Author Topic: Tips On Moving Away From Fruit  (Read 6512 times)

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Tips On Moving Away From Fruit
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:05:27 am »
Okay so I have another problem, fruit. I love fruit, but I can't control my self with it. It's like I know, one peace of fruit a day would be just fine, but I always end up eating like 4 or 5 peaces. Then I end up spiking my blood sugar ext ext, and I'm back to square one. Honey is the same thing it spikes my blood sugar, so I'm thinking I just should avoid sugar for the time being. The problem is, the further I get away from sugars, the more insane my panic attacks become. I've only made it 28 hours away from sugars so far. Does any one have any experience with this? I don't believe we as humans should avoid fruit, I also don't believe we should avoid greens I think ditching them permanently is a bad move. However; at the present time I think it's not what my body needs. So how long does the "sugar" detox last? lol.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tips On Moving Away From Fruit
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:38:29 am »
How long have you been raw paleo?  I know that when I first started I ate alot of fruit.  I just craved it intuitively.  I slowly progressed towards less and less of it, but anytime I go off the diet for more than a day, I start craving alot more fruit.  Also, have you tried non-sweet or non-ripe fruit?  Peppers, tomato, avocado, cucumbers, papaya, young coconut flesh and water (tho its a nut).  Ways to somewhat avoid the blood sugar spike: 

- Eat fruit in combination with eggs.  Most all berries (and tomato is a berry) go well with eggs.  So does honey.  Citrus also combines, but not quite as well.  Don't do pineapple/eggs, bad idea, mostly, just try and stick with berries/eggs.

-Coconut oil (Jungle is the only brand 100% raw that I've found - call the manufacturer).  I don't consider coconut oil an ideal food, but it's not all that bad in moderate amounts.  It can definitely help in the transition phase, and is great on the skin/hair. 

-Fresh young coconuts.  I drink 1 a day, and often eat the flesh from the inside w/ honey and fruit right before a workout.  It is soft and somewhat mushy, contains a good amount of fat.  I normally don't eat nuts as they're usually hard to digest (especially old coconuts - dark and fibrous), but make an exception here.  I consider this more ideal than eating coconut oil.   

The idea here is to use fat as a means to regulate the release of sugar into the blood stream.  Again, I don't consider any of this ideal in large quantities, but everyone's different and in different phases/stages.  If you're going to eat alot of fruit, probably better to figure out a way to mix with fat.  Morning and a few hours after lunch are good times to eat fruit.  I like to eat acidic fruit or papaya late in the afternoon as I notice they tend to clear the digestive system and help bowel movements along, especially if I'm feeling clogged.

But overall, if you're sticking consistently to raw paleo, listen to your instincts - and you will gradually move in the right direction for your own body.

When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:41:12 am »
Okay so I have another problem, fruit. I love fruit, but I can't control my self with it. It's like I know, one peace of fruit a day would be just fine, but I always end up eating like 4 or 5 peaces. Then I end up spiking my blood sugar ext ext, and I'm back to square one. Honey is the same thing it spikes my blood sugar, so I'm thinking I just should avoid sugar for the time being. The problem is, the further I get away from sugars, the more insane my panic attacks become. I've only made it 28 hours away from sugars so far. Does any one have any experience with this? I don't believe we as humans should avoid fruit, I also don't believe we should avoid greens I think ditching them permanently is a bad move. However; at the present time I think it's not what my body needs. So how long does the "sugar" detox last? lol.

If you love fruit and believe humans should live with fruit, then maybe you shouldn't avoid it.  Our instincts are important.  When I started, it was easy, as everyone in my home prefered everything cooked.  So I only bought I small orange every day, ate a third of it per meal with other foods, lots of fats until I felt satiated.  What happens when your bg level spikes?  How do you know?  Me, personally, just having a few (fresh raw organic) strawberries the other evening and my heart felt like it went into panic mode.  Then tonight I ate some and my heart was normal but I started coughing a couple minutes later (but it did not continue).  What makes you feel healthy?  Whatever does, why don't you eat that till you feel full, and then you won't have room for fruit. 

Otherwise how are you feeling?  It takes time to adjust.  I find eating raw animal fats almost always allow me relax enough, that I can do what I want.  Even bathing with raw coconut fat and raw lime helps the relaxation, and detox through skin.  I'm not sure I believe in detox though, people blame it on everything.  I mean yeah, your body cleans things out, but I think the mind and heart are big things here.  Have you started the yolk flush yet?  Feel better.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 10:56:27 am »
I'm feeling on and off. It's really too early to start jumping for joy or saying it doesn't work. Here is a summary so far of the pros and cons:

Pros

Thought patterns are more stable
Writing and organization better
Nausea from last week was completely taken out by raw milk cheese
Memory is better
Getting tons of memories coming back to me
Sense of smell is better
Currently less stiff necks
Feeling like my introspective side is coming back
The rotting feeling I had from all the plant fats has subsided
Realized that when I include salt/fermented foods, my acne flares up
Dark circles under my eyes are going away.

Cons

Was having 3 large bowel movements a day before, now only 1 medium sized
Getting smelly gas
At times having gastritis, acid reflux and burning pains
Body feels achy at times
Bad breath in the morning
Intense Emotions(No where near as intense as 80/10/10 high fruit low fat diet)
Anxiety/Panic
MASSIVE sugar cravings

Again, too early to gauge. Just have to wait and see! Many interesting mental developments are taking place though, can't explain all of them. But I'll say this, I now feel comfortable that I'm not going to end up deficient. Being a raw vegan kind of gave me this sense that I was wasting my self, right now I'm feeling like I'm doing the right thing.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 12:07:50 pm »

Pros
Thought patterns are more stable, Writing and organization better, Nausea from last week was completely taken out by raw milk cheese, Memory is better, Getting tons of memories coming back to me, Sense of smell is better, Currently less stiff necks, Feeling like my introspective side is coming back, The rotting feeling I had from all the plant fats has subsided, Realized that when I include salt/fermented foods my acne flares up, Dark circles under my eyes are going away.

Cons
Was having 3 large bowel movements a day before, now only 1 medium sized, Getting smelly gas, At times having gastritis, acid reflux and burning pains, Body feels achy at times, Bad breath in the morning, Intense Emotions(No where near as intense as 80/10/10 high fruit low fat diet), Anxiety/Panic, MASSIVE sugar cravings...

Sense of smell is very important.  It can tell you a lot of things, not just about food.  Fermented foods don't have to be necessary, there's no problem.  That's good.  That's :) great about the dark circles.  On the vegan forums there are people complaining of switching to vegan and getting those circles for the first time, and the people who repond to them there say that it's not unhealthy, a good sign, less fat! 

Are you eating a smaller quantity of food?  Could your body be using more of the nutrients? so there's less to discard?  Is the gas constant?  Or after fermented vegetables?  spices?  onions?  Did you ever have gastritis, reflux or burning before?  I get a little reflux when I eat too many carbs (while I'm eating AFs).  Celery parsley juice takes away bad breath.  Bad breath can be something you need to work on spiritually maybe, something to work out.  Is it different emotions?  The anxiety may be due to the nature of the animal you're eating.  Each kind has different temperaments and propensities.  Maybe you prefer the Wai Diet, where you eat a lot of fruit and fish?  I think if you make fats a priority each meal and a little after juice maybe, that it can help work on MASSIVE sugar cravings maybe.       
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 06:48:44 pm »

Are your fruits sugar bombs?  My fruits are my hydrating buddies... my fruits are my water substitutes and they are not sugar bombs.

What kind of fruits are you having?  Please specify.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 10:20:08 pm »
Okay over the weekend for example I ate a whole crap load of dates and spiked my blood sugar out of control. Yesterday however I had apples, oranges, bananas and pomegranates and I wasn't doing too bad. Most fruit can spike my blood sugar however dates are the worst. Figs I seem to be okay with surprisingly. When I can I love to have mangoes as well.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 11:04:20 pm »
By the way, even though coconut is a nut. It is also,  kind of a fruit. Fruit=Any part of the plant which encases the seed. But the coconut itself is the seed. Remember, botany terms differ from culinary terms.

Anyway.

Many fruits currently have been mutated through domestication and selective breeding. They simply didn't exist before, or don't resemble closely to their wild counter parts. The domesticated varieties usually contain more sugar (unless they were breed to be tart) and more flesh than wild varieties. This goes for vegetables too, especially carrots. There are exceptions though. Some wild plants contain a lot of sugar.

A couple suggestions

*Only eat wild plants.

*Don't eat sweet foods at all. (go cold turkey)

*Or only eat fruits with very mild sweetness. (cranberries for example)

*Avoid honey (unless you come upon it in the wild, which will ultimately bring your honey consumption probably to zero)

I had the same probably. What is working for me currently is eating no plants at all. I may eat some wild plants in the spring. But there is no wild plants to eat in Wisconsin winter right now.

Our ancestors probably usually ate plants when meat was in shortage. If you can afford a constant supply of meat, why eat plants if you can adapt to an all animal diet.

So it all depends on what you believe and what you can handle mentally. Your body may be able to adapt to a all Raw Animal Food Diet, but your mind may not want to.

JaX

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:52 am »
Have to completely agree with Sully on this one.

I don't know where you live DameonWolf, but in most parts of the world, if you were to go out in the wild without any food and try to survive in wild nature, you better have something to hunt animals with you. I have numerous times thought about what would happen if a vegan was set out in a forest near where I live. The vegan would either starve to death in a month, or accidentally poison themselves by trying to consume some wild plant.

There are many toxic plants in wild nature so your best bet is to eat stuff that moves lol.

Even if a person found a wild fruit tree in nature, wild fruits contain less calories than domesticated hybrids.. the entire tree wouldn't provide enough calories for even medium term survival.

A vegan could only survive if you let them out on a human created farm (such as a fruit farm with many fruit trees) but that's not wild nature, and the vegan would probably get teeth problems if eating only sweet hybrid fruits and severe nutritional deficiencies after a very short time.

In the tropics where there are coconuts growing and other, more wild, exotic fruits, a human could survive longer without animal/fish meat. But in most parts of the world, this simply isn't the case.

*Avoid honey (unless you come upon it in the wild, which will ultimately bring your honey consumption probably to zero)

sully: you mean that if you eat a lot of wild honey you lose your taste for it?

JaX

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 01:08:44 am »
The problem is, the further I get away from sugars, the more insane my panic attacks become.

That right there is an indication that you have a sugar addiction or blood sugar problems. Try, for 2-4 weeks, to cut carbohydrates out completely. Zero carb approach. Muscle meats, organs, fish, eggs, cheese, butter. Keep them as organic and raw as possible.

After a couple of weeks of that, when your emotions are stable and you no longer crave sugary sweets as fruit with the same intensity, you can add vegetables back (above ground vegetables). After some time of low carb with vegetables, you can try reintroducing maybe 1-2 small pieces of fruit per day, and see how that works.

Don't worry about the lack of bowel movements. Proteins/fats are digested completely, so they don't produce waste.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 01:23:14 am »

sully: you mean that if you eat a lot of wild honey you lose your taste for it?
No, I mean if you only eat honey you can find by yourself in the wild, you will not consume a lot or none at all because it is seasonal and very hard to find in most geographical regions.

I wasn't suggesting to eat wild honey bought from a store or the internet that was gathered by other people.

Although, I have eaten wild Zambezi honey before, and the taste is much stronger than other honey I have tasted, so it might be less apitizing. It may be because of the type of nectar the bees fed on. The honey was very dark.

Offline DameonWolf

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 01:26:36 am »
Thanks for the advice every one, I'll be doing much experimentation in the times to come and I'll let you all know my progress.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk