Author Topic: Looking for a grass fed livestock farm who needs an intern  (Read 6481 times)

Offline lena

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Looking for a grass fed livestock farm who needs an intern
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:57:54 pm »
Looking for a grass fed livestock farm who needs an intern

I am done with living here in the city. I need move around, see the world, connect with nature, meet people with similar interests. I want to learn about living a natural lifestyle, grass fed farming, hunting, fishing, gathering wild foods, “primitive” skills, healing, etc etc. I want to get out of the capitalism, greed, competition, destruction, oppression that I see in society today. I am very young, maybe I am just naïve and passionate and impatient but I have the overwhelming need to live how we are meant to live. Not the way I am living now.

I would love to have the opportunity to work and learn on a grass fed livestock farm. I’ve grown up in a city so I’m not claiming to have any great knowledge or experience, but I think I am a quick learner. After starting to eat raw paleo, I began to develop many new interests and I’ve done a lot of reading on different aspects of farming. I am very enthusiastic and hard working so I hope you will consider having me as an intern on your farm :)

Eventually I want to travel the world. My dream is to wander around the world working on organic farms, learning to hunt and fish, picking fruit, camping under the stars, learning how people lived traditionally in different areas. A modern hunter-gatherer if you will… I can’t do this yet. I need to be older and more knowledgeable and have skills so I can get by.

I’m just a teenager. I have a ged, I’m going to community college, and I’m working to save money, but this isn’t where I want to be. I hope you won’t ignore this simply because I’m young. I have a whole life ahead of me but there’s no point in wasting it where I am now.

Sorry if this is vague, but there is so much I want to do and I don’t know where to begin, I guess I’m thinking that a good place to start would be learning and developing skills while working on a farm. So basically; I am wondering if there is anyone out here who has a farm they need help on, or even just like minded people who are on the same path and want to connect and make something happen.

Contact me here or at lenalove206@gmail.com

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a grass fed livestock farm who needs an intern
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 10:50:32 pm »
Hi Lena, where do you live? Where would you want the grass farm you intern on to be? I live in Vermont, and can ask around to see if any of the grass farmers I know might be on the lookout for an intern. The New England Meat Conference happens in March, and it attracts many grass farmers.

Offline lena

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:29:32 pm »
Thanks! I live in seattle but i could go anywhere in the us.

I posted on here first because i was hoping to find a raw meat eating farm, but my next stop was to look somewhere such as wwoof. Thanks again that would be great!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:24 pm »
Have you looked into WWOOFing?

http://www.wwoof.net/

I've got some friends who have done this.  I'm pretty sure jessica (one of our members) knows a lot of people who do this sort of thing in the Pacific Northwest.  She could certainly help you.   Her username is just "jessica", you can find her on the member list and send her a private message.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:14:02 pm by cherimoya_kid »

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:55:15 pm »
Have you looking into WWOOFing?

Bwahaha another one. Have you looked lol
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline lena

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 12:13:21 am »
Yeah Ive looked at woofing! I found a bunch of farms that looked good, i was just seeing if anyone here had a farm because it would be cool to work at one that was raw paleo.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 12:15:33 pm »
Yeah Ive looked at woofing! I found a bunch of farms that looked good, i was just seeing if anyone here had a farm because it would be cool to work at one that was raw paleo.

RogueFarmer has a farm in northern Michigan where he's raising various different types of livestock,  I think he eats pretty close to raw paleo.  Other than him, I would check with jessica for raw-paleo-friendly farms.  She is in the PNW like you.

Offline lena

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 12:57:34 pm »
Thanks!

I actually messaged roguefarmer because i saw his post from a while ago and it sounded really cool. If he doesnt reply ill ask jessica next, thanks for the idea.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:47:21 pm »
I hope you have fun and learn a lot.  I think several months of organic/permaculture farm work is a good idea for every able-bodied person before they hit age 21.  Even if you never start your own farm, you'll learn a lot about how food is actually raised/grown, you'll probably make valuable contacts that you can use later, you'll make a lot of good memories, and maybe make some new good friends.  I certainly learned a lot working on organic farms in my 20s, even just the few brief months that I did it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk