Author Topic: Vision Improvement  (Read 10635 times)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Vision Improvement
« on: November 29, 2013, 12:43:47 am »
I have worn eye glasses since I was 12.  I  remember the first time looking out into my front yard and how precisely i could see the definition in the pansies my mom had planted along the driveway.  It was a miracle to see long distance, so it was definitely something I needed.  However, each year, during my eye exams, the Dr.'s would over correct my vision, purposefully to 20/15...(20/20 being normal).....perhaps they thought I would be able to see into the future but there was no real reason to do this.  And each year when I would go in for an exam my vision had worsened and my prescription was raised.  I remember them doing this and remember that for the first few weeks my vision was so sharp, but this would strain my eyes and only a panacea, not an improvement.

Three years ago I finally realized I could just ask the Dr. NOT to change my prescription.  There are some legalities about how well you have to be able to see to drive and such but I could be well within that limit with way less prescription.   So for three years I have had the same prescription, my vision definitely wasn't 20/20 but it also isn't horrible.  It was fine, I could see and read most everything near and far, road signs, etc...anyhow.

I went to the eye doctor today to have an eye exam so that I could purchase new contact lenses and glasses.

He was very receptive to this, he said that he thinks that I am correct in assuming overcorrection is what lead to a weakness in my eyes.  He told me his normal procedure was to bring the vision to 20/20 and then to back it down to where the eyes weren't straining.  He also told me that we were to disregard my normal prescription until after he was done with the exam.

So 20 minutes later, after staring at the chart, reading and rereading letters through different lenses, he tells me my left eye, an eye that I'd injured when I was younger, has slightly better vision that my right and then writes down my prescription.  He then goes back out to the office to grab my old prescription and comes back with the new that my vision has actual improved, especially in my left eye! 

This is likely not to have happened if I would have continued to have my prescription changed 3 years ago.  I also attribute it to finally admitting that I really cant do carbs, and that my blood sugar has an incredible affect on my vision and that they just aren't that necessary.  Its not much and I still have horrible vision all around, but it gives me hope.

I really think that inundating my body with all the necessary building blocks in the best forms I can find, raw fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals  has a lot to do with my vision improving.  I plan to see this eye Dr more regularly, if I can afford it,  to catch any improvements and capitalize on the fact that i might be able to slowly back off my prescription.  Of course I will also continue to eat such an amazing, regenerative diet and that  will help my vision to continue to improve.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:55:05 am by jessica »

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vision Improvement
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:30:28 am »
I hear no mention of physical activity? What is that like? Exercise is an integral part of healing and maintenance for every cell of the body.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:10:06 am »
I work outdoors on a farm, carrying heavy things, I walk at least 8 miles a day, I ride my bike and hike often, I am out in all kinds of weather, I stretch a lot and do body weight exercises, I do self massage and body brushing, I lay on the ground, I get a lot of sun, I spend more time resting then I ever used to, my sleep is very regular, as is the rest of my schedule.  I do way less intense exercise then I used to, I weight more then I have ever weighed in my life, I am calm and happy.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:12:24 am »
great news jessica! i agree with ck that your continued progress is very inspirational!!

what are your staple foods these days?

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 04:24:06 am »
Jessica, that is brilliant that you figured that out.

My eyes are very good. When I patrolled the oceans years ago I would be the first guy to see an iceberg, even as far as 100 miles. There are tricks to use with vision, like never look directly at something, because there is a cone in the centre which we are all blind to.

I went to an eye Doc once to get reading glasses. He tried the same nonsense with me and sold me 1.2s when he said they measured at 1.10 or so. Said he was saving me money. I fell for it, till I realized the difference and stopped wearing them. Now I get 1.0s from the dollar store. They last just as long and don't bring on a panic if I lose them.

What really upset me is that I asked this guy if he knew of any exercises for the eyes. He laughed looked me straight in the eyes and told me that was a waste of time because your eyes deteriorate period. My wife and I do eye exercises daily and have for years. Sadly my ex used to take our children to this clown for years as she thought he was marvellous. I now know that she liked him because he gave her candy and complements.

Doing The Bates Method eye exercises is also a very good idea and that is part of what our eye exercise routine consists of. You just get the book. I wouldn't bother with classes unless you have money to burn.

I have found that whey, no matter how high the quality, really damages my vision almost immediately. Also when my eyes get hot (because I am hot) or if I eat anything with garlic or onions they start to dim. One way to prevent that is that when your eyes start to heat up, put water in your mouth, swish it around for a minute or so and then spit it into your hand and then rub it around the eyes. A small amount of rose water sprayed on your closed eyes will do the same.

However sungazing is mine and my wife's best vision improvement decision. Hers went from 3.5 down to 1.5 in a few months. Mine are at 1.0 and I can read the paper, unless I am really tired or the light is dim. I am 60 and if you promise not to say anything I will tell you she is longer of tooth.

Out of curiosity why do you bother going to the Doc? Just get the old prescription refilled. If they won't, go to another Doc or buy online. I googled prescription glasses and got a ton of hits. Doctors are not magicians that magically help you restore sight. They simply measure your eyes so they can sell you glasses. I've gone to one twice in my life. The first time so I could get a prescription for sunglasses. (didn't work as my eyes are perfect)
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 04:27:52 am »
BTW do a Google on eye yoga and you get hits for exercises.

Here's Paul McCartney's version. We do more different ones

Paul McCartney Teaches Yoga for Our Eyes
Cheers
Al

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:02:12 am »
All of us use pinhole glasses at home.  Wear 30 mins a day and in a week or 2 you get improvements.  All of us refuse to wear glasses. We dont go to eye docs.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 09:03:26 am »
All of us use pinhole glasses at home.  Wear 30 mins a day and in a week or 2 you get improvements.  All of us refuse to wear glasses. We dont go to eye docs.
Can you show me a link?

I know the Eskimos used them in winter as sunglasses.
Cheers
Al

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 09:32:26 pm »
Out of curiosity why do you bother going to the Doc? Just get the old prescription refilled. If they won't, go to another Doc or buy online. I googled prescription glasses and got a ton of hits. Doctors are not magicians that magically help you restore sight. They simply measure your eyes so they can sell you glasses. I've gone to one twice in my life. The first time so I could get a prescription for sunglasses. (didn't work as my eyes are perfect)

I am pretty sure that you have to have had an eye exam and current prescription, within one year, of the time you purchase glasses or contacts.  The issue is that when you got to public school in the United States, at least in my time, we had mandatory eye exams each year, which is how we figured out my vision wasn't the best.  So it was just part of the routine.  I never questioned it because I knew there are some legalities about how well you have to see to drive, and also, when my vision would worsen in the past, I just blamed it on "genetics" because both my mother and father wear glasses, so I assumed that the only reason they had bad vision was genetic, not lifestyle, and that I was doomed to have bad vision myself.

I had a pretty bad accident snowboarding when I was 17 and broke the occipital bones all around my left eye, like pretty much broke my eye socket in a few places.   so when this healed I had a lot of extra tissues and long term inflammation in that eye and did do vision therapy for a while. 

It really didn't occur to me until a few years ago that the Dr.s were always overzealous with their correction and that people with naturally decent vision might not necessarily have 20/20 vision but don't require any correction and that it was possible for me to ask that the dr. not up my prescription.  It was just an area of health I guess I felt powerless about and predestined to have horrible vision.  You cant buy glasses or contacts without UV protection.....that pretty much defeats me right there.

I like the suggestions of getting back into sungazing and the pinhole glasses.  Edwin when I imagine your little family over there in those it makes me laugh about how cool you guys are.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 02:58:14 am »
Hi Jessica,
I hope that my post doesn't sound heavy handed.

My wife mentioned that you can bring in your old glasses and they can just order new ones like those.
Cheers
Al

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 06:54:53 am »
I was near blind with astigmatism before I had laser surgery 10 years ago. I was 20/20 and after three years went to 20/30

Since going paleo there hasn't been any change .

Perhaps getting laser surgery would be an option?

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 12:33:32 am »
I am sure your diet has something to do with it.  Most people are told they will need corrective glasses or porcedures within 10 years of the surgery, so that fact that the resulting vision improvement has lasted so long is probably due to the fact you haven't begun to damage your eye sight like regular people do, with poor diet and lifestyle.

I actually had the opportunity to have laser surgery about 6 years ago and passed it up because I was crazy, basically.  Unfortunately I live "pay check to pay check" as they say and, unless by some miracle of the grace of the world, I  wont ever have that opportunity again in this lifetime. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:48:00 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 03:27:36 am »
What're your thoughts on sun-gazing as a healing tool? I like to do it sometimes but I'd prefer to do it a lot more. My eyes at the moment seem perfectly fine.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 12:20:56 pm »
Prices of come down considerably since when I paid 3000 dollars to have it done.

The precision of the lasers has become so precise and they now take only a minimal amount of tissue, and have very good long term results.

Poor eyesight often has dietary causes, sometimes it is inherited through trans generational epigenetic changes, but I believe it can improve once the ideal conditions are restored. Meaning that if you have the procedure of getting you eyes lasered into a more perfect shape, while at the same time optimizing your diet, then you will have a much greater chance of maintaining healthy eyesight without the need for further corrections. Once the lens is corrected and the eyes are properly nurished and given time to heal then the conditions which cause the lens to warp will have been dealt with.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 04:45:14 pm »
Jessica, so glad things are improving! I have had glasses since 4th grade (-2 on both eyes) and in my late teens I stopped using glasses. I never used them since, just when watching movies or in school. Now I use them sometimes when I drive, mostly not. And my vision has improved quite a bit, from -2 to -1,25 and -1,50. Maybe not using glasses have helped too? I do sungaze when I remember to..   :) I eat fish heads too. I think fish eyes are good for our eye health too?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:13:52 pm by Inger »

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 09:54:41 pm »
Mine is 5.25, and that's an improvement,,,lol.

I know for sure that blood sugar swings and inflammation lead to the loss in eyesight.  I know that drinking alcohol, binge eating caused extremely high blood sugar in my case, and then going to the other extreme of hypoglycemia by over exercising and skipping meals to try and make up for excess calories.   People whos lifestyles and diets lead to this, such as "diabetics" generally have vision issues, if not deterioration.  I am pretty sure I pushed myself into the same category.

My mom has poor vision but was pretty text book bulimic, my dad has poor vision but was also an alcoholic and abused drugs.  So there is no way to know how any of our vision would have turned out had we had healthier lifestyles from the beginning.  My sister doesn't wear glasses and my brother did in his childhood but somehow his vision improved to where he doesn't need it.  I definitely don't think having poor vision is an absolute regardless of "genetics".

Thanks for the encouragement all, and Saber, I will ask my mom to look into it for me, if she is still willing to pay, I doubt we can scrape up the money.  Even when I went a few years ago, it was a very quick and precise procedure, you can see at the end of it, the eyes heal super fast.  I don't have any kind of astigmatism, so I am an ideal candidate.

I did think it was funny that I asked the Dr. to explain why my right eye has turned so green in recent years, he said "Oh that's called Heterochroma...." and was on to some other subject.  Basically telling me in fancy Greek terms, "oh that means your eye is two colors".......well no shit, doc.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 11:20:10 pm »
Turned green..? that is weird.. what do you think why?

I had bulemia too... for many years.  I never felt that great with carbs either... since I was a kid. But of course I ate them, and a lot.. like everyone else around me. I must have had blood sugar swings and inflammation all the way

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk