat can sometimes involve animals fed grains over the winter, if in colder climes. Not too good. Best  one can do is rely on taste and ask the farmer directly. Few will lie, indeed some foolish farmers have even boasted to me of feeding their animals on grains, in the delusion that this is healthy.

Some supermarkets sell genuine grassfed lamb from New Zealand. That is an option.

I avoid raw eggs mostly as I can't get hold of the pastured kind. I make an exception for raw goose and raw quail eggs as they seem to taste better, but even then I don't have them too regularly.

But, yes, get hold of organic, free-range raw eggs if you can't find anything else.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:02:23 pm »
On raw wild-caught fishes , I'll just eat them raw style like fruits... once they are bought , I'll just set them out and eat em??

Pretty much. You just leave it out and eat it. If you're worried about fish parasites you can freeze it for 2 weeks, or buy it frozen.

On grass-fed beef and other meats , how about if they aren't really 100% grassfed since it's pretty hard to buy in an urbanized city and possible some people will lie in markets claiming this and that? Is there any indication if they are eating a grass-fed diet?

On eggs , does it really matter if they are organic/pastured/free-range? If I couldn't get pastured ones , I'll just go to free-range organic right? What if I have eggs bought from a market or store and they are not labeled should I eat them raw?

It sounds like you're having trouble finding high quality meats. There's a few links you could try.

http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/

http://www.westonaprice.org/local-chapters/find-local-chapter

http://www.eatwild.com/products/
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:03:45 pm »
Which country are you from?
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk