Author Topic: Travelling with Beef Tallow  (Read 5331 times)

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Travelling with Beef Tallow
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:41:09 am »
Does anyone know whether its possible to fly domestically/internationally while carrying a decent amount of beef tallow/lard (5-10 ounces in a tupperware container)? Planning to travel in the next few weeks and would be incredibly relieved to have tallow with me - so that I can maintain a high fat ratio while eating out and ordering steaks/burgers.   I wasn't sure if tallow would be considered by airport security as no problem since it is "food", but if the temperature of the airport was warm wouldn't the tallow melt to oil and be considered a "liquid" which would be subject to the silly 4oz rule?

Any other tips or advice for travelling by air with your own beef tallow/cooked beef would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:53:10 am by TylerDurden »

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Travelling with Beef Tallow
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 02:09:48 am »
i do it all the time,  throw some meet in there with it so they really get the idea

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:56:37 am »
Not sure. The American TSA have developed a terrible reputation. I also have heard of bizarre rumours  about   US laws forbidding people from transporting oranges and other fruits  across State lines.

In the past I have been allowed  to take raw wild hare carcasses in vacuum-packed seals with me on flights, though they did check my luggage each time at customs as a result. I wasn't  allowed to take mineral water bottles along unless I had bought them in the duty-free section and could provide a receipt.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:15:11 am »
Thanks for the replies.  Wish there was a way to know for sure - the idea of throwing my tallow out at the last second makes me really nervous and would cause all kinds of complications over the course of my travel, with how difficult it would be to find good animal fat sources while on vacation. 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:55:23 am »
Is there a possibility of shipping your fat to your destination?

@TD: In the US, agricultural states require that produce from other states be inspected  for pests, fungi, etc., before it is allowed into the state. To my way of thinking, this protection of agribusiness makes sense, even though the monoculture practices of industrial agriculture do not make sense. Facts are facts, and monoculture is the rule of US food production.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:48:16 pm »
I'll be booking my hotel at the last minute, so shipping it is possible, but definitely not ideal.

I just wish there was a way to know for certain.  Since if I cooked a large amount of ground beef, and layered this with lots of tallow, I know this cannot be confiscated since it would look much more like "food" compared to plain tallow in a tupperware container.

But I've never eaten "potted meat", or used it for an extended amount of time/travelled with it.  Would anyone happen to know how feasible this would be?

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 12:51:11 am »
Van, do you do this often while traveling domestically or internationally? How do you package your tallow and do you always add cooked meat to it? Thanks!

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 02:17:32 am »
Often I bring it in my day pack passing through the search lines.  I put it in a soft cooler pouch, with a frozen slab or commercially marked blue ice.  They open it, rumble around a bit, and close it up.  Often the fat is ground, and rolled into a two inch thick log, in a zip lock.  Next to it or along with it is meat also.  You might just call them and get their answer.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 01:27:22 am »
how do you feel eating cooked meat during vacation? Are you always raw and then do cooked while travelling? Do you feel any negative effects compared to raw?
-----------

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 12:03:59 pm »
If you're asking me,  I eat raw, and, would like to try eating cooked on vacation, or while on business, but only occasionally.  I do notice a difference, but not a big one.  But then it's only a meal or two.  I may be traveling around the world soon, and wondering about eating raw in places like Afganistan, Africa, Cambodia etc.    The thoughts that come to mind are parasites.  For instance here, if a cow or Buffalo has liver flukes, they will cull the whole animal.  In other countries,   I doubt it.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 11:19:46 pm »
Well i dont mind parasites.

I was wondering how a couple weeks on mostly cooked paleo would affect me, not one or two meals and if any raw eaters have any experience going mostly cooked for such a length of time.
-----------

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 03:07:51 am »
I was wondering how a couple weeks on mostly cooked paleo would affect me...

I think it's fair to wonder about such things if you are going to be away from home, but the only way to find out is to try it yourself. It doesn't work for me to eat cooked food more than once in a blue moon. I can always find something proper to eat in the places I travel. That can't be said for everywhere in the world, I suppose.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 03:19:15 am »
what kind of proper food do you find while travelling?
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk