Author Topic: organic pastures raw butter  (Read 3909 times)

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
organic pastures raw butter
« on: June 06, 2013, 12:57:51 pm »
What is your guys opinion on organic pastures butter? Here is what the cows are fed:

"The pastures are planted and reseeded every 4 years with certified organic pasture seed mix, including: 25% Lofa Festulolium, 19% Persister Brome, 14% Angus Tetrapoliod Perennial Rye Grass, 9% Alfalfa, 8% Strawberry Clover, 6% Trefoil, 3% Tivoli Perennial Rye Grass. This variety of grasses provides for a lush eating selection. Overtime, the pastures have evolved into a beautiful grazing land, and other life has chosen OPDC as their home including: migrating birds, coyotes, gophers, rabbits, pheasants, dove, billions of earth worms, beneficial insects, and an array of organisms that help create an organic ecosystem. This ecosystem and healthy diet transfers into the quality of the milk that the cows produce; thus, giving the raw milk they produce healthy fats! Pasture-fed cows make milk that is 2-4 times richer in heart healthy omega 3 fatty acids, higher in good unsaturated fats, 3 to 5 times higher in CLA content, and is over 400% more in vitamin A and E.

The average milking cow will eat about 2-2.5% of their body weight in dry matter, per day; for example, a 1000-pound cow can eat 167 lbs of grass, per day. Pasture grass is about 85% water. Because of this large demand of pasture grass needed to feed the OPDC milking cows, OPDC cows are supplemented fed organic feed in addition to their continual open access to green pastures. During the colder months of December through February the grass does not grow as rapidly as it does in warmer months, which limits the amount of pasture for the cows to graze. During this natural seasonal dormant period, the cows are supplemented more with baled organic alfalfa.

As an additional supplement feed, OPDC cows are given about 5 pounds per day of organic corn or oats. Milking cows need additional energy in order to produce milk and keep up their body condition healthy. Unlike beef cows that are pasture-fed in the foothills and mountains of CA all year long, milk cows that are provided just pasture during the winter months will weaken and become very thin if they are milked without good feed. Their milk production will drop to near zero and the milking herd will be stressed. OPDC adjusts the cow’s feeding needs during these low pasture-growing periods to prevent the cow from becoming weak and for proper dietary nutrition"

They are fed some grains... but I am not sure if this makes a huge difference. I am mainly concerned about the butter giving me acne issues

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: organic pastures raw butter
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:53:34 pm »
Try miller's in Pennsylvania.   they are all grass fed, and the grass is lush.   Organic pastures in the past has had questionable green lush pastures when the weather turns hot,, pretty hard to grow lush grass with absolutely no rain. 

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:55:48 pm »
Forgot to add,  I'm sure they will tell you they irrigate, but ask them to send you a current pic via email of their current grazing fields.   

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 02:14:55 pm »
does millers ship? I live in southern cali..

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 02:16:20 pm »
Is this the place you are talking about good sir?
http://millersorganicfarm.com/

And I just checked their prices... WOW, goat butter and sheep butter is incredibly expensive. $10 for 4 oz of goat butter. Cow butter is 7.40 at 8 oz, which isnt that bad.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:24:40 pm by tests »

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:22:51 pm »
yes

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:39:34 pm »
Is this the place you are talking about good sir?
http://millersorganicfarm.com/

And I just checked their prices... WOW, goat butter and sheep butter is incredibly expensive. $10 for 4 oz of goat butter. Cow butter is 7.40 at 8 oz, which isnt that bad.

When comparing prices of grassfed vs grainfed, don't forget to add in your income tax cost of the grain subsidies, the cost of current and future diet-related medical care for yourself, and the karmic cost of participating in cruel feedlot practices.

There is an old saying that goes, "Yes, there is an easier way of making wine, but the wine that is produced in that manner is not fit to drink." What I mean is, the foods that you are comparing, cost-wise, are not fit to eat.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

CitrusHigh

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:52:17 pm »
Wow....anyway, im in norcal right now and grudgingly (yet gratefully lol) getting some of my raw fats from OP. I learned last year that they supplement grains and a whole bunch of other shit I was not pleased about. Now I realize why McAfee has been called a snake, which is completely unfair to snakes.

Dig deep in to so called 'pastured' dairies in cali and you will find that they are largely a myth. Most are essentially CAFO's where the 'pasture' is brought to the animals instead of the animals being free roaming on it. There may be some animals getting free access to pasture, but I know for certains some CAFO action is involved. If I thought it was something where the animals were being straight abused, I wouldn't fund the butter, but since they seem to be in good health, and have lots of (barren) land to move around on, I have let it slide for now.

Basically, with the 5lb supplementation of grains, the milk is ruined. I'm making moves to make sure that I don't need to buy this butter in the future and I suggest you tap in to the weston a price foundation resources to locate a farmer near you, if available. That is how I first got hooked up with raw milk back when I knew nothing about health, and then later, who I marketed my own raw milk to.

Basically,the grain swiftly undoes a lot of the benefits of any pasture the animals are actually getting. So unimpressed with OP :/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk