Author Topic: Washing dishes - is soap needed?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Washing dishes - is soap needed?
« on: February 05, 2014, 04:11:19 am »
I'm wondering if when I'm cleaning plates/bowls that I've used to eat raw meat/fat, is it necessary to use soap for cleaning them, or would it be sufficient to just use a dish scrubber and warm water to clean/rinse the bowl?

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Washing dishes - is soap needed?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:17:48 am »
If you don't have warm water then soap doesn't work. My buddy uses dirt as a cleaning agent.

Offline mango

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:53:22 am »
I'm currently using soap and warm water with a dish scrubber.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 05:12:39 am »
Soap is rarely needed. Most of the times cold water is sufficient to clean the dishes, except when it contained fish. For meat, a wooden platter is more suited; it can be washed with warm water, without soap.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:23:48 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline RogueFarmer

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 06:16:57 am »
Wood is easier and nicer to cut on. Also easier to make your own with a chainsaw and a sander. Not sure how much chainsaw oil comes off into the wood though... Could you use lard instead of chainsaw oil in the chainsaw?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:04 pm »
I only eat out of one ceramic bowl, and I clean it with my finger.  If I cook stuff in my pot, which is stainless steel,  I clean that with a piece of steel wool.  Anything that is abrasive will work though, where I have lived where the running water is from an outdoor spigot, I often have used gravel, dirt, leaves, chips of wood, etc  cause that's whats around, its how I clean all these animals bowls too.  Dirt works well when you don't have hot water because its absorbent.  There are substances like chicken fat and marrow just make everything greasy, that's when soap is helpful but also realizing you aren't going to die from a little old fat is also helpful.   It's weird that I had this conversation IRL today, get out of my brain internet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk