Author Topic: Fan of Price's work  (Read 15322 times)

Satya

Fan of Price's work
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:52:36 am »
Dr. Weston Price was a dentist who travelled the globe in the 1930s to remote areas where native peoples, untouched by modern civilization, lived.  He found some commonalities to the diets of these groups, although the diets were based on locally available foodstuffs, which obviously differed depending on location.  He found and photographed the beautiful bone structure of the people, complete with wide faces and healthy skin and teeth.  These pictures alone are worth getting a copy of the book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration.  (But the book is also available free online at soilandhealth.org)  He also demonstrated that in each group, when the natives came in contact with the commerce foods of industry through trade, the health of the next generation suffered.  Just fascinating reading, even if some of his assumptions and conclusions were incorrect (Down's Syndrome comes to mind in this regard, iirc).

All traditional peoples he studied ate some of their animal foods raw.  They also all ate fermented plant and/or animal foods for the bacterial properties.  So for someone eating a Paleolithic diet, it is a natural approach to take.  However, many of the tribes ate Neolithic foods, and as such they had to cook  (raw potatoes, legumes and grains are inedible).  They also cooked Paleolithic foods. But when considering when he performed his studies, this is no surprise.

The Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) has helped to disseminate his work, yet they have also skewed his findings towards a grain and dairy based model, imo.  You see, Dr. Price found that ALL the tribes he studied went to great lengths to obtain seafood (of course, islanders had little trouble in this regard).  Only 2 out of the 12 people he studied ate any dairy on a regular basis.  Only a few at any grain   (I will get back with you on exact numbers by skimming the Price book tomorrow). Only the Swiss ate a grain that contained gluten.  Yet, bread and dairy are both so heavily emphasized in the WAPF literature!

So I would say that if you look directly at the work he did, and you consider a more Paleolithic approach to the whole thing, then you will find it is easy to do RPD Price style.  It might even be fun to do the Inuit diet, or the Masai diet.  Truly.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:50:01 am by Satya »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Fan of Price's work
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 03:24:56 am »
How do you get the book on that site? Also, is there some place other than amazon.com I can buy the book? Some small website maybe, I'm not a fan of super-corporations.

Satya

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:48:43 am »
Apologies, the site is at:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/

Go to the "Health Library" accept the terms of use, then choose "Longevity and Nutrition" and you'll find Price down the alphabetized list.  It's a goldmine of information that you may want to thoroughly peruse.

Ack, I am wrong.  That is only reviews of the book.

BTW, my amazon.com copy was cheaply bound and the pages came out soon after.  Such a pain.  I would call used books stores maybe?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:53:28 am by Satya »

Satya

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:06:19 am »
Hey Craig, didn't you have a link to the book online?  Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price.

xylothrill

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:10:55 am »
Yes Satya,

Here it is: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
I was just going through looking at the pictures again.

I like the write-up you've done!

Craig
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:15:27 am by Craig »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:59:25 am »
I saw some of those pictures before but wow, what a great piece of work that book is. I will try and read it soon, but just looking through the pictures is an experience.

Do you guys think it's too late for people already "grown up" to build healthy arches and bone structure? At 23 (soon to be 24) I would much prefer a stockier jaw that can accommodate all my teeth well and nostrils capable of taking in large quantities of air then stunted and useless versions.

How about how the old people's teeth are worn down? Any way to prevent that?

xylothrill

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:12:46 pm »
I doubt you could at your age since your structure is pretty much set but you can increase bone density. This happened to Lex.

The teeth that are worn down are so because they use them not only for eating but as tools as well. That says a lot. Most SAD eaters' teeth would probably break off before they got a chance to wear down like that if they tried using them the way they do. They can actually chew leather to tan it!

Craig
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:14:43 pm by Craig »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:20:58 pm »
That sure is disappointing  :(

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 04:36:53 pm »
There is a fantastic article on the Weston Price website nourishing traditions.

http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/is-it-mental-or-is-it-dental-cranial-dental-impacts-on-total-health

Everyone has some sort of physical malformation from not enough nutrients, be it from unhealthy sperm/egg, insufficient nutrition in the womb and while growing up so wouldn't feel too bad!

Very few people people have perfect posture, good jaw with a wide palate, symmetrical body etc.

I would of loved to have been fed better after the age of say 8 years, in photos I looked very Weston Price with massive gaps between my baby teeth. Damn! My dentist told my mum he had never seen roots on baby teeth as big mine before!

Andrew

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:48:35 pm by wodgina6722 »
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

xylothrill

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 08:28:25 am »
There is a fantastic article on the Weston Price website nourishing traditions.

http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/is-it-mental-or-is-it-dental-cranial-dental-impacts-on-total-health

Everyone has some sort of physical malformation from not enough nutrients, be it from unhealthy sperm/egg, insufficient nutrition in the womb and while growing up so wouldn't feel too bad!

Very few people people have perfect posture, good jaw with a wide palate, symmetrical body etc.

I would of loved to have been fed better after the age of say 8 years, in photos I looked very Weston Price with massive gaps between my baby teeth. Damn! My dentist told my mum he had never seen roots on baby teeth as big mine before!

Andrew

Thanks for the link Andrew,

I have a high palate and a narrow face. All of my teeth, including wisdom teeth fit fine on the top but I lack a square jaw such as you are so lucky to have and my bottom front teeth are all slanted. They are slanted in the same direction so they don't look to obviously crooked. My bottom wisdom teeth barely had room to erupt and I had to have a flapectomy on one, which I did myself with a pair of toenail clippers. Food kept getting under it and causing infections. That's fine now.

I''ve had 2 back surgeries in my life because of herniated disks. I've lost a lot of flexibility because of it.

Craig

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 11:48:49 am »
Well I'm just going to imagine that maybe my body will change over time for the better and we'll see what happens. Even if it doesn't it will make me feel better  ;)

xylothrill

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 11:59:19 am »
Thinking positive thoughts for ya Kyle! Thoughts are like prayers, you know. You'll feel better buddy. *gives pat on the back* :-)

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
I read that article a while ago and started to see all my imperfections!

My top teeth were pretty crowded but have managed to straighten out when I went though my teens, my bottom teeth are still crowded. Anyway... I think good people still look good with their not so perfect smiles!  ;D

From what I've read

A wide face,good facial structure,  good posture, symmetry means you had good nutrition and things went to plan before you were born. This does make some sense as this is when your 'blueprint' is set out.

Problems with crowding etc come from bad nutrition during childhood.

Andrew

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

xylothrill

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 02:48:01 pm »
I read that article a while ago and started to see all my imperfections!

My top teeth were pretty crowded but have managed to straighten out when I went though my teens, my bottom teeth are still crowded. Anyway... I think good people still look good with their not so perfect smiles!  ;D

From what I've read

A wide face,good facial structure,  good posture, symmetry means you had good nutrition and things went to plan before you were born. This does make some sense as this is when your 'blueprint' is set out.

Problems with crowding etc come from bad nutrition during childhood.

Andrew

I'm the fourth of five children. As a child, I'd eat only cereal with lots of sugar. My doctor told my mother that it was okay so long as I took a multivitamin. I was very hyper and could hardly ever sleep. According to my birth certificate, I was 7.2 lbs and 21 inches long. They called me a sting been. I was fed formula and in 1970, who knows what was in that stuff!

In junior high school, I was examined for scoliosis and was sent for x-rays twice. The examinations said I had it but the x-rays said I didn't.
I don't know what was up with that.

When I was 16, I hurt my back at school and had to be in traction for two months or so. It worked until I was about 21 and I hurt by back at work. I had a percutaneous discectomy and that worked until I was about 27 or 28. That's when I had to have major back surgery and have a cage put in, replacing my L4 L5 disc.

Both of my parents have back problems and out of my four siblings, two of them have had bad problems with their backs. That's three out of the five of us. Luckily, I'm the only one whose had to have surgery.

My little brother was born with bronchitis and the medicine he was given caused his baby teeth to rot. Thankfully, his adult teeth are fine.

What's strange is that none of us needed braces on the top. None of us had braces at all but we would have needed them on the lower jaw but never got them.

Craig
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 02:51:36 pm by Craig »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »
I can thank my lucky stars for not needing braces and never having one cavity! Nutritional fortification of foods and modern dentistry worked for me, but a simple survey of others will show it doesn't work for most.

I have been inquiring to a former professor of mine of any publishing houses that would publish a similar work as Price's. I checked his publisher and saw it was recently acquired by Rupert Murdoch, so I won't be looking there. I would love to do a follow up going to the places he went to and seeing how the further encroachment of modernized lifestyle affected the people.

Another interesting thing would be the effects on people raised on modern foods returning to more primitive foods later in life. In other words the stuff that is happening to us and people like us.

But to get a book deal today I would probably have to include quite a bit about weight loss because when you say the word "diet" around here that's what people think of. But I'd still rather do that than get some joe job.

coconinoz

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 02:54:23 am »

"The Weston A. Price Foundation (WAPF) has helped to disseminate his work, yet they have also skewed his findings towards a grain and dairy based model, imo."
i totally agree with satya on this

moreover, 1 other thing bothers my there: the westonaprice site & staff keep pushing people into buying butter oil because of its factor x, when the very same miraculous factor is also found in raw liver from 100% grainless pastured animals
they seem to be getting a % from dr. ron (& tropical traditions & organic pastures = grain fed cows); myself, however, get the same kind of glandular capsules from new zealand bovines, with no chemical fillers, at a smaller price & locally

life enhancement thyro-plex (+ other glands):
http://www.life-enhancement.com/index.asp?SID=1

solaray multi gland:
http://www.vitaminexpress.com/product_info.php/products_id/149

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 05:27:34 am »
Interesting, I've been recommending Dr Ron's supplements because I scoured the Net and found no other supplements without trans-fats such as magnesium-stearate  or similiar binders/fillers etc. So, these other websites all provide the genuine raw(well, freeze-dried) stuff from grassfed cattle with just the gelatin capsule surrounding it. I've been keen to find a cheaper source.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 05:44:28 am »
*Message deleted due to error in researching website*
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 05:52:21 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 05:50:50 am »
Sorry, I remember you only referred to two products. The Solaray one,  though, lists various elements as a homeopathic base - I'm a bit dubious re this - also the doses are a bit small for each gland - I'd go for a multiple supplement if the doses were much larger.

The thyroplex for men has more variety(for my purposes) than Dr Ron's Organic Organ delight multiple supplement - on the other hand, I prefer buying the glands one at a time in larger doses, rather than mixed. Still, it's worth looking into.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:05:16 am by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline JustAnotherExplorer

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 08:01:31 am »
(& tropical traditions & organic pastures = grain fed cows);[/url]

Where do you get the info that Organic Pastures grain feeds their cows?  On their packaging and on their website they claim that the graze in the fields.  They even have mobile milking barns that they take to the part of the pasture where their cows are fed, rather than having to keep the cows in one place.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 09:45:59 am »
 as far as Organic Pastures feeding grain, they do.  You can call them and ask them.

Offline JustAnotherExplorer

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 10:19:59 am »
Well, that's certainly disappointing.  :'(

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 10:24:20 am »
Is organic pastures different than tropical traditions?
I've ordered from tropical traditions before, and they make it very clear on their website that their meats (other than poultry) is 100% grass-fed. A quote from their website:

Grass-Fed Traditions currently supplies 100% grass-fed beef from small-scale family farms in Wisconsin. Our cows are all grass-fed Angus and Galloway (mostly Galloway). How do we define “grass-fed?” The cows are on pasture, not in feed lots eating silage. They are also finished on grass, and do not eat grains at all. We don’t process animals in the winter or early spring, when they are only eating dry grass.

Offline JaredBond

• Egg Thief
  • Crap, my real email is blueyoshi55@hotmail.com.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 01:19:47 pm »
Hi, all.  I'm new and I have posted a response to the orthodontics subject as a new topic in this sub-forum called "Fixing narrow palates and cranial deformities", for anyone who is following this thread.
-Jared Bond, AZ

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 02:54:24 am »
I can thank my lucky stars for not needing braces and never having one cavity! Nutritional fortification of foods and modern dentistry worked for me, but a simple survey of others will show it doesn't work for most.

I have been inquiring to a former professor of mine of any publishing houses that would publish a similar work as Price's. I checked his publisher and saw it was recently acquired by Rupert Murdoch, so I won't be looking there. I would love to do a follow up going to the places he went to and seeing how the further encroachment of modernized lifestyle affected the people.

Another interesting thing would be the effects on people raised on modern foods returning to more primitive foods later in life. In other words the stuff that is happening to us and people like us.
My ex had braces as a child and her teeth looked OK, but as she aged (poor diet) her teeth reverted to their original state (splayed). Her teeth look like in her baby pictures.

There was at least one study done in Australia and I believe one in Canada where a nutritionally trained individual took urban aboriginals out to the wilderness with only a bit of food to prevent starvation and let them live off of their original diet. The people in the Australian model had illnesses ranging from mild to almost life threatening and were on medications for them. Once in the wild the medications became unnecessary and their health improved dramatically.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk