Author Topic: what's an egg?  (Read 5440 times)

coconinoz

what's an egg?
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:24:19 am »

corn & soy encapsulated & delivered by a wimpy bird

(my current realization)

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: what's an egg?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 09:53:17 am »
maybe standard grocery store eggs, but certainly not all eggs

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:21:23 am »
check it out, even most organic sources that say free range have pens where every last bug or sprout and been snatched up a long time ago.  You'd have to go to a real farm where chickens get to go out with the cows and eat the fly eggs etc in cow poop, and scratch in real green grass and eat a million different type of  insects to offset the majority of their diet which for the most part is still corn and soy.  Without a diet primarily focused on grain most chickens won't lay enough for the farmer to make a profit. We sprout and then plant in 8' by 8' raised beds all their grains, of about ten different varieties,  that then grow into a carpet of green.  Also irrigate year around to keep soil full of bugs and green grasses.  Someday I'll get around to growing worms and other bugs and do away with grains of any sort altogether.   I always try to encourage anyone with any sort of back yard to keep their own chickens.  The very best store bought organic free range eggs are always anemic compared to chickens that eat green living food.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:27:42 am »
i get my eggs from the farmer's market and the lady has assured me that the chickens eat mostly bugs and grass.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:53:12 pm »
i get my eggs from the farmer's market and the lady has assured me that the chickens eat mostly bugs and grass.

Van's right, the chickens still need lots of grains in order to lay eggs all year round. In the wild, jungle fowl lay eggs much more rarely.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:53:09 pm »
Perhaps the high amount of grain feed also speeds up the growth and/or maturity. As it does with cows.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:55:19 am »
So a couple weeks ago this dude I work with came up to me and asked if the eggs I was eating were organic.  I laughed and said of course, and then he asked how much I paid for them.  He offered me a dollar less for the organic eggs he was growing.  Turns out, he has horses and cows, and so he got chickens to eat all the bugs that congregate from their poo.  He also supplements with corn, but he says they just run around eating alot of bugs and stuff in the grass.  He said one day their was this pile of eggs, which ultimately hatched and he had baby chicks all over the place.  So now if he doesn't want a crap load of chickens running around he has to collect the eggs and get rid of them.

So anyways I tried these eggs and HOLY CRAP!  They were amazing.  I ate 12 of them that day.  I have had organic and free range fertilized from the store, and there is NO comparison to how great these eggs taste.  Not only that, but I generally get a little bit of a soggy feeling after eating more than 3-4 eggs at any one time, but not so with these.  I felt great.

Chickens raised in a manner consistent with their natural state lay delicious eggs that are very healthy and very good for you.  Chickens raised on soy, in cages, or on "free ranges" w/ no grass or bugs, lay eggs that are not nearly as good for you - still better than conventional, but man I couldn't hardly believe the difference.
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 04:39:42 pm »
My opinion on eggs is they should be seasonal.  When they are there, we eat them, when they are not, then we don't eat eggs.

Eggs shouldn't be my staple food to have every day.

Just like those who experienced keeping birds as pets, they lay eggs every once in a while only.

I'm here in Palawan... a far off province, and the true test of eggs is you buy them and you put them in an incubator to hatch them or turn them into balut (cooked duck embryo).

If they won't turn into chicks, then the eggs probably aren't worth it.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 03:27:31 am »
Yes, fertilised eggs from birds fed on plenty of bugs and other plants are the best possible to get. I don't think it matters if some grain is fed to the birds as wild jungle fowl, ancestors of chickens, also ate some grains as a small aprt of their diet, just not in the huge quantities they're fed on , nowadays.

I'm so glad that there are some enterprising people here on the forum. All I used to hear in the past, was a lot of whinging about how it's impossible for newbies to get hold of decent high-quality raw animal and plant foods in their areas. Yet, I found that, as long as one is prepared to put in a significant amount of  effort one can usually find  some very decent stuff. I , for example, trawled the ethnic markets of London, at weekends, to find goat-meat, discovered the LFM farmers' markets where I got hold of wild mallard, wild hare carcasses etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

coconinoz

omega's in eggs
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 04:29:00 am »

acc. to nutrition data a commercial egg has as its pufa's much more omega 6 than omega 3
http://www.nutritiondata.com/

i believe the same is true of corn & soy oils

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk