Author Topic: A journey of food  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Dorg Endo

• Forager
    • View Profile
A journey of food
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:32:57 am »
Hello and stuff. I've been reading through the stuff in the newbie section of this forum, and I wanted to make an account because I may do some posting later.

For the past 9 years, but especially this year, I've been on a journey of what I like for food. Until I was 20 years old I'd never prepared my own food. My mother never attempted to include me with food, cooking, or even cleaning up the dishes. My mom was a homemaker, so she primarily cooked. My dad cooked sometimes, he let me watch but I couldn't touch. I was fine (as in felt ok/healthy) growing up until I entered college and found I lacked the confidence and competence to prepare any food/meals for myself. I ending up adopting a diet of soda, fast food, and packaged food from when I was 18 to 20 and I nearly doubled my weight in those two years.

So when I was age 20 was the first time in my life I decided to prepare my own food. I watched TV cooking shows to learn how to prepare meals. Alton Brown ended up being my favorite role model for food, if you've never seen his show he always encourages the viewer to not just copy a recipe but change it, try new things, even if you fail it's ok. That's how I learned my favorite foods are red meats, dark greens, vegetables, nuts (cashews & hazelnuts), and dried fruit. This year I've been journaling what I eat and how I feel. I've never had a set menu of food/plan of action. There is still health improvement I want to make and I know food really affects how well I feel from my journals.

Anyway, I've found the foods I like to eat match up with a Paleo diet. I only heard about the Paleo movement recently. Largely I only eat vegies raw, usually with a vinegrette dressing. For meat I've gone from only eating chicken growing up, to only well cooked red meats, now to medium cooked cuts of red meat. I still eat white meats, but the medium cooked red meats taste better, reduce my learned craving for sugar & bread, and I have more energy from red meat. I've also learned I freaking love sushi! I haven't had confidence to prepare my own sushi yet, but I want to.

I could go on and on about how I tried following the food pyramid/my plate from the government. I also tried making meals according to Harvard's healthy eating plate. My lifelong GERD (gastrointestinal esophageal reflux disease) and insomnia  have shown improvement when I eat things in a paleo way... But then it flare right back up eating a non-paleo way with breads and overally cooked foods. So I've decided to push my comfort zone and make a dedicated plan for a largely raw paleo diet... Omnivorous because I do like my vegies, but I'm working on having red meat twice a day. I also have noticed a natural inclination to intermittent fasting in my journals when I eat what I want.  Learning how to shop for quality foods is the first thing on my list. And there are some non-paleo foods I'm going to experiment if I need them or not. Greek prebiotic yogurt and metamucil (I don't think metamucil is paleo, made from grain husk) both have improved my digestion, but I'm not problem free with digestion so I want better. Really, I just want to feel good after I eat. Even though I felt ok growing up, I thought it was normal to always have acid reflux after a meal. I thought it was normal to spend only half the time I'm in bed trying to sleep, actually sleeping. It amazes me that I can go for weeks at a time now w/o acid reflux and even sleep 6 hours straight. I'm 29 years old, female, but I'm still only a beginner for what the heck real human food is.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:07:54 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: A journey of food
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:42 am »
Good luck.  Feel free to ask questions.

Offline Dorg Endo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:07:21 pm »
Thanks,  I'll try to read & lurk before opening my idiot genius mouth.

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 12:18:05 pm »
Welcome! Not sure where you're located but for the US we have eatwild.com. that has a lot of farms with good healthy animals. Try and find whatever you can wild and unfrozen if possible. Then for red meats grass fed is most important (organic means nothing). Grain fed meat simply tastes sick and unhealthy. For birds, they should get plenty of bugs. Fish I would just as soon go without rather than eat farmed if I couldn't get wild.

Thanks for sharing, hope we can help on your journey.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline Dorg Endo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:00:49 pm »
I'm in Minnesota outside the twin cities. Just between suburbia and the No man's land. Thanks for the website. That's part of my first step to do things more paleo, finding out how to find real quality foods.

I saw a place on the website in Edina that sounds like the type of shop I've been looking for. :)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:09:45 pm »
 Dried fruits are generally non-palaeo as they contain nasty preservatives such as sulphites quite often.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 08:30:25 pm »
Dried fruits are generally non-palaeo as they contain nasty preservatives such as sulphites quite often.

I know a LOT of raw foodists who've gotten really unpleasant symptoms from dried fruit, including myself.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:54:19 pm »

Yes, but the preservatives are a lesser concern than the fact that they are always dried between 60° and 70°C.  If you dessicate them yourself in taking great care that they aren't heated above 40°C, it can be ok in limited amounts, knowing that the instinctive stop is weak and late.   
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Dr. D

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 10:45:16 pm »
Do you hunt or know hunters? Wild animals are the best and now is coming up to hunting season. You could get some wild animals for a while until you can get other stuff.
-Dustin

Trying to heal ADHD. Common symptoms: fatigue, impulsiveness, poor attention, no motivation.
Other side issues I'd like to get over: Acne, dandruff, tooth health (yellow, poor gums, gingivitis)

If ya ain't hungry enough to eat raw liver, ya ain't hungry enough.

We are all just doing the best we can, with what we know, at any given time.

Offline Dorg Endo

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 01:41:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies. My work got crazy so I had a couple 12 shifts that really took up my time.

I mentioned dried fruits because I like to throw that and nuts on top of fresh vegetables with lemon juice and olive oil. At most I have an ounce (28 g) a day. There aren't preservatives in the fruit I buy, but I'd need to look into the temperature used in dehydration. I rarely eat fresh fruit...no reason special I just don't tend too.

I don't know any hunters, except my cat. I do think this would be very beneficial for my husband much more than myself. He rarely eats anything except meat, potatoes, and grain. But if he eats only grain fed meat with more grain on the side then all his nutrition is probably coming from wheat & corn. Thinking of that is really alarming!  My guy is awesome and fully supports me doing some research into real human food, then helping me make it happen. Plus if it means more meat for him he loves that idea too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk