Author Topic: Article: Mothers produce gender, status specific milk for babies.  (Read 9424 times)

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/02/17/3946253.htm

Mothers may say they don't care whether they have a son or a daughter, but their breast milk says otherwise.

"Mothers are producing different biological recipes for sons and daughters," says Katie Hinde, an evolutionary biologist at Harvard University.

Studies in humans, monkeys and other mammals have found a variety of differences in both the content and the quantity of milk produced.

One common theme: baby boys often get milk that is richer in fat or protein — and thus energy — while baby girls often get more milk.

There are a lot of theories as to why this happens, says Hinde, who presented her findings at the American Association for the Advancement of Science's annual meeting.

Rhesus monkeys, for instance, tend to produce more calcium in the milk they feed to daughters who inherit social status from their mothers.

"It could be adaptive in that it allows mothers to give more milk to daughters which is going to accelerate their development  and allow them to begin reproducing at early ages," says Hinde.

Reasons unclear

Males don't need to reach sexual maturity as quickly as females because the only limit on how often they reproduce is how many females they can win over.

The females also nurse for longer than male monkeys, who spend more time playing off on their own and thus need more energetically dense milk.

It's not yet clear why human mothers produce such different milk for their babies, says Hinde.

There is evidence, however, that the stage is set while the baby is still in utero.

Hinde published a study last week that showed that the sex of the foetus influences the milk production of cows long after they are separated from their calves &emdash; typically within hours of the birth.

The study of 1.49 million cows found that, over the course of two 305 day lactation periods, they produced an average of 445 kilograms more milk when they had female calves than when they had males.

They also found no difference in the protein or fat content of the milk produced for heifers than for bulls.

Improving milk formula

Much remains to be understood about how breast milk impacts infant development in humans, says Hinde.

Knowing more could help improve the baby milk formulas sold to mothers who are unable or unwilling to nurse their infants, she says.

"While the food aspects of milk to some extent are replicated in formula, the immuno factors and medicine of milk are not and the hormonal signals are not," she says.

Getting a better understanding of how milk is personalised for specific infants will also help hospitals find better matches for breast milk donated to help nourish sick and premature infants in neo natal units, she adds.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:32:49 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Article: Mothers produce gender, status specific milk for babies.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:07:27 pm »
Celebrate truth in gender differences.   Feed our children gender appropriate foods.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:53:31 pm »
That's very interesting. Now we discover that milk for females babies is different than milk for males babies... Imagine how different are the milks of various animals species, each being specifically adapted for the young of a particular species!    ;)

Celebrate truth in gender differences.   Feed our children gender appropriate foods.

Feed them the milk of their mother, not the milk of a cow or a goat!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:22:33 am »
That's very interesting. Now we discover that milk for females babies is different than milk for males babies... Imagine how different are the milks of various animals species, each being specifically adapted for the young of a particular species!    ;)

There you go again Iguana, preaching.

I see this image of God coming down on a golden chariot : ) pulled by two pure white stallions, proclaiming from the mountain top that milk is OK for some and not OK for others and Iguana walking away mumbling under his breath, you mark my words, "Beware The Ides of Milk". LOL
Cheers
Al

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 04:32:13 am »
Al, please confine your pro-milk comments in the Primal diet or W. Price diet sections. This is a raw paleo forum. Thanks!

Anyway, you can't know if you belong to the lucky ones for whom milk would be OK. For the hundredth time, in complex systems short run effects and long run effects are frequently very different.

As you don't seem to understand what this means, it means that you may apparently do fine with dairy during decades, but get in the end  a terrible illness caused by your dairy consumption.
 >D

Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 04:41:42 am »
Al, please confine your pro-milk comments in the Primal diet or W. Price diet sections. This is a raw paleo forum. Thanks!

Anyway, you can't know if you belong to the lucky ones for whom milk would be OK. For the hundredth time, in complex systems short run effects and long run effects are frequently very different.

As you don't seem to understand what this means, it means that you may apparently do fine with dairy during decades, but get in the end  a terrible illness caused by your dairy consumption.
 >D

My experience is that you always remove milk references to the non-paleo sections and I am curious as to why you didn't in this case, so if you didn't then you are allowing others to talk freely about it. You talked freely about it so that seemed to invite others to.

Re: short runs, I am 60, so that is hardly a short run. If I was 100 I suspect you would say that was a short run.

We all will die of something, you will die of things you ingested, combined with emotions that you have not digested and toxins etc.

If a person is unable to digest something including a raw paleo substance and they continue to eat it they will get some illness or die. Simple.
Cheers
Al

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 04:58:30 am »
What Jessica posted is about babies drinking the specific milk of their own species, not about human adults drinking animal milk. Thus it rightly belongs to the paleo section. 

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:04:50 am »

What Jessica posted is about babies drinking the specific milk of their own species, not about human adults drinking animal milk. Thus it rightly belongs to the paleo section. 

Yes and then you digressed into what I brought up. So you changed the subject to your favourite rant.
Cheers
Al

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 05:19:33 am »
As this is a raw paleo forum and as we are in one of its paleo sections, I fail to see anything misplaced in what I wrote. Otherwise it would be inappropriate as well to bring forward arguments against grain consumption in this forum. What you say makes no sense.

I'm off now, enough said.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:05:20 am »
So cool. Who knows how much more specific it can be. Maybe it's produced specifically to tailor a baby's genetics, or where they are in their growth, etc. and not just their gender.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:37:46 am »
We attended la leche league seminars and they say mothers milk adjusts in composition with the baby's age.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 09:09:35 am »
Incredible Jessica, thanks for that.
Cheers
Al

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 09:42:25 am »
In all milk formulas sold in my country it says "Breast Milk is still best for babies" (by law).

And breast milk can be polluted.  Like what happened with 2 babies of my brother's wife.

Genetically, his 2 children got his genetic trait of being allergic to wheat (gluten sensitivity?)

Whenever the mother ate any kind of wheat "food", her baby being fully breast fed showed rashes / psoriasis.  So apparently wheat was safe for the mother, but not for her babies.  This happened to 2 consecutive fully breast fed babies.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 09:45:43 am »
That makes sense GS.

The body sees the wheat as some kind of attack on it so it produces antigens which do damage. This would then be transferred to the baby.

I believe that is how it works.
Cheers
Al

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 10:52:56 am »
The mother's nipples (and other mammary apparatus) have a lot of receptors that pick up information from the baby in order to make this status-specific milk. We knew this back in the 70s and 80s when I was nursing my babies. Nowadays, I see a lot of working mothers who pump their milk to leave breast milk at the babysitter, but that practice thwarts some of the status-specific feedback mechanisms that exists between mom's nipple and baby's mouth.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 12:12:21 pm »
The mother's nipples (and other mammary apparatus) have a lot of receptors that pick up information from the baby in order to make this status-specific milk. We knew this back in the 70s and 80s when I was nursing my babies. Nowadays, I see a lot of working mothers who pump their milk to leave breast milk at the babysitter, but that practice thwarts some of the status-specific feedback mechanisms that exists between mom's nipple and baby's mouth.
Fascinating Eve.
Sort of reminds me of the reasons why we should eat with our hands. We get information on the food before we eat it. Utensils started off as a fashion and have subsequently become normal in 'first world countries'.
Cheers
Al

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 01:25:13 pm »
Fascinating Eve.
Sort of reminds me of the reasons why we should eat with our hands. We get information on the food before we eat it. Utensils started off as a fashion and have subsequently become normal in 'first world countries'.

Some provincial Filipinos prefer eating with their hands because they say GOOD FOOD goes down well better and is more satisfying.  My aunt and uncle even put one leg up on their chair while doing so!

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 04:53:49 pm »
Incredible Jessica, thanks for that.
You’re a good guy, Al ; sorry that we often clash.

In all milk formulas sold in my country it says "Breast Milk is still best for babies" (by law).

And breast milk can be polluted.  Like what happened with 2 babies of my brother's wife.
Genetically, his 2 children got his genetic trait of being allergic to wheat (gluten sensitivity?)
Whenever the mother ate any kind of wheat "food", her baby being fully breast fed showed rashes / psoriasis.  So apparently wheat was safe for the mother, but not for her babies.  This happened to 2 consecutive fully breast fed babies.
Of course, some of the toxins previously ingested by the mother find their way into her milk. Even our members who eat dairy don’t want the milk of badly fed animals.

It’s not that wheat is safe for the mother; it’s simply that her immune system is (became) tolerant while her babies’ immune system is not (yet) tolerant and expels the noxious molecules by the rashes /psoriasis system. Just 5 days ago I posted again here http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/primal-diet/allergies-tolerance-intolerance/msg119307/#msg119307  the explanation coherent with raw paleo diet about tolerance / intolerance, as devised by GCB.

That makes sense GS.
The body sees the wheat as some kind of attack on it so it produces antigens which do damage. This would then be transferred to the baby.
Antigens are not produced by the body, they are in the wheat. You seem to confuse antibodies and antigens. Wikipedia again:
An antibody (Ab), also known as an immunoglobulin (Ig), is a large Y-shape protein produced by B cells that is used by the immune system to identify and neutralize foreign objects such as bacteria and viruses.
Fascinating Eve.
We get relevant information on the food before we eat it mainly from our nose. We also see it with our eyes but our nose is just over the mouth, so it can check what will be put inside in addition to guide us to the appropriate food. Our fingers can provide additional minor info. 

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 04:05:56 am »
Some provincial Filipinos prefer eating with their hands because they say GOOD FOOD goes down well better and is more satisfying.  My aunt and uncle even put one leg up on their chair while doing so!
When I visit Indian (from India) friends I get to enjoy eating that way.
You’re a good guy, Al ; sorry that we often clash.
No need to apologize, takes two to tangle (tango). Sometimes very good info comes out when disagreements occur.

You're a better man than I, for holding up the truce flag first!
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk