Author Topic: Muscle Soreness / Cramps  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Muscle Soreness / Cramps
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:40:17 am »
So I hit legs in the gym thursday.  Hadn't done legs in a couple weeks.  I focused a bit more on calfs than usual.  I felt good.  Just a little soreness on Friday, until the evening when my right calf started to cramp up ridiculous.  Like, if I sit down and let the muscle contract for a few mins, I can't even stand up straight on it; without slowly, over the course of a couple minutes stretch it out.  I drink plenty of coconut water, a lemon/lime in my mineral water during work out, and eat a papaya b4 work out.  I eat lots of eggs, liver, beef.  I just can't see it being a mineral shortage, but I've never had a muscle cramp in my life (other than the occasional charlie horse) until now.  I mean I can't even walk properly.  What caused this?  What will fix it?  Was it just cause I made my calfs burn real good the other day?  Why was it delayed by over 24 hours?  Ideas?
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Muscle Soreness / Cramps
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:04:11 am »
Hmm...
I have a feeling that it may be something you did in the gym.
Sometime in the spring I started getting extreme cramps in my feet and calves. Absolutely horrible, horrible cramps.
I realized that it was because my bicycle seat was raised too high up and that when I came to a stop on my bike and had to balance myself, I would have to stand on my tip-toes on one foot.

Although in your case I don't know what you may have done, or why exactly it was delayed so long.

On the other hand, Lex says he gets cramps if he doesn't get enough salt, so that may be something to think about

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 03:21:02 am »
Ho often do you excersize like that? and/or How much did you lift with your calfs?

Any changes in diet? That may cause something. 

Or perhaps eating while working out may cause something?  I just stick to water when I work out. For before and during.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 03:48:25 am »
For a few months there I was doing 2 hour marathon work outs, really taking my time.  But I changed about 1 month ago to doing more intense workouts.  I take little time between sets, and I try to make my muscles burn as much as I can take.  I do this fairly often, but it had been awhile since I had done legs, particularly calves like this.  I will eat some coconut flesh, honey, and papaya or strawberries 10-20 mins before a workout.  But I've never really had any problem before.  I did eat a cooked steak (at a banquet) right around the same time it started seizing up.  I mean, it was already starting to get sore, but it happened almost simultaneously as I ate the steak, so it's hard for me to blame the cooked meat - though maybe.

My calf is starting to release today.  I think maybe I just hurt it that much in the gym. 

As an aside note, something interesting happened last night.  I started getting some pretty bad diahrrea, sorry if you don't want to hear about this.  Anyways, I drank coconut water, and apple cider vinegar, and at lemons/limes like I usually do when this sort of thing happens - I tend to want to eat those.  Towards the end of the evening I got hungry for steak, which I ate, but of course it mostly moved right through me.  So anyways, I figured I'd wake up w/ less muscle b/c of it, but not the case.  Woke up this morning, I had actually gained some muscle overnight, while losing waist size.  I couldn't hardly believe it. 

I think I'm gonna start eating fewer big meals a day.  I think maybe I spend alot of energy on digestion, and since I had nothing in my stomach to digest, that my body had time to repair?  I tend to eat close to bedtime too, I think that's maybe a mistake.  Body probably has a harder time digesting while lying down, and less energy to devote to repair, as it's being used for digestion.   
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

coconinoz

Re: Muscle Cramps
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:03:03 am »

in my experience, leg cramps (aka charlie horse) will usually show up unless:

~ i add some celtic salt brine to my daily drinking water (never any dry salt crystals in the food, though; salt in the ocean is always dissolved)
~ i take a tsp epsom salt (magnesium + sulfur) w/ my drinking water in the evening

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk