Author Topic: Homemade Fermented Coconut Milk  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Aura

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Homemade Fermented Coconut Milk
« on: October 25, 2013, 06:28:18 pm »
Hi guys,
several days ago I made some coconut milk (from old coconut plus water), put it in the fridge and totally forgot it for a week or so.
Yesterday, I found it and it smelled like cheese. It was all set up in pieces.
I decided to give it a try and so far, so good.

Do you guys eat this?

Over the internet I found articles about culturing coconut milk into cheese but always with the adding of some specific bacterias..
I wonder if that is strictly necessary since it seems it worked very well without anything..

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade Fermented Coconut Milk
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:20:54 pm »
That sounds tasty. Does it digest well for you?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade Fermented Coconut Milk
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 10:27:54 pm »
Cool that it worked with old coconuts!  I am assuming you have coconuts locally? 

I have done this in the past with young coconuts, just mashed up the meat separate from the liquid and added a pinch from a probiotic capsule, "just to be safe"...whatever that means.  My assumption was that the coconuts where pretty old and possibly irradiated because they were not organic (this was a long time ago when coconuts were not so frequent at healthier food stores) and might be lacking some of their own awesome bacteria.  It worked though, and was kind of a lightly cheesy more firm texture, but really nice because the texture of young coconut is so creamy. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk