Author Topic: United Nations: Eat more ants and grasshoppers to avoid starvation  (Read 2649 times)

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:21:41 am by TylerDurden »
bugs or country chickens

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: United Nations: Eat more ants and grasshoppers to avoid starvation
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 09:35:29 pm »
The only insects I've eaten either tasted bad (ants, earthworms) or had no taste at all (bugs in wild mangoes in Costa Rica.)  I would gladly eat any insect type if it tasted good and was nutritious enough, though.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: United Nations: Eat more ants and grasshoppers to avoid starvation
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:51:39 pm »
What about grubs, I've seen indigenous kids eat those up like candy. I've found them often while digging trenches in peoples yards, they look appealing but am kind of weary of eating bugs I find in the city because of all the crap people put on their lawns. I just need to go up to the hills and start sampling natures smorgasbord.

Insects are a reasonable anti starvation measure for the masses of people without access to fish or pasture animals. Our protoprimate ancestors actually evolved from insectivore tree weasels.

We all have seen those encampments of starving Africans who are completely emaciated and subsisting on a diet of gruel. Perhaps if they would take a handful of insects with every portion garbage grains then they may actually be able to avoid starvation.

Also the article is right... raising chickens fed on the bugs that live in compost  is a very simple method by which the poorest people in the poorest parts of the world could get healthy animal foods.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk