Author Topic: Glycogen Loading is a Major Dietary Blunder  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Glycogen Loading is a Major Dietary Blunder
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:32:08 am »
Greg Ellis talks about the carb loading nonsense and ketogenic diets based on meat + fat:

Glycogen Loading is a Major Dietary Blunder
I really like this slightly aggressive guy. He is 65 years old and has ENERGY!  ;)

Löwenherz

Offline l0rdcha0s

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Glycogen Loading is a Major Dietary Blunder
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:26:39 am »
I have to laugh at all the nonsense I believed when I first was trying to lose weight, gain muscle and get healthy. I wonder how much farther I would have been if I knew what I knew now back then. Thanks for the vid.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:29:26 am »
Yeah, Ellis looks good in this video, but when I snooped around his website, I got a very negative impression. Here's why:

His version of low carb would trigger insulin resistance symptoms for me, meaning that if I ate as much carbs as he suggests, I'd be tired and brain-foggy. He seems to balance so many carbs with recommendations of what I'd call an ultra-low calorie diet. I ran my height, weight, and age through his RMR calculator and got his recommendation of 1015 calories/day. Using his 25% carb recommendation, I'd be at 250 calories of carbs = over 60 g carbs per day. Not to mention that I'd be so hungry at that low of a calorie intake that I'd gnaw my arm off.

He is vehemently anti-everybody famous in the low-carb world. Sorry, I find Gary Taubes, Richard Atkins, Richard Bernstein, et. al., to be right on the mark. He puts down others' versions of low-carb eating because they include glycogen-loading weekends. As much as I've read, I've never heard that recommendation, so Ellis' advice sounds like a lot of railing against nothing.

His stance that you CAN eat a candy bar, if only you eat the right amount, is just wrong, IMO. It's another version of Weight Watchers thinking: "I can eat cookies all day if I just count my points."

Finally, his basic premise - that people can't sustain a restrictive carb intake because - because - because, well, they can't, just rubs me the wrong way.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline l0rdcha0s

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:25:44 am »
I didn't read too much into his site. Basic nutrition books do not recommend going below 1300 calories a day to avoid your body going into "extreme starvation mode" which basically means your body will be resistant to any weight loss at all.

I find those authors to be very reputable. I am almost finished with "Good calories, Bad calories" and have to say the way the book is written is very much like an analysis of the all the studies on obesity, carbs, fats, heart disease, etc. If anyone is trying to get the real facts on beginning nutritional truth it would be that book.

The restrictive carb intake premise you talk about is refuted in many books as well. Easy case is the Inuits which survive on very little carbohydrates with emphasis on meat and fat to the extreme.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk