Author Topic: Potential cancer-causing viruses in poultry  (Read 6286 times)

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Potential cancer-causing viruses in poultry
« on: September 17, 2013, 12:56:37 am »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Potential cancer-causing viruses in poultry
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:52:28 am »
Presumably the above is contradicting that if cooked chicken have viruses in them. Of course, cooked food that has been left around for a long time is bound to collect noxious stuff over time.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 04:55:43 am »
The article didn't mention cooked chicken at all. It only said that poultry workers have a 6x higher chance of getting those particular cancers.

It was posted on reddit.com and I asked about how the workers were contracting the viruses but I haven't gotten an answer yet.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:21:45 am »
Yes, and then? Isn't it about chicken raised in conventional poultry farms, confined in small space, vaccinated, given industrial poultry feed, hot dried wheat, cooked leftovers or other garbage? Such fowls spread an unbearable stench which should drive everyone to run away.  -v
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:33:28 am »
I'm not sure if it's specifically about the large, industrial ones or not. It doesn't say in the main article. It does give a list of 20+ sources but personally I don't care to look through them all. I'm not eating raw anymore as I think that something I caught from eating raw caused my current weight loss and periodic dark green diarrhea.

But I just thought to post it here for those of you who are eating raw poultry. I would assume that you would have a higher risk of these cancers than people who are cooking their poultry.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 05:46:20 am »
There's just almost no one on this whole planet who raise chicken the way it should be done so that we could safely eat them raw, as well as their eggs. About everyone give them some heated food / wheat or let them access to cooked / heated leftovers / garbage.

Sorry that you got a problem with raw food. It shows once again that we have to be very careful with raw animal foods and only eat those we are sure of their origin. For example, I only eat eggs and poultry raised by myself or by the few other people I can totally trust.   

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:53:22 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 06:02:11 am »
Is it poultry or specifically chicken? People that raise ducks or turkey also seem to raise their chickens better, IME.

I received a turkey from one of my suppliers that she said was only on her pasture for less than half the year, the rest of the time it was wild. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to assume it'll be fairly decent.

I'll let you know how my wild dove, quail, and pheasant eating time goes too. Again, I'm going to assume delicious. I can't possibly conceive how a bird that is flying around running away from my hunt would have a virus, vs. a bird I just happen to stumble across which would still very unlikely have any virus/disease. Wild is best.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline MaximilianKohler

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:10:29 am »
"a bird I just happen to stumble across which would still very unlikely have any virus/disease"

[citation needed]

I'm aware that CFAOs are much more prone to have sick animals, but to claim that wild animals don't suffer from diseases sounds like broscience to me.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 08:22:26 am »
You missed the point of my sentence, sir. I was saying, an animal that is roaming around, flying, escaping from me is not going to be sick. It would have to be sick (experience symptoms) to be sick. Granted, salmonella apparently does not present any symptoms of sickness http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/salmonella+food+poisoning but we aren't talking about salmonella, we are talking virus. 

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_condition_info_details.asp?disease_id=301&channel_id=2097&relation_id=70509#Symptoms
Symptoms of the condition in birds depend on the form of the virus that infects a bird. A virus that is not highly pathogenic causes mild illness. This form of the condition produces ruffled feathers or a decrease in egg production in infected birds. The highly pathogenic form of the virus can kill so quickly that once the virus enters the bird, the bird may die the same day.

Can cause same day death. Again, birds with vigor wouldn't be in that classification.

Also, http://www.birds.cornell.edu/birdflu/impact-on-birds/impact-on-wild-birds

Avian influenza is not new. There are many strains of the virus that have probably been carried in the intestines of birds for thousands of years. Most of the time, these viruses cause few, if any symptoms in wild birds and also pose no threat to people.

Also, I'm not unwilling to change my mind as apparently:

In some cases, birds may be resistant to the virus and not show any symptoms, but still be a carrier as in some wild ducks.

I still want to argue that wild ducks come across some crazy shit, often crossing into domestic territory, as they migrate quite far, like geese.

Beyond that, I don't care to prove my point any further. Again, I'm talking birds that are active and you're talking cancer-causing virus.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:02:50 pm by TylerDurden »
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 04:02:51 am »
I still want to argue that wild ducks come across some crazy shit, often crossing into domestic territory, as they migrate quite far, like geese.

On most European lakes, wild ducks and other aquatic birds are fed plenty of leftover bread by Sunday strollers.   >D

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 06:43:52 am »
On most European lakes, wild ducks and other aquatic birds are fed plenty of leftover bread by Sunday strollers.   >D

Yes the term "wild" by most of science standards doesn't nearly meet the requirements that we do, as raw foodists. I've noticed the same failures by the "food safety" organization of the govt. For example, no food left for 4 days to be eaten (my raw meat jar is over 3 months old and delicious) and the demands on the food service industry are insane, like at a sushi bar, possibly the healthiest food to eat out at (save the rice) they are required to cover their fish with plastic wrap while it stays in the fridge. Yuck! Even 12 hour old fish that was stuck in plastic tastes not nearly as good as completely fresh.
-Dustin

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 07:07:33 am »
Poultry workers have to in-hail the dust of dried GMO fed chicken shit, that is full of fungal and mold toxins, which are also carcinogens.

Alternative viral theory suggest that the cancer viruses are actually symptoms of environmental imbalance, viral infection serves a biological function,it forces the body to undergo cleansing reactions, as well as directly restructures DNA in order to adapt to environmental conditions.

Only when conditions are beyond the immune systems capacity to cope will viruses induce cancer..
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:05:35 am »
its probably all of the chemicals they are around too, I am sure they use all kinds of antibacterial sprays on those confined chickens to keep them and their cages "sterile".  basically they are stacked in super confined quarters.  also those chickens have a super short life span, they get huge extremely quickly just due to breeding and genetics, not even taking into account whatever they use to feed and fatten them.  even "organic" chickens from the grocery stores in the states are only 6 weeks old and larger then any normal chicken will get in its lifetime. 

so its probably the nasty environment all together, it could also be like saber said, because the workers are breathing in shit and piss all day, much like how hantavirus from mice is generally transmitted through humans inhaling mouse feces and can cause total obliteration of the kidneys or lungs....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk