Author Topic: Why do not all desert people wear the same attire?  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
Why do not all desert people wear the same attire?
« on: July 08, 2013, 05:22:37 am »
I'm curious. Arabic nations wear robes with turbans. African nations wear loin cloths and jewelry. It may be religious in nature only, seeing as Islamic nations prefer modesty. But There is also something to protecting from the heat, as South American nations wear full attire as well, for protection from the heat.

Are Africans more adapted to heat protection?
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Why do not all desert people wear the same attire?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:06:13 am »
Well, obviously. Negroes  have more melanin in their skin so block the sun's rays more effectively. I've read also that Orientals are more adapted to cold due to shorter stature and other characteristics while Caucasians are somewhere inbetween.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 06:52:51 am »
Many of arab descent are quite dark. Even black. Egyptians, for example.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 08:55:16 am »
The loincloth is historically worn in pre-Columbian South America. And northern Africa has many different Islamic nations. And Egypt is not tropical - it's about as north as the southern United States. And Egyptians and Ethiopians are relatively light-skinned. So, your question is a little hard to answer, even though I know what you're getting at.

Since people influence each other for various reasons, such as fashion and religion, I think a good approach would be to look at historical costume, not modern dress. For example, the Indian dhoti is kind of an inspired loincloth. Extrapolating from that, even modern trousers are just loincloths that do not flap in the wind. As far as the robe goes, it evolved from an uncut cloth, too, and became all the variations of upper garment design.

This picture of pre-Columbian garb explains what I mean.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:08 am »
So basically you're saying clothes evolved as well? As all fashion tends to do, flows with the culture, religion, and climate, correct?
-Dustin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:01 am »
must have something to do with the climate.
the climates of today are far different than many centuries ago.

My grandfather said it was not hot in Manila in the 1930s, this is why they wore white suits.  But in the 21st century, outside of a fully blasted air-conditioned office, that would be unbearable.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:55:45 am by TylerDurden »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 01:19:15 pm »
must have something to do with the climate.
the climates of today are far different than many centuries ago.

My grandfather said it was not hot in Manila in the 1930s, this is why they wore white suites.  But in the 21st century, outside of a fully blasted airconditioned office, that would be unbearable.

I honestly have been wondering if diet has an influence here.

Mexican/Arab tend to use more plant foods and grains. Mexicans especially (sorry I use the term Mexican lightly because I live in a Mexican culture, I mean most Latin nations) use many corn/grains for their main food source. They wear more coverings, not out of religious modesty, but sombreros y ponchos are for protection from the weather (heat). However, it seems to me Africans that wear minimal clothing and live in a more nomadic, hunter style tribe are closer to carnivores, and potentially more adapted to the heat simply because of that.

I'm willing to find examples where I'm wrong, I'm just guessing at a correlation.
-Dustin

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 03:30:48 am »
The trend you are looking for is not continental or national. Climate and economic factors play a big role, but even before that, trade and colonization were world-changing factors.

The topic of "Columbian exchange" is a good place to start reading, because much of the world's current distribution of agricultural customs started with the Age of Exploration.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk