Author Topic: What kind of animal fat im i eating here?  (Read 4755 times)

Offline McGetty

• Forager
    • View Profile
What kind of animal fat im i eating here?
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:04:02 am »
Hey everyone I'm new here and although not new to eating raw foods i've been meaning to join up now for some time. Ive started eating raw foods back in 2007 i think, i started getting into raw primal foods in 2008 after hearing about AV. (I've heard he passed away and I'm very saddened by this)
Anyways i have been searching the forums and im not finding much on the topic of animal fats such as suet. Presently I'm getting my fats from eggs, raw milk, avocados, young coconut(amazing) but my problem is i tried what seems like suet a while ago but I'm not sure if it's that. Does anyone find it hard to eat it? i mean the taste is fine but the texture is out of this world! I'm trying to eat it but it's like masticating gum thats been in your mouth for hours and literally sticks in every crevices in your mouth/teeth, anyone else experience that? its horrible please tell me thats not suet lol i ordered it from bison... I asked for back bison fat (i heard someone else mention it before) but now im not even sure if its the same as Suet?
Can someone help me out on this? im confused and if possible i would rather have animal fat as coconut or butter is expensive!
Thank you :)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of animal fat im i eating here?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:53:43 am »
Anyways i have been searching the forums and im not finding much on the topic of animal fats such as suet. Presently I'm getting my fats from eggs, raw milk, avocados, young coconut(amazing) but my problem is i tried what seems like suet a while ago but I'm not sure if it's that. Does anyone find it hard to eat it? i mean the taste is fine but the texture is out of this world! I'm trying to eat it but it's like masticating gum thats been in your mouth for hours and literally sticks in every crevices in your mouth/teeth, anyone else experience that? its horrible please tell me thats not suet lol i ordered it from bison... I asked for back bison fat (i heard someone else mention it before) but now im not even sure if its the same as Suet?

Suet is fat from around the kidney area. I find it dry and unpalatable. Your description is right on. I ask my butcher for beef back fat trimmings. Back fat looks completely different from the globular suet. When I chew this fat, it liquifies in my mouth and tastes slightly buttery. Fat from lamb and goat is good, too, but these are leaner animals, so you might not find someone who has trimmings of these. Bone marrow is another good-tasting and good-textured fat. Tongue and brains are fatty, too.

It took me a while to get my butcher to consistently give me only the beef trimming I like, but he caught on.

Good luck.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline McGetty

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:09:55 am »
hey thanks for the fast reply. When you say dry do you mean like chalky? thats what i get when i first start chewing it and then quickly progresses to the pasty sticky feeling. very strange.
Back fat looks completely different from the globular suet. When I chew this fat, it liquifies in my mouth and tastes slightly buttery.
omg yes thats what i would love to try as i heard about it from someone else i think it was daniel vitalis... Is there a proper name to this fat? as to not get ripped off again in the near future? I did ask them for back bison fat and like you said its different, then they gave me the wrong kind.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:18:54 am »
I also found raw suet to be like gum in texture.  I also found it chalky and unpleasant to eat. Indeed, I often found that I was unable to digest it as I would get bright yellow stools coming out the other end after consuming raw suet. Far better to get other sources of raw fat such as raw marrow, raw tongue or raw brains(from 100% grassfed or wild animals, of course!).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline McGetty

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 06:34:49 am »
i can't imagine the look on a farmers face after asking for brains haha but yeah i'll definitely  try out bone marrow and some others.. Thanks

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:41:32 am »
Suet is my primary fat source because it is so abundant.  Yes, by itself it is not too pleasant.  I always eat it with meat and that way suet texture does not bother me at all.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:37:47 am »
Is there a proper name to this fat? as to not get ripped off again in the near future? I did ask them for back bison fat and like you said its different, then they gave me the wrong kind.

First of all, I have come to accept that fat varies from animal to animal and from season to season, so this might hamper your communication when you try to get what you want, but what I ask for is the fat that they trim off the rump when they prepare the hind quarter. You might add that you want the same type of that they trim from the London broil, rump roast, round roast, or whatever they call those cuts in your area. I used a cow anatomy chart to learn what I was talking about, and I relied on the cuts that had the fat I liked to tell the butcher where that fat was.

"My butcher"  :-* gets one of those hanging beef whole animals every week, so my access is easy. I am lavish with the compliments and get treated well, so I recommend cultivating the relationship with your butcher with the same care that you would use for God, spouse, and children.

For bison, even though I live near zillions of bison ranches, the stock is shipped off for slaughter at big processing plants and sold pre-packaged, so no butcher is involved. You might call North Star Bison and ask about options, if there are any.

If you get a batch of fat that you don't like, use it as a starting point for a discussion about what you prefer, if you think that will lead to a more custom order.

Happy hunting!
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 04:00:25 pm »
Egg yolks are cheap.
Bone marrow is the best.
Muscle fat is okay.
I don't enjoy suet either myself so I don't eat it.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 04:16:41 pm »
I don't like suet either. What I've been getting is raw beef fat/muscle meat trimmings. I think it's very good. I eat about 2.5-4 oz each meal (3 meals each day).

I also like marrow, fatty meat/organs, and egg yolks in moderation.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk