Author Topic: Greetings from Spain !  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Ramsay

• Forager
    • View Profile
Greetings from Spain !
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:53:58 pm »
Hi to all. I've been reading the forums for several weeks and finally I decided to start the RPD. I'm from Barcelona, Spain. I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

I was a glutton obese totally addicted to soda and kellogg's until some day I made a choice to go ovovegetarian. I lasted about 9 months and lost weight until I reached a BMI of roughly 25. I have been researching information on the internet about what is healthier and I ended up here.

I don't know if there are any users from Barcelona, but would be awesome to exchange knowledge regarding the main food sources to buy since I still can't find any organic grass fed source for organs, fat and bone marrow.

Starting day 1 fully motivated ! (and with many questions :)  )

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Greetings from Spain !
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:46:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I'm curious as to what exactly got you interested in trying the rawpalaeodiet? It's just that a more common route is that people become very ill, try most diets out there, fail miserably with them or only experience a few benefits therefrom, and then come up with this diet as a sort of last resort which really works.

We don't seem to have any active members from Spain here, unfortunately. From my own experience, I can suggest the following, some of which might work:-

a) Look around for any local farmer's markets. In the UK, farmers' markets are sometimes amazing with incredibly cheap raw animal food of grassfed or wild quality. Also, fishmongers are an option since Barcelona is on the coast. On the other hand, my own experience is that buying fish from the over-fished Mediterranean is often expensive. Still, there should be cheap varieties here and there, and more to the point, they will be wildcaught fish as long as you don't buy farmed fish like salmon.

Here's some googled  websites which might be of interest:-

http://www.barcelona-metropolitan.com/eating-and-drinking/good-food-guide%3A-organic-produce/

http://paleohacks.com/questions/4839/grassfed-meat-in-spain#axzz2YpoRSFZP

b) Check out an online organic food directory to find which organic food stores are nearest you. In the UK and the US, there are several such sites. Obviously, you would have to know Spanish for that.

c) Look for  a wholesalers, probably at the edge of town, which sells wild game. You would get it a lot cheaper than from a wild game butcher.

If you have no problems with raw dairy(many do) , you could look for raw dairy sources in Barcelona:-

http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/other-countries/#spain

Once you've gotten into this diet a year or two, I would most appreciate it if you could post on rawpaleoforum some details of your food sources. You don't have to be specific, in case you are worried that your few sources get swamped by rawpalaeos, but a general idea of the dos and don'ts would save people a lot of time. Thanks in advance.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ramsay

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 12:35:24 am »
Hi Tyler, thank you for your extensive reply.
The main reason to try raw is the fact that cooked meat causes inflammation. I know that in US is common to eat meat cooked rare or medium-rare, but here we usually eat the meat well done. And another fact is that I have very little patience when it comes to cooking. So, what's better than this diet!

That's a little embarrassing. I have to say I didn't try to search local sources in English. Thank you so much for the links.

I have in mind not to eat dairy, although I have no problem with it. And I will share my experience in the future. Sorry if I make any grammar or spelling mistakes, I try my best to not do so.

Offline SouthernSpain11

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:49:14 pm »
Hi All,
I am living in the very south of Spain and have had similar problems finding pastured organic animals. So in desperation, I have started myself to produce for family and friends.  My in laws have an organic farm, beef and chicken in small numbers, but as the whole organic industry is crashing in southern Spain, nobody can finish or kill organically certified cattle in our area.  I convinced them to switch to grass finishing last year, and slowly we are turning out organic pastured beef.  We killed a cow last week, and will hang it for 4 weeks minimum before sharing it out to family and friends.  I believe that in the north of Spain there should be more production, but I am not aware or any.  Asking around in health stores will eventually lead you to someone. 
thanks
Francis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk