Author Topic: Overeating  (Read 10700 times)

Offline Kristelle

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Overeating
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:22:44 am »
I'd like to share my story as a reminder that too much of a good thing can prove to be harmful. I went all-raw during the summer of 2007 and mostly ate organ meats. I also stopped eating any carbs. I would eat large amounts of heart, kidney, tongue and liver, usually twice daily. I began to experience fatigue, especially after meals and certain symptoms I hoped would go away on this diet actually worsened like hives. This lasted about 2 months after which I decided to change things around. I tried including more fruits, less meat, more muscle-meat, more fat, etc. Always raw. If anything, things got a little worse. I would often feel bloated, my weight went up, my moods were unstable, my skin was very dry, hives persisted. Post-meal fatigue would sometimes get so intense that I would fall asleep almost immediately after my meals and sleep for hours. Gained weight, felt anxious, abdomen was hurting and was distended.

At the moment, I mostly eat muscle-meat, rarely organ meats and only slightly cooked, raw on the inside.

Until recently, I didn't quite understand why I was feeling so lousy on a diet that is supposedly the healthiest for "man". But then, I remembered something Tyler once said, that if he ate too frequently (i.e twice daily), he felt tired. He surmised it was the excess nutrients and strain on the digestive system. Bingo!

I would often eat despite lack of hunger, just because it was "time" to eat or because I was bored. But, if I listened to hunger, I would usually only eat every 24-36 hours. And everytime, I did, I felt a little better. Suddenly, my energy levels would rise.

So, in our quest to regain health and reap the most benefits out of such a diet, we should not forget to also get in touch with our body's signals. This is a nutrient-dense diet and as such, we don't need much. Eat ONLY when hungry and things will be fine. Let your acculturation and emotions dominate your actions and you will pay the price. I certainly did.

Offline Squall

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Overeating
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 02:29:50 pm »
I'm not trying to be contrarian, but I do want to point out that an endocrine system compromised by decades of toxic food may play a large role in inhibiting proper digestion and sending false signals. Depending on who you are, the above might be fine advice, but it may not work for everyone, as most everybody's body has been abused in unique ways relative to others.

I myself am still trying to find my zone as far as eating well and feeling well, too. If I ate what my body told me to, then I would be eating refined carbs all day. Conversely, if I eat all raw with a good dose of fat, I feel panicky and anxious and am all but useful at work. If I eat high-quality cooked meat, I tend to feel really good, even though I'm pretty sure that raw is much more healthy. I attribute the disparity between feeling well and eating well to a messed up system, including the strong desire for stuff that my paleolithic ancestors never ate.

Call me a pessimist, but listening to the body in the early stages of this life style when things are rough and all out of whack does not sound like a good idea to me. Perhaps after a few years, the body is more attuned to its true needs, and listening to it would be prudent. This is my opinion, and its merely based on my own experiences. That being said, I'm glad you found your sweet spot, Kristelle. I'll find mine one day as well.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.

- Bertrand Russell

Offline rawlion

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:03:22 pm »
Maybe you had too much purines in your diet?

http://www.goutpal.com/foods-high-in-uric-acid.html

As regards tongue, it seems to be more "safer" than other organ meats, as its content is pretty balanced and is more closer to that of fatty muscle meats. Heart, kidneys and especially liver in excess may cause certain problems for some.
It’s time to Eat Like An Animal!

Offline Furion

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:17:10 pm »
That was interesting.  Thanks.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:19:08 pm »
I concur with Kristelle's personal observation.
As a rule I only eat my big raw animal food meal only once per day, usually lunch time.

The rest of the day, I'm just on hydrating fruits for snacks.

My fruits are not sugar bombs... I live in the tropics so our fruits are hydrating (coconuts, watermelons), local, organic, in season... and every month there is always a new set of fruits in season... and helps in digestion (e.g. papaya, pineapple)... and is a source of raw fat (coconut meat).

I read Henry Bieler's Food is your Best Medicine (1965) and he observes that there are types of people who do well in eating lots and lots of animal foods.  I'm probably not one of those people at this point in my life.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 10:23:49 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 02:29:22 am »
I concur with Kristelle's personal observation.
As a rule I only eat my big raw animal food meal only once per day, usually lunch time.

I once read that lunch is common to be the biggest meal in spanish speaking coutries. With breakfast and dinner usually being small.

So that must be a cultural thing for you?

Offline Kristelle

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 08:19:20 pm »
I would just like to add to the above and say that the error I made was eating too much protein and not enough fat. If you ever decide to go ZC, be sure to include lots and I mean LOTS of fat. This is the key to success.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 03:28:57 am »
I would just like to add to the above and say that the error I made was eating too much protein and not enough fat. If you ever decide to go ZC, be sure to include lots and I mean LOTS of fat. This is the key to success.
Maybe it is only the key to success for you. I know fat is very important on ZC and what you say is probably true.  But you should say it like this... because all people aren't the same. Very similar, but not the same.

From what I experienced, lots of fat was the key to success for "me".

I know it doesn't really matter how you word it. To me it sounds better this way. When you say it like this no one can blame you if lots of fat (80% fat) doesn't work for them. Ya know?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:31:55 am by Sully »

Offline Kristelle

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:34:17 pm »
 ;)

Offline Dean

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • The Magic Bus Trip
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:17:41 pm »
Was the key to success for "me too". ;)
When you're ready to take the red pill.
http://magicbus.myfreeforum.org/about1371.html

Offline Gatsuri

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 08:40:51 pm »
I agree, overeating and counting calories makes me feel worse and messes with digestion. I'm just going to eat when hungry.. Also still looking for good organic fats, found a organic butcher who is saving the fat for me so hopefully that works out. Grainfed meat tastes pretty bad to me (raw).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk