Author Topic: Always fine tuning  (Read 8470 times)

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Always fine tuning
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:49:14 am »
Overall I have been eating raw meat about 12 years. That does not mean that I was 100% all the time. Also when eating raw it has had its own incarnation each time - doing AV's primal diet a good portion of it, doing ZC cooked as well as ZC raw. Recently had become more relaxed and was eating more cooked paleo and had gone off dairy all together.

But last weekend (a few weeks into eating cooked) I crashed on my bicycle riding across train tracks at the wrong angle, and broke my wrist. Owww! Decided I better tighten things up and get back to raw, including raw fats. But I have learned that unfortunate incidences can be learning experiences.

So glad to be here. I need the feedback and have been learning already reading others posts. Love the tolerant diversity.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Always fine tuning
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:34:26 am »
I don't know if we're always tolerant OR diverse, but we slowly stumble toward the dietary truth.  It's good to have you.

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 05:25:58 pm »
Thank you. It's good to land somewhere. I'm feeling a bit terrified at the moment. I had surgery on my wrist yesterday. I had shattered it falling off a bicycle I should probably have not been on. It was a Barton's fracture, a dislocation and broken bone. I allowed them to put a titanium plate and pins in my wrist to help it heal. The surgeon seems like he knew what he was doing and I needed the medical intervention.

However, today I was reading that toxicity can occur due to titanium dental implants and orthopedic measures. I am terrified as I've seen three I've loved dearly die from medical intervention. I've always managed to steer clear from medical intervention... now I feel I've delivered myself into the devil's lair. I know that probably sounds over dramatic.

I minimized the amount of medication and after vomiting most of yesterday recovering from the anesthesia and dilaudid I weaned myself to ibuprofen. The glands in my neck feel somewhat swollen. I imagine detoxing the heavy drug load my body is not used to. The pain is manageable... somewhat. Not sure if I should try giving up the ibuprofen tonight. Still eating, including raw fats. I remember AV used to say your body needs nutrients to heal.

My plan: to heal my wrist and then have the plate removed, next year once fully healed. I've been taking Dr. Ron's bone supplement since I broke it. While I always tend to strong and independent, I'm feeling rather frightened and vulnerable.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 07:58:55 pm »
Thank you. It's good to land somewhere. I'm feeling a bit terrified at the moment. I had surgery on my wrist yesterday. I had shattered it falling off a bicycle I should probably have not been on. It was a Barton's fracture, a dislocation and broken bone. I allowed them to put a titanium plate and pins in my wrist to help it heal. The surgeon seems like he knew what he was doing and I needed the medical intervention.

However, today I was reading that toxicity can occur due to titanium dental implants and orthopedic measures. I am terrified as I've seen three I've loved dearly die from medical intervention. I've always managed to steer clear from medical intervention... now I feel I've delivered myself into the devil's lair. I know that probably sounds over dramatic.

I minimized the amount of medication and after vomiting most of yesterday recovering from the anesthesia and dilaudid I weaned myself to ibuprofen. The glands in my neck feel somewhat swollen. I imagine detoxing the heavy drug load my body is not used to. The pain is manageable... somewhat. Not sure if I should try giving up the ibuprofen tonight. Still eating, including raw fats. I remember AV used to say your body needs nutrients to heal.

My plan: to heal my wrist and then have the plate removed, next year once fully healed. I've been taking Dr. Ron's bone supplement since I broke it. While I always tend to strong and independent, I'm feeling rather frightened and vulnerable.

Broken bone huh? That stinks. Maybe what would help it repair faster is making sure you get all the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K1, and K2), with emphasis on K2. It's supposed to be pretty good for bone growth. A raw diet can provide those in good quantities.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:49:33 am »
Don't forget that the anesthesia is really a cocktail that includes a huge load of antibiotics. Using a supplemental probiotic is a good idea.

There are many grades of titanium, and the surgical-implant kind is probably the best you can have under these circumstances (IMO). I would accept it and become aware of its benefits to you, and that will help your body avoid harm. If you want to enhance detox, selenium and chlorella are good for metal detox.

I hope you heal quickly and completely.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 06:47:37 am »
Maybe what would help it repair faster is making sure you get all the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K1, and K2), with emphasis on K2. It's supposed to be pretty good for bone growth. A raw diet can provide those in good quantities.
Thanks. In your opinion what would the best source be?
I just had a meal of ground beef (Northstar) and bone marrow. Followed by Dr. Ron's Organ Delight & his bone meal capsule and fermented cod liver oil. It seems to be sitting pretty well.
You seem like you have been doing a lot of experimenting yourself. Will research K1 & K2.

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 06:56:42 am »
Don't forget that the anesthesia is really a cocktail that includes a huge load of antibiotics. Using a supplemental probiotic is a good idea.

There are many grades of titanium, and the surgical-implant kind is probably the best you can have under these circumstances (IMO). I would accept it and become aware of its benefits to you, and that will help your body avoid harm. If you want to enhance detox, selenium and chlorella are good for metal detox.

I hope you heal quickly and completely.
Thanks for the wise words regarding not letting my mind get carried away, and instead seeing the good for my body. I do need to focus on healing for now. Not freaking myself out.
So, any suggestions for probiotic?
Also, not sure how to start a journal. I'm thinking this area is more for initial welcoming.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 07:21:27 am »
The best probiotic I have found, short of making really good fermented/high/aged meats is Garden of Life "Primal Defense", its a good deal if you buy it in the non capsulated form.  Also, make sure you get lots of gristly meats with lots of cartilage, shoulder roasts/chops are good for that, also knees, if you let them dry you can scrape and peel off cartilage and tendons, cause there is likely to be some damage there too.  Eating whole fish and shrimps will help too.

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 10:16:17 am »
@ Jessica. Thanks I looked up that product and will check it out further when I get out. I really like your idea of aging the meat. I never really got into the high meat before... only accidentally when I'd forget some meat in a jar tucked into the corner of the fridge. Are you talking about aging on a rack? I did do some of that when I'd receive my shipment of meat for the week. I'd put the steaks on a narrow shelf with a rack. I do have some sirloin tip roast I could do that with. I haven't done it in awhile.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 11:37:37 am »
I really like your idea of aging the meat. I never really got into the high meat before... only accidentally when I'd forget some meat in a jar tucked into the corner of the fridge. Are you talking about aging on a rack? I did do some of that when I'd receive my shipment of meat for the week. I'd put the steaks on a narrow shelf with a rack. I do have some sirloin tip roast I could do that with. I haven't done it in awhile.

High meat and dried meat are different, even though both involve aging, as in the passage of time...

The main difference in the procedure is that dried meat is allowed to dry out with good air circulation, while high meat is covered to preserve the moisture and aired periodically.

Dried meat has varying degrees of dryness, while high meat has varying degrees of slimyness.

High meat grows beneficial probiotic bacteria. It's not usually the main course, but it is a great source of gut organisms.

Here's a link to a thread on this forum about high meat preparation: http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/high-meat-recipe-preparation-for-more-advanced-rafers/msg2707/#msg2707.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 12:29:45 am »
High meat and dried meat are different, even though both involve aging, as in the passage of time...

Here's a link to a thread on this forum about high meat preparation: http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/display-your-culinary-creations/high-meat-recipe-preparation-for-more-advanced-rafers/msg2707/#msg2707.
Thanks. So, do you use both aged meat and high meat? Also do you still use a probiotic once you have high meat? How about fermented veg?
Tried an Apex probiotic my bf brought home from his office last night. It did help. Also I chewed on 1/2 inch tumeric root and spit out the minimal remaining pulp.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 04:25:48 am »
Titanium is relatively inert. I wouldn't worry too much about it.  You can use food-grade hydrogen peroxide to detox it out if you want.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 11:30:27 am »
I have heard a few testimonials about supplemental progesterone helping to heal broken bones, burns, and other wounds.

http://www.freshlife.com/content/progesterone-and-bone-health

Here it talks about bone health and progesterone.

Gnawing on bones.

Offline blake

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 02:19:36 pm »
Hey Celeste, I just joined this forum and read your post about your bicycle accident. So sorry to hear about that, ouch! I wanted to mention what Aajonus would say was the best mineral supplement: and that's unsalted raw cheese. But he would say what was critical was that you chew it up with honey at the same time. So you eat the cheese and honey simultaneously so the enzymes in the honey break it down. Otherwise apparently just eating the cheese will only act as an "absorber," primarily of toxins in the stomach. Hope that helps!

And if it were me I'd also do the "high meats" as well as someone posted previously. I bet it would speed up your recovery a great deal. You'll digest better (utilize nutrients better), and it will help detox your body of the toxic meds you had to take.  With your minerals, bacteria, and fats you should detox smoothly and effectively. No worries Celeste - hope you feel better soon :)

Offline blake

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 02:22:50 pm »
Oh that last line I just meant to say not to worry too much. I know, easy for me to say right :)

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 06:14:06 am »
I have heard a few testimonials about supplemental progesterone helping to heal broken bones, burns, and other wounds.

http://www.freshlife.com/content/progesterone-and-bone-health

Here it talks about bone health and progesterone.
Very interesting. Noted that my cycle did end this year. Wondering what RPD foods might contribute to a higher progesterone level. I think I'd like to actually get a density screen to see if that is a factor.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 06:29:22 am »
I like blakes suggestions, do you have any source of raw milk Celeste? Drinking whey and eating raw cheese really helped re-mineralize my teeth. 

Did your cycle end due age related menopause or something else? 

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 06:30:22 am »
Hey Celeste, I just joined this forum and read your post about your bicycle accident. So sorry to hear about that, ouch! I wanted to mention what Aajonus would say was the best mineral supplement: and that's unsalted raw cheese. But he would say what was critical was that you chew it up with honey at the same time. So you eat the cheese and honey simultaneously so the enzymes in the honey break it down. Otherwise apparently just eating the cheese will only act as an "absorber," primarily of toxins in the stomach. Hope that helps!

And if it were me I'd also do the "high meats" as well as someone posted previously. I bet it would speed up your recovery a great deal. You'll digest better (utilize nutrients better), and it will help detox your body of the toxic meds you had to take.  With your minerals, bacteria, and fats you should detox smoothly and effectively. No worries Celeste - hope you feel better soon :)
Thanks Blake. I think that high meat is something that I do want to start. The question is for me what role do I want dairy to play in my diet. I still have many tubs of raw grassfed butter in the fridge. I gave up raw milk a year or so as I noticed a pain in my lower back (kidneys?) when I would drink it. Later I noticed a similar thing from eating the raw cheese. The area was irritated and actually had my back go out gardening. When not doing milk/cheese this doesn't happen.

This has been a big dilemma for me as raw butter is such an easy, very satisfying source of fat. I've worried if those same milk components are still in the butter that might be inflaming. I had switched to using tallow which is cooked :( ... also satisfying, but with its own problems being cooked. I may still do the the butter, as I am finding the marrow, suet does not have quite the calming effect. I do have to say though that the butter gives me a little of a belly, and some sinus congestion. Thanks though for the info and well wishes :)

Offline Celeste

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 06:39:11 am »
I like blakes suggestions, do you have any source of raw milk Celeste? Drinking whey and eating raw cheese really helped re-mineralize my teeth. 

Did your cycle end due age related menopause or something else?
Yes, Amish milk/dairy. Just posted about my experience with it. Good question about the age related. I turned 55 this last year, so think it's age related. It was an easy transition. No night sweats, mood swings, hot flashes. I will keep an open mind about the dairy while I keep searching. This has been one of my big questions. Was even considering doing a food intolerance test for it.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 07:40:15 am »
Very interesting. Noted that my cycle did end this year. Wondering what RPD foods might contribute to a higher progesterone level. I think I'd like to actually get a density screen to see if that is a factor.

Progesterone is a hormone made from cholesterol.
The body makes cholesterol from fructose.
Gnawing on bones.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 12:12:15 pm »
Celeste, your milk/cheese issues may be related to the excess calcium. Butter doesn't actually have calcium, so I'd say you ought to give it a try.  I do have problems from the excess calcium in cheese, so I always take a magnesium supplement when I eat cheese.

Offline blake

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 04:08:53 pm »
Maybe if you ate the cheese with honey? As I was saying before- breaks it down, digests very differently. And maybe go for the cultured butter if you can.

Offline blake

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 04:13:11 pm »
Thanks Blake. I think that high meat is something that I do want to start. The question is for me what role do I want dairy to play in my diet. I still have many tubs of raw grassfed butter in the fridge. I gave up raw milk a year or so as I noticed a pain in my lower back (kidneys?) when I would drink it. Later I noticed a similar thing from eating the raw cheese. The area was irritated and actually had my back go out gardening. When not doing milk/cheese this doesn't happen.

This has been a big dilemma for me as raw butter is such an easy, very satisfying source of fat. I've worried if those same milk components are still in the butter that might be inflaming. I had switched to using tallow which is cooked :( ... also satisfying, but with its own problems being cooked. I may still do the the butter, as I am finding the marrow, suet does not have quite the calming effect. I do have to say though that the butter gives me a little of a belly, and some sinus congestion. Thanks though for the info and well wishes :)
Oh, anytime Celeste! I hope you heal up quickly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk