Author Topic: Completely raw pemmican.  (Read 5048 times)

Offline kayaman

• Forager
    • View Profile
Completely raw pemmican.
« on: May 11, 2013, 06:36:05 pm »
Hello!
This is my first post on the forum.

I think that pemmican is great for survival and I feel well after it. I was a little unhappy that it cannot be completely raw, especially fat.

The meat is no problem because it can be easily dry at a temperature below 104 F. Only it must to be good air circulation.

I decided to try it. I had some the organic raw beef fat and raw goat fat (the fat one). The most hard fragments (almost no water) were separated from the rest and was drying at room temperature.

I noticed, that nicely leaving to dry, after three months showed no signs of rancidity. I think it is an appropriate time to recognize that they do not spoil. You can see it in the picture.

I mix them through the meat grinder and warmed in the oven at 40 degrees a few hours. Then the softened fat I have developed as a cake with goat ground meat.

I also experimenting with a little honey and dried fruit in pemmican but with heated fat. I wonder whether this will reduce the durability. I mean water in honey and a little bit of carbs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:55:21 pm by kayaman »

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Completely raw pemmican.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:32:46 pm »
I find that fats dried in fridge, ( a fridge with a freezer is usually one that has an auto defrost which keeps humidity low in the fridge, except for a lettuce drawer ) do go rancid, at least they have a bite in the mouth that is unpleasant.  I'm wondering if you're doing something different?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:34:13 pm »
to add,,  I've always wanted to create a low temp. air free drying unit,,,  like placing a bell jar with vacuum in the fridge to dry without the presence of oxygen.

Offline kayaman

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:46:25 pm »
I was drying at room temperature on a wicker shelves. It is certainly not rancid because rancid fat rejects me. I was also pleasantly surprised. But as I wrote. I chose the beef fat separated and goat. Only fragments of these hard part almost without water. Almost no change in volume when dry. There is a lot of saturated fats.

next pictures:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:54:10 pm by kayaman »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk