Author Topic: Overdosing iodine with natural foods impossible?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Overdosing iodine with natural foods impossible?
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:37:50 pm »
The author says that bromines in seaweeds prevent iodine ovderdosis (from seaweeds) in our bodies.

Taken from:

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/iodine.html

"Seaweed contains both iodine and bromine, which generally means you can't overdose on iodine. The reason is simple: bromine displaces iodine. But when bromine and iodine are present together, it makes for iodine bioavailability, while bakery products high in bromine will displace the iodine. The interesting thing is when bromine and iodine (found in nature) as in seaweed are found together, once the body doesn't need iodine it can easily be removed due to the presence of bromine. I have not seen any case of excess iodine consumption from taking of seaweed, but I have seen quite often excess consumption of iodine when they are added in the salt and taken too much. The reason is nature presents us with many minerals in their respective ratios and their antagonism preventing such an overdose and allowing the body to achieve greater equilibrium. This issue appears to be consuming foods from natural rather than chemical if you fear of any possible overdose."

Löwenherz

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
Re: Overdosing iodine with natural foods impossible?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:53 pm »
I eat seaweeds every day.. sometimes quite a lot! And I had no issues so far, just  bit adjusting in my bowels the first weeks.. ;)
I absolutely believe in taking minerals naturally, in food not in supplements if only possible. I guess they absorb better too in their evolutionary package. :)

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:39 am »
I absolutely believe in taking minerals naturally, in food not in supplements if only possible. I guess they absorb better too in their evolutionary package. :)

Yes, that makes sense!

Today I found Wakame seaweeds in an Asian shop. I'm surprised how good they taste to me, much better than all other seaweeds I tried (and threw away) in the past..

Löwenherz

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:11:56 am »
Yes, Wakame is great! Very mild tasting! I eat any seaweed.. they all taste good to me now, and guess what, I never liked seaweeds before...?!  I guess I am addiced. I LOVE my seaweedwater dearly. I want to have couple of glasses every single day! I crave it..lol

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:19:10 pm »
A cousin of mine said she had thyroid problem from eating too much seasoned cooked purple laver sheets (which is often used to wrap sushi rolls). I don't know how much she ate. But she has been a slender woman who does not usually over eat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk