Author Topic: Raw ketchup?  (Read 11801 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Raw ketchup?
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:13:07 am »
I'm trying to make a raw ketchup recipe and I was looking for advice.

I was thinking sun dried tomatoes plus egg yolks. Anyone have experience with this?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw ketchup?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:25:52 am »
If you are trying to get the taste of ketchup, it might help to know that the main ingredients are tomatoes, vinegar, and sugar in some form (like corn syrup). Spices would be onion, garlic, sometimes spices like coriander seeds or something else for that subtle "hmmmmm...." taste. Salt is in there, too. IMO, ground-up sundried tomatoes might give you the right texture, but egg yolks wouldn't get the taste to say "ketchup."
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 05:25:19 am »
Eveheart has a point. Why not buy raw apple cider vinegar with "mother of vinegar" in it?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:22:11 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 06:28:31 am »
Eveheart has a point. Why not buy raw apple cider vineger with "mother of vinegar" in it?

I can't have it with the mother in it, but I could use raw apple cider vinegar without the mother in it. With mother it's illegal on scd.

Are suggesting I mix apple cider vinegar and sun dried tomatoes?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:34:30 am »
Great recipes are preceded by unpalatable failures. Try a small batch, go easy on the vinegar (unpasteurized, I'd say). Taste as you go. Salt might be needed. Without sugar, you won't get the "real" American ketchup taste, whatever that is, but you will get something tangy.

How about blending sundried tomatoes and sauerkraut juice?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:34:30 am »
That sounds good. I want to increase my pro biotic consumption, however my dad complains about the smell of ferments, even non animal ferments.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 07:35:43 am »
That sounds good. I want to increase my pro biotic consumption, however my dad complains about the smell of ferments, even non animal ferments.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:39:51 am »
an you have whey? you could probably omit the ACV in this recipe and use pureed sun dried tomatoes instead of the tomato paste

http://www.foodrenegade.com/homemade-lactofermented-ketchup-recipe/

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:58:16 am »
I'd use lemon or lime juice to replace the vinegar.  I wouldn't use sun-dried tomatoes.  I'd use cherry or grape tomatoes, the smaller the better.

I generally use cherry tomatoes, lemon juice or raw ACV, raw honey, and some sea salt or dulse, and blend it all up.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:09:11 am »
CK any measurements? Jessica I could do that without the whey, right?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:59:33 am »
CK any measurements?

This will make about a cup of ketchup, roughly.  change the recipe to taste.

1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
2 tbsp raw honey
two pinches of salt

You can use medjool dates instead of raw honey. Just add about a teaspoon of water for two dates.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 10:51:10 am »
I'll use the honey. Thanks a bunch.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 12:27:18 pm »
I'll use the honey. Thanks a bunch.

enjoy

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:14:20 pm »
CK any measurements? Jessica I could do that without the whey, right?

of course you can, I think the whey is just to get it to ferment a bit and give it tang,

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 02:00:21 am »
CK, I'm probably gonna make it without the salt.

Does it come out thick when you make it?

I'm about to go to the grocery store and buy the ingredients.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 04:23:42 am »
The ketchup was super liquidy. But I liked the flavor. I'm sun drying a few tomatoes to hopefully make it thicker next time around.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 10:37:15 am »
The ketchup was super liquidy. But I liked the flavor. I'm sun drying a few tomatoes to hopefully make it thicker next time around.

Have you tried just squeezing most of the juice out of the tomatoes first? Make sure they're small tomatoes, like cherry or grape tomatoes, that will help reduce the watery issue.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 02:48:36 am »
Have you tried just squeezing most of the juice out of the tomatoes first? Make sure they're small tomatoes, like cherry or grape tomatoes, that will help reduce the watery issue.

They were cherry tomatoes. I'm already sun drying some. I've read that sun drying increases lycopene content/absorption (even more than cooking).

The flavor wasn't very "ketchupy" either.

I'm thinking I should add some fresh, raw onion, and raw garlic. I've read that on a lot of ketchup recipes.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 06:42:00 am »
You mentioned that you were omitting the salt. Since the ketchup-y flavor is affected by salt, why not try a spoonful of your batch with the salt and see if that does the trick.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 08:51:38 am »
You mentioned that you were omitting the salt. Since the ketchup-y flavor is affected by salt, why not try a spoonful of your batch with the salt and see if that does the trick.

I agree about the salt.  It's an important part of the taste that we're used to.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 05:31:40 pm »
here's the ingredient list for rejuvenative foods 'live ketchup':
http://www.rejuvenative.com/live-ketchup/

might not be as helpful wo the amounts... let us know when you've figured it out  :D

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 10:33:06 pm »
That company, Rejuvenative Foods, is a local fermented-foods company, and I am very familiar with their products. The link you shared says, "The vegetables we use are never cooked and culture for up to seven days in stainless steel containers to activate enzymes and beneficial bacteria, including lactobacilli," meaning that they ferment their ketchup for a week. A general estimate of how much salt to add for fermentation would be in the range of a tablespoon per quart. The amounts of tomatoes, onions, and beets are variable. Add coriander and cloves to your taste. You can learn more about fermenting food from www.wildfermentation.com. I'm not a ketchup fan, but this recipe would be outstanding.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 11:39:11 pm »
I find the sun dried tomatoes give it a much more ketchup type taste. I didn't get to make the recipe with the sun dried tomatoes unfortunately. I was sun drying them on the dash board of my car, and I made a turn going to fast and the majority of it flew on the floor lol. But I did get to taste what didn't fall on the floor and it was much more like tomato paste, which is what's usually used for ketchup. It was also less juicy, and thicker like what you'd want in ketchup.

I put another batch to sun dry today, I'll be more careful this time lol.

I also did end up using salt for the batches I've made so far. I found a really good salt at WF, called "Real Salt." It has a pink shade, and I've been adding it to an occasional cup of water. I think I wasn't getting enough sodium.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 12:13:42 am »
Final recipe. Sun dried tomatoes (very dried), lime juice, salt, raw honey. I dried a plate of tomatoes, it only ended up making half a cup of tomatoes. I used a food processor to mix that with half a lime, a pinch of salt, and a tbls of honey.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk