Author Topic: Are overripe fruits good for us?  (Read 15765 times)

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Are overripe fruits good for us?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 04:42:49 am »
Why such a decision? Taking decisions beforehand about which raw paleo foods we're going to eat and which ones we are going to avoid is not very paleo!

For a contrasting perspective to what iguana said, what I do is remember that paleolithic man did not get my type of modern illnesses, so I might have to make some therapeutic decisions based on my condition today. After all, paleolithic man would not keep trying to eat something that made him sick; so it is the same with me, and you can do what works for you if you need to avoid acute symptoms such as inflammation.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 04:59:38 am »
Why such a decision? Taking decisions beforehand about which raw paleo foods we're going to eat and which ones we are going to avoid is not very paleo!

Well because I can't eat just whatever please me, I was down to an elimination diet of synthetic food(elemental feed formula) to avoid negative reaction food reactions. I developed severe inflammation from eating fruits and vegetables, from cooked to raw to very ripe.

I just wanna eat what's likely going to be the best for me, following my instinct as led to me eating the wrong food or the wrong amount many times. I don't doubt that follow your instinct works but atm, I couldn't trust it enough even though I try to. It works best to follow your instinct when you have a clear and healthy mind, not so much when you are very very sick.

I really wanna binge on honey, dates and fermented food and eat a lot more meat then I currently am! But my gut is already going through a rough time. I'm only eating 1 pound of meat a day so far as more would cause digestive pain.

Offline nummi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 05:55:33 am »
Just wondering, how much salt do you consume? NaCl... Cl --> HCl aka stomach acid. I noticed that when my salt intake was smaller I wasn't as hungry either, and noticed negative effects on health. Perhaps some issues you have could be explained by your body having too little Cl to produce enough stomach acid? And since there's too little, your body cannot handle large amounts of food and won't even ask for them? And if you consume more than your body can handle it will be stressed out and down trying to manage? Your gut bacteria is off balance, because stomach acid lacks in potency and because of that it won't kill off the bad bacteria it should?

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 07:42:38 am »
Just wondering, how much salt do you consume? NaCl... Cl --> HCl aka stomach acid. I noticed that when my salt intake was smaller I wasn't as hungry either, and noticed negative effects on health. Perhaps some issues you have could be explained by your body having too little Cl to produce enough stomach acid? And since there's too little, your body cannot handle large amounts of food and won't even ask for them? And if you consume more than your body can handle it will be stressed out and down trying to manage? Your gut bacteria is off balance, because stomach acid lacks in potency and because of that it won't kill off the bad bacteria it should?

I dunno, I am always hungry, I just had half a pound of ground lamb because I found myself so hungry. I did the HCL test once, tried a capsule to increase acidity and ended up with a new severe symptom of colon burning pain that lasted 3 days and never bother to try again. I did eat beet and never found my urine or stool to be purple and I never find undigested particles in my stool. And today I completely cut out honey as I think it might contribute to making me look pregnant(bloated).

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 08:32:06 am »
It does make sense to not do something if it causes serious problems for you.

Ripening is also a more complex matter than many people realize. As I mentioned, non-climacteric fruits generally will not continue to ripen once they are picked and their eating quality will thus usually not improve. Pineapples are an exception, as they will soften after picking. Plus, pineapples and oranges can be artificially "de-greened" after picking with ethylene gas.

Even though bananas and plantains are climacteric fruits that ripen after picking, there is a downside to ripening them--the resistant starch content decreases. Since there are not a lot of raw whole food sources of RS in the USA, this is a significant downside. Plus, bananas/plantains become very sugary (glucose-rich) when bletted, which can be an issue for people who are sensitive to sugary foods. I used to eat my bananas and plantains super-ripe, but found that I had to limit myself to small amounts when doing so, especially with plantains. Now I eat most of my plantains and bananas as close to green as possible, drying the plantains to make them less astringent, and I have experienced health benefits since doing so. I do let some of the plantains ripen a bit. I think my favorite ones are dried slightly-ripe plantains that have a nice subtle sweetness.

The fruits I still eat bletted are medlars and cherimoyas, when they're available, and occasionally a super-ripe banana that someone else doesn't want.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 09:01:28 am »
Well because I can't eat just whatever please me,... I really wanna binge on honey, dates and fermented food and eat a lot more meat then I currently am! But my gut is already going through a rough time.

Even though eating by instinct is okay per se, the type of condition you describe interferes with instinct, so you are doing the right thing for now. Factors that can make your instincts feel like cravings include yeast overgrowth, bacterial imbalance, blood-sugar imbalance, and many other physical causes.

Low salt intake can be a factor in the way that nummi describes, but since fermented foods usually contain salt, remember that you are ingesting salt from that source. I drink the juices from fermented vegetables, too.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk