Author Topic: Meat Cuts?  (Read 5609 times)

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Meat Cuts?
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:19:29 pm »
I know absolutely nothing about meat cuts. I want to order from Slanker's, but I'm not sure what to get.

What cuts are easiest to cut into small, regular pieces that could be swallowed whole? I'm still new at eating raw, and I suspect I'll have to do a lot of that, unless I like the taste of pastured/organic enough to ignore I'm eating muscle meat.

I've tried this with steaks, but between the fat, the texture of the meat, and the sinew it just doesn't work out. Although I really do need to invest in a decent knife, which I'm sure would help.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline feral

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Meat Cuts?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:00:31 pm »
I know absolutely nothing about meat cuts. I want to order from Slanker's, but I'm not sure what to get.

What cuts are easiest to cut into small, regular pieces that could be swallowed whole? I'm still new at eating raw, and I suspect I'll have to do a lot of that, unless I like the taste of pastured/organic enough to ignore I'm eating muscle meat.

I've tried this with steaks, but between the fat, the texture of the meat, and the sinew it just doesn't work out. Although I really do need to invest in a decent knife, which I'm sure would help.

For all of the cuts that I could afford, I preferred chuck roast or steak the most.  If you can eat ground beef, you avoid the issues w/ sinew and cutting.  I like their high fat ground beef fairly well.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:50:36 am »
I almost always order the bulk of my meat as "stew meat," sometimes referred to as "tips" or "cubes (beef cubes or insert animal here cubes)." It's chunks that are a good mouthful usually, so if you cut that up into somewhere between two and four pieces depending on the initial size it's a good small size that you can probably swallow. The other good thing about it is that it's usually about the price of ground, which is significantly cheaper than steak cuts and most roasts.

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:43:10 pm »
Hm sounds like I was on the right path with what I was thinking, I just wasn't sure. I don't think I could handle ground beef yet, but who knows. I might take to the taste and texture without a problem. It'll definitely be a good way of getting used to eating fat eventually.

I think I'll order mainly stew meat then, and maybe get a chuck roast and steak to try. Probably get some high-fat ground beef as well.

Thanks for the help  :D
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:36:27 pm »
Good luck. The thing that makes stew meat the best is the price and flexibility. It's large fatty chunks (about the same fat ratio as regular ground I believe) that you can cut into smaller chunks, or easily grind up yourself if you have a grinder or just a food processor.

Offline spear of destiny

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:18:05 pm »
beef shoulder  :P

but why swallow whole? this beef i got is soft like butter and taste wonderfull  O0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk