Author Topic: Mega dosing iodine  (Read 14775 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Mega dosing iodine
« on: May 11, 2013, 06:10:38 am »
I feel this deserves a post of its own. Who here mega doses iodine? What other things do they do to increase its effectiveness? What kind do you use? Etc.

I've been taking 1 drop of Lugol's 2% formula daily. I also drink clean, distilled water. Use a showerhead that removes 90%+ of chlorine, heavy metals, etc. And use fluoride free tooth paste.

I think because I barely come in contact with chlorine, fluoride, bromide, etc. That I probably don't need any more than the 1 drop of Lugol's 2%.

Also, feel free to post articles showing larger than normal doses of iodine to be beneficial. Such as things about Japanese consumption of seaweeds, and success stories with various different uses for Lugol's. I've read of a candida cure, and lots of other things.

Thanks.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Mega dosing iodine
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:40:01 am »
i think one drop of %2 is only 2 mgs of iodine, so its not really a "megadose"
eating a 7 g serving of kelp a day would give you around 3 mgs of iodine

heres a nutritional chart of seaweed with the amount(in micrograms) of iodine per 7 gram serving

http://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=15&chapter=5

heres the lugols mg per drop calculation

http://lugols.com/calculating.html

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:32:26 am »
eating a 7 g serving of kelp a day would give you around 3 mgs of iodine

heres a nutritional chart of seaweed with the amount(in micrograms) of iodine per 7 gram serving

http://www.seaveg.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=15&chapter=5

heres the lugols mg per drop calculation

http://lugols.com/calculating.html

I imagine the absorption rate for eating kelp versus Lugol's is MUCH lower.  Kelp is hard to digest, and a lot of the minerals in ANY plant food stay bound up inside the cells.

Offline Johan August

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »
I feel this deserves a post of its own. Who here mega doses iodine? What other things do they do to increase its effectiveness? What kind do you use? Etc.

My wife and I take Lugol's 15%, she has 2 drops and I have 1 every morning with breakfast.

We have been doing that for a year or so. I have not noticed any effect on me, I was only marginally short. My wife was much more depleted than me and had an enlarged thyroid. This has improved but has not entirely receded to normal. The main reason for taking it in both our cases is that we see it as a cancer protection against breast and prostate cancer. The rates of these cancers in Japan are very low, but when the Japanese go to live in a Western country their rates of these cancers rise to match ours.
We took an expensive test for our iodine status but it is much better just to try it and bear in mind the protection it can bring. We were warned by scaremongers about the dangers of iodine, as far as we are concerned we did not experience anything remotely negative. I did buy recommended cofactors but did not notice any difference so dropped it. Lugols is cheap and as your body gets rid of what it does not need a more concentrated form is probably a better bet initially at least.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:54:39 am »

I consider "mega dosing" to be going above and beyond the recommended RDA. In this case 150 mcg = 100% RDA. So 2.65 mg of iodine/potassium iodide, or 1,700% of the RDA meets my criteria for mega dose.

However I was also referring to people taking larger doses. I've seen on some websites people take from 50-200 mg. I'm considering increasing my current dose as I'm not noticing much except increased energy. So for any of you taking larger doses for detox purposes, I'd like to hear from you. I'd like to detox the chlorine, bromine, and fluoride I likely accumulated from previous years of tap water consumption.

My wife and I take Lugol's 15%, she has 2 drops and I have 1 every morning with breakfast.

Johan, I thought there was only a 5%, 2%, 1% and a discontinued 10% (in the U.S.).

I did buy recommended cofactors but did not notice any difference so dropped it. Lugols is cheap and as your body gets rid of what it does not need a more concentrated form is probably a better bet initially at least.

What recommended cofactors did you buy? I'm currently using a small amount of high quality sea salt.

So you're suggesting to use a weaker formula to prevent a strong detox. Then later increase the dose?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Johan August

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 05:04:42 pm »

Johan, I thought there was only a 5%, 2%, 1% and a discontinued 10% (in the U.S.).

What recommended cofactors did you buy? I'm currently using a small amount of high quality sea salt.

The 15% Lugol's solution is available from Amazon uk, I have just re-checked that.

The supplement recommended was ATP Cofactors, which we used. Each tablet contains Riboflavin 100mg and Niacin 500mg. The recommended dose is 1 - 3 tablets a day. If your diet includes liver and kidney regularly you should have no problem getting enough of these vitamins to complement and boost the iodine.

I now take about 10g sea salt a day but that is not relevant to giving me enough of these two vitamins. As I have recently adopted a ketogenic, vlc regime this quantity of salt is desirable. If I were to include more than 50mg carbs a day I would eat far less salt. Neither my wife nor I experienced detox when starting iodine. In the past when I made a big change in diet or went on a fast I experienced what I thought was detox, and that included when I used the sauna. Now I believe that what I experienced was a disruption in the balance of sodium and potassium.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:10:03 pm by Johan August »

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:51:11 am »
To prevent a harsh detox reaction, what dose would you recommend? I drink distilled water, use a shower head filter, and use fluoride free tooth paste. But I eat non organic fruits, vegetables, and nuts.

I currently take one drop of Lugol's 2% which is about 2.5 mg.

What do you recommend for my salt intake?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:20:22 am »

I now take about 10g sea salt a day...

That's a lot of salt.  Are you sure you're balancing that with potassium?

Offline Johan August

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »
That's a lot of salt.  Are you sure you're balancing that with potassium?
I take just over 1000mg potassium as gluconate powder per day in conjunction with the salt. 1.74 g of potassium gluconate yields 270mg potassium. I also take 0.9g of magnesium per day as citrate powder. 1.1g magnesium citrate yields 180mg magnesium.  I divide that into 5 equal doses per day. I have arrived at this protocol with my own background of atrial fibrillation which is very sensitive to an imbalance of the body's electrolytes.
On top of that the majority of my carb intake is in the form of dark green salads. I understand that the body is very efficient at balancing the salt and potassium as long as you limit your carbs and you have enough of magnesium, potassium and salt. Keeping your magnesium status optimum is crucial in keeping up your potassium levels.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:45:56 am »
I take just over 1000mg potassium as gluconate powder per day in conjunction with the salt. 1.74 g of potassium gluconate yields 270mg potassium. I also take 0.9g of magnesium per day as citrate powder. 1.1g magnesium citrate yields 180mg magnesium.  I divide that into 5 equal doses per day. I have arrived at this protocol with my own background of atrial fibrillation which is very sensitive to an imbalance of the body's electrolytes.
On top of that the majority of my carb intake is in the form of dark green salads. I understand that the body is very efficient at balancing the salt and potassium as long as you limit your carbs and you have enough of magnesium, potassium and salt. Keeping your magnesium status optimum is crucial in keeping up your potassium levels.

Interesting. Do you supplement calcium at all?

Offline Johan August

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:25:20 pm »
I don't take calcium. It is not good for atrial fibrillation, I'm afraid I don't really understand why. Apparently it increases the aldosterone which makes an AF sufferer more prone to have an episode. I'm hoping that a  high fat ketogenic  diet which is also dairy free will still protect me from real calcium deficiency. Lex Rooker managed it when he had a  satisfactory DEXA scan after several years of a meat only diet.  I was a bit surprised when he began to include butter in his diet three years after the scan.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 08:55:15 am »
Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Offline Johan August

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 12:15:51 am »
Hi DaBoss88

I have done a bit of checking the facts and they show that the US and UK market are much closer than appearances would suggest.

Two drops of the UK sourced 15% Lugols has a combined Lugols content of 15.24mg while the US sourced 5% solution has a claimed content of 12.5mg according to Lex Rooker reply 1635: “Had my...., and 4 drops of 5% Lugol's solution (25mg iodine).”
 The UK 15% Lugols is equivalent, If slightly stronger. Lex Rooker’s “5  iodine” is the same as that given by Brownstein (from “Iodine Why You Need It” 4th Edition page 55):
“Dr Lugol began using a solution termed “Lugol’s Iodine” that was a mixture of 5% iodine and 10% potassium iodide in water (...) Two drops of Lugol’s solution (0.1ml) contains 5mg of iodine and 7.5mg of iodide.”

Confusingly it seems that the UK 15% is so named by adding the proportions of elemental and potassium iodide versions together, 5% and !0% respectively.

The US 5% solution is based on the 5% elemental iodine only and ignores in the naming the 10% potassium iodide.

Brownstein reports that he uses salt to help with the removal of bromide in conjunction with the iodine. One patient he prescribed 50mg iodine, 10 000mg Vit. C and 10g Celtic sea salt. He also prescribed magnesium both as an oral supplement and as epsom salts for transdermal absorption. The salt and magnesium helped with the detox reactions.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 12:46:39 am »
I use real salt. One gram of salt is how many tsp?

I take magnesium in a calcium supplement, should I be trying to take more than the say 75% RDA I take from supplements now?

Do you have any links with more info?

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 01:49:36 am »
I did the Iodine supplementation.. and had not all CO factors.. and I still suffer the detoxes. ugh! I started way too many drops, titrated up way  too fast, I though, ha - I am so healthy I sure have not much to detox.. I was SO wrong. I got weird bumps on my fingers.. sooo weird pimples.. and the worst, my mood got so dark! That thankfully lasted only a week or so but was horror. One day I was so tired - it was horrible, too. I am not used to be tired at daytime at all anymore.

Now I feel like a queen again.. ;D but I still have a few not pretty pimples on my face.  l) But I take those any day over depression.

But I can tell the Iodine is powerful, crazy powerful. I am going to do the whole thing properly as soon as I have money to buy all the co factors. For sure.
Here is a link to the protocol;

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IzFKo-r2-Nn8_z0KUrOhHdlanzSuhkuV3QO03XF6YTY/edit?pli=1#

Another huge Iodine thread with lots of great info;

http://jackkruse.com/forum/showthread.php?943-The-iodine-Thread!!!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:54:45 am by Inger »

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 03:45:41 am »
I definitely upped my drops to quickly too. I was taking 1 drop of the 2% daily, then I took like 8 drops for 2 days. My mood definitely changed. I'm going to completely stop for now. And look into the links you provided. Thanks.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 03:57:01 am »
Here's what I found on the link - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IzFKo-r2-Nn8_z0KUrOhHdlanzSuhkuV3QO03XF6YTY/edit?pli=1

The REQUIRED iodine co-supplements:
Disclaimer: Always consult with your doctor when taking supplements or treating illness.
- - - NOTE ON DOSAGES: The range of doses are intended for the amount of Detox problems people have. Small dosage are for those with minimal detox symptoms. Large dosages are for people with severe detox symptoms or who cannot absorb iodine.
- - ½ tsp Natural Celtic Salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, Redmonds Salt or Hawaiin black salt
- - - If the sea salt is pure white, it is unacceptable (minerals have been stripped out )
- - 200+ mcg selenium (L-selenomethionine preferred)
- - 400 mg Magnesium - Glycinate preferred (calcium supplements will purge magnesium )
- - 2,000+ mg Vitamin C - Ester-C preferred (not absorbic acid) - do not take with liquid  iodine
- - ATP Cofactors caplet  contains both 100mg B2 & 500mg B3 non-flushing in the correct ratio. Take 1/2 caplet with iodine up to 25mg, then one caplet for each 50 mg iodine, if iodine sufficient & no symptoms after 1 yr, this supplement can be discontinued.
Vitamin D3 Gelltabs 5,000 IU are recommended to boost the immune system to get the most out of iodine.  Complete Details at  http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

---

So I'm taking niacin and b vitamins, vitamin c, and magnesium already. Also I'm getting about that much selenium from my diet. I need to increase the salt consumption though.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 04:52:45 am »
I use real salt. One gram of salt is how many tsp?

Salt weight vs. volume varies depending on the fineness or coarseness of the salt, and the variance is fairly large, like as much as double. If you want to be precise, weight your salt or buy salt with a label indicating weight per volume.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 12:27:32 am »
I've been consuming much larger amounts of sea salt since reading Inger's post. About 1/2 to 1 tsp per day. I'm feeling much better.

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 01:02:32 am »
Oh yeah, DaBoss please be careful if you are not a masochist.. lol.
 I was on 8 drops of Lugols 10% in just a few days... and I painted my breasts.. the soles on my feet.. I think now I was crazy!
But now I know that Iodine truly is GREAT stuff. You just need to help the body get rid of the toxins, and do it clever.

I love the salt water. I drink huge amount of water from own well every day now, that I had out in the sun to get some good electrons in it. I love how it makes me feel!

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 11:33:01 pm »
I joined the Iodine yahoo group to get advice on supplementing. Here's what I found in their database describing Lugols.

"Lugols - While it IS true that you MAKE Lugol's by adding 5% molecular iodine and 10% Potassium Iodide to water, ONCE THEY ARE ADDED TO WATER, the forms change and the molecular iodine (I2) virtually disappears. There is a chemical reaction that results in almost all (99.66%) of the iodine (I2) being transformed into triiodide (I3-). Thus, although Lugol's is made with 5% molecular iodine (I2), the resulting product contains only .34% molecular iodine. That works out to 170 ppm (parts per million) of I2 in Lugol's. Thus, while Lugol's still contains the same amount of total iodine (molecular iodine (I2) + Iodide (I- from the potassium iodide) + triiodide (I3-)), it actually only contains a tiny amount of molecular iodine (I2)."

Any comments? I've never seen that before.

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 11:39:03 pm »
No idea. I am going to try Nascent Iodine next time, I need to order some soon because i gave my sister my lugol's bottle this weekend. It should be very powerful, energetically active Iodine.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 02:28:36 am »
Interesting how things change. Lol I started with 1 drop of 2%, I now take 20 daily (for 50 mg iodine).

I'm posting a PDF that has some interesting info on iodine I wanted to share.

Organs with Iodine-Concentrating Ability

"In addition to the thyroid, other organs have a sodium-iodide
symporter pump. Total-body scintiscans taken after administration
of radioactive iodine ( I) show that stomach mucosa absorbs
intravenously injected iodine. Lactating mammary glands and the
three paired salivary glands concentrate iodine almost to the same
degree as does the thyroid, in a 40-fold increase over serum levels.
The thymus, seat of the T-cell adaptive immune system, absorbs
inorganic iodine. Scintiscans also show an increased uptake of
iodine by the choroid plexus, which makes cerebrospinal fluid; in
skin; and by joints, arteries, and bone."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk