Author Topic: Seaweeds, self harvesting, Baltic sea  (Read 2676 times)

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Seaweeds, self harvesting, Baltic sea
« on: February 05, 2014, 04:55:02 am »
Are all seaweeds edible? Where do they specifically grow, and how far and in how deep water? When what kind are in season (if they have these) and are some available during winter?
I will go check the shores myself anyway but I'm waiting for winter to pass and would very much like to know what I'll be getting myself into.
What to look for and where.

I'd rather harvest myself without paying for something I could potentially get for free with the expense of seeing and touching nature.

Interested especially in the ones in the Baltic sea, as I actually live about 30 km from the shoreline.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Seaweeds, self harvesting, Baltic sea
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:34:26 pm »
Google books on identifying edible seaweeds or go to your local library or bookstore and pick up some books, you can also see if there is someone who sells locally harvested seaweed and see if they can be a resource for learning to identify and harvest your own.  There are edibles you can harvest from the shore and others you will need a boat, and you can dry them by hanging them outside in a dry sunny location of inside in front of a fan.  It is perfectly fine to harvest yourself if you feel like you can make a positive identification, I have had friends harvest dulse and other seaweeds off the coast up here in the Pacific Northwest, they went with a local herbalism school, perhaps there is one of those where you are located?

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:24:20 pm »
I would not eat too much of the seaweed in Baltic Sea. I live close to the coast too. But I buy my seaweed from France / Orkos. The water in Baltic Sea is not that salty.. and pretty polluted too. So if you are able to get seaweeds from the Atlantic I would recommend that.
I   have munched on some seaweed though in summer when I am by the coast, there are  no seaweeds that are poisonous AFAIK. I eat the ones I find tasty.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:57:39 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline rihmjihm

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 02:49:47 pm »
Do I really need to give some examples?

Take a person used to drink several cups of coffee per day. What will happen to her when suddenly deprived of coffee?

Take someone who has eaten a standard cooked diet during her whole life and give her a good raw paleo meal with the best wild meat and raw food available. What is likely to happen to her in the next few hours?

Hundreds of examples can be found. Detoxination is something making the issue even more complex.

ahsan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk