Author Topic: How often do you eat organs? (for carnivores)  (Read 16327 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
How often do you eat organs? (for carnivores)
« on: December 08, 2008, 10:49:16 pm »
I was wondering how often some of you eat organs?

How often? How much? and why?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
Re: How often do you eat organs? (for carnivores)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:41:37 am »
I was wondering how often some of you eat organs?

How often? How much? and why?

I've eaten (raw) heart a couple of times, (raw) kidney a couple of times, (raw) eyeball once and liver more often.  Mostly I don't eat organ meat more often because I don't want frozen and it's too hard for me to find pasture grazed.  Kidney also I have to eat fast or give to the raccoons, as it gets urine-like tasting after a day.  I would like to try adrenals, etc, but am not sure how to get it.  I was told I'd have to take all the organs of one animal if I order it at a local market.  I can't imagine myself eating that much organ.  I wish I was part of a local tribe. I probably just have to get off my butt and hunt if I'm to get those.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Dan

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 03:38:16 pm »
Unless vienna sausages count, never.

I'm trying some raw liver for the first time tomorrow.  I'm not sure it could be any worse than braunschweiger.

Offline babetteq

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:43:29 am »
I've just started to eat organs after 1.5 years on muscle meat and dairy. I'm trying to eat liver once a month (it's taking a bit for me to like it) and hearts, I enjoy and they're cheap, so whenever I have a hankerin'. Kidney, I'll have to work up to. I figure if I'm eating some kind of organ a few times a month, then I'll get everything I need. I don't know what numbers we're "supposed" to eat. I just figure some is better than others. Liver I can't eat cooked. I sear it quickly (really quickly) just because I don't like it cold.
I do what I do because it feels good. I don't care what you do. But if it doesn't work, please don't complain. Just change it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:14:24 am »
Try raw tongue, it's one of the easier raw organs-meats for newbie, as regards taste. Initially, you will probably feel the need to eat only the lighter-coloured slab-like parts and remove the tip of the tongue and the stringier, darker-coloured half of the tongue , but in time you will dtart to enjoy the taste of the whole tongue.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline CHK91

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 04:49:13 am »
On a typical day I eat an ounce of liver and about 1/4 pound of some other organ meat (usually heart/kidney/spleen).
All I want is the truth... Just gimme some truth.
"I wanna be the minority."

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 06:09:22 am »
Once I received a whole liver and ate about 0.5- 1 lbs a day, over did it and now I have no appetite for it.
I eat a good amount of heart, maybe one every two weeks. Delicious ;D
Tongue is great. Eyeballs are ok. Brain is my favorite.

Offline Max

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 03:56:51 am »
I am also wondering how many lbs a week of organs the ZC's eat because I am starting ZC today and would like to know how much organ meat is necessary.  I ate about 1/3lb of kidney today.  It was difficult.  I did not enjoy the flavor.
"The strong white teeth sank into the raw and dripping flesh in apparent relish of the meal, but Clayton could not bring himself to share the uncooked meat with his strange host; instead he watched him, and presently there dawned upon him the conviction that this was Tarzan of the Apes....." - Edgar Rice Burroughs, 'Tarzan of the Apes'

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 08:35:25 am »
i don't have a very good answer.. i just eat them when i feel like.  i don't eat kidney.  i tried it once and i just really strongly don't like it at all.  i like sweetbreads and liver and heart. spleen is tolerable, but i don't like it very much either.  that's all i've tried so far. 

and i might be a wimp cuz i don't eat them straight.  i get it from my local farmer who just adds it ground into my ground beef, so they just add a great flavor.  At first I asked my farmer for it to be about 20% (5% each), and the last order was 40% (10% each). i wont increase that anytime soon (i don't think), i get full quickly the more organ meat. 

so my meals are either some kind of meat or this organ blend.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 01:00:11 am »
Every day I have either liver, heart or tongue as part of my one meal a day.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 05:37:48 am »
I am also wondering how many lbs a week of organs the ZC's eat because I am starting ZC today and would like to know how much organ meat is necessary.  I ate about 1/3lb of kidney today.  It was difficult.  I did not enjoy the flavor.

If you want to go ZC then you probably shouldn't eat organs.  They are high in sugar, thus high in carbs. 

On the whole I eat organs probably a few days each month.  I eat what I can get inexpensively that's still grass fed and grass finished.  This usually includes heart, kidney, and liver.  I eat bone marrow or suet usually once each day, and muscle meat most everyday as well.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 04:22:39 am »
If you want to go ZC then you probably shouldn't eat organs.  They are high in sugar, thus high in carbs. 

Zero carb doesn't literally mean zero. I eat TONS of organs and sometimes I get up to 10 grams of carbs a day from eggs, organs and spices. I am Zero Carb. There are no SUGARS in organ meats.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:24 am »
Zero carb doesn't literally mean zero. I eat TONS of organs and sometimes I get up to 10 grams of carbs a day from eggs, organs and spices. I am Zero Carb. There are no SUGARS in organ meats.
liver has glycogen
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 03:54:31 am »
Who cares?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 01:47:45 pm »

Ever try fermenting it in a bottle into highmeat?  It changes kidney as a food for the better, in my opinion.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 03:12:55 pm »
    Ever try fermenting it in a bottle into highmeat?  It changes kidney as a food for the better, in my opinion.
Once I left liver in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
In the jar, the juices came out. Fermenting into what could only be described as the meatiest soda pop ever <3

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 07:31:23 pm »
Once I left liver in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
In the jar, the juices came out. Fermenting into what could only be described as the meatiest soda pop ever <3
Prob also the smelliest soda ever  ;D
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 10:26:40 pm »
My current organs are: pork heart, beef heart, lamb pancreas, beef tongue and calf/beef liver. I rotate these with eggs, and the main part of the one meal is grassfed beef or organic bison, raw.

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 03:13:19 am »
^ Thats a wide array of organs. How bad does pancreas taste? Do you cook it?. -v
I'm actually a really nice guy, once you get to blow me.

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 12:19:39 pm »
The sweetbreads are delicious. I hate the taste of lamb, but sweetbreads have no taste--so you can add "flavor" to them.  I eat my grassfed beef/bison raw, but like to warm organs in the pan with a cover (just warm or searing). Sweetbreads taste great with sea salt and grassfed butter.

Beef heart is the best organ meat ever...and beef tongue!

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 02:02:26 am »
I seem to have taken to organ meats early on but muscle meat has gotten even more expensive..getting over 7.00 per ground GF beef (which is unfortunately mostly 90/10) or ground NZ lamb (~85?)..and not exactly nutrient dense to base a diet around so I've reduced my muscle meat considerably again but increased my organ consumption..so I don't stress as much about eating the regular ground GF meat or lamb more consistently or any nutrition lost in such process.

In a way even if I was to think of these ground meats and fats I consume as 'empty calories'
of energy and protein I would still have a wider range of nutrients coming from regular doses of whole organs/bone marrow/raw butter/cream and a small but wide sampling of seasonal fruits, occasional vegetables, wild herbs, and teas. Ideally some wild game and possibly more seafoods would be on the table more often.  

I do eat some seafoods, chicken, slankers pork (red and divine) and store buffalo

Less muscle meat/protein and even more fats, slightly more carbs and sunshine seems to be going good this summer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk