Author Topic: Are there "healthy and unhealthy foods"?  (Read 13485 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Are there "healthy and unhealthy foods"?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 06:47:47 am »
I ate some wild grains which tasted good. It was long ago, I'll do this again asap and let you know.
Meaningless, really. I love the taste of some nuts but they still give me some indigestion due to the antinutrients in them, even after they have been soaked in water.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 04:04:06 pm »
They give you some indigestion, that's what you notice. Then you assume it's due to the antinutrients in them... it's only an assumption based on your personal and particular reaction, which can be due to other causes.

Nuts don’t cause indigestions to other raw paleo dieters, hunther-gatherers and chimps.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 04:31:37 pm »
They give you some indigestion, that's what you notice. Then you assume it's due to the antinutrients in them... it's only an assumption based on your personal and particular reaction, which can be due to other causes.

Nuts don’t cause indigestions to other raw paleo dieters, hunther-gatherers and chimps.

They do. In my case, I know it is a question of antinutrients as I suffer less from the nuts if I soak them in water for 24 hours beforehand. Soaking in water does remove some antinutrients, after all.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 05:27:46 pm »
I would say un-seasonal... un-natural - depending on where we live (!) (heavily cultured and also processed stuff) is the unhealthy stuff and the opposite is the healthy ones.  :)

Sure individual illnesses might need some regulations to the above for medical purposes but otherwise I think it is very easy, for me at least.

Now... it is not only about food. What about nude tanning... magnetism... natural darkness and temps.. love.. those might be even more important than what we put in our mouth

Offline Eberhardt1973

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2017, 03:26:47 pm »
@Iguana

...aging meat has the property of breaking the meat down, similar to how it will eventually need to be broken down in our bodies, so that it is easier to digest for us or in a simpler form already when we eat the partially decayed meat...

You either have the metabolic capacity to break down animal protein, or you don't. Although blood type seems to play a part in the factor, so does overall level of health, and the use of pharmaceutical medication, more specifically broad-spectrum (and any type of) antibiotics, which destroy synergistic colonies of bacteria that aid in the digestion of all foods. But if you do not produce the peptides and enzymes required to break down meat (especially raw red beef or similar types), then you probably shouldn't be eating meat, or if you do, do so sparingly until you can get your body into a healthy enough state.

If you haven't researched it, raw beef (especially organs) have all the nutrients that we require. Also, they should be easy for a healthy person to metabolize. They consist of what we are, and require very little breakdown, contrary to complex vegetable matter. I don't have 4 stomachs, nor the time to vomit and then chew my cud. Plants require excessive energy to break down.

Personally, I've been eating at least 1lb of raw beef daily since '98, and I've never had a problem with it. If I feel like I'm coming down with something, of course I increase my water intake and take my ascorbic acid megadoses, but I also increase my raw meat intake, and usually stop consuming any other type of food. The only reason that I eat other types of foods (vegetation, etc.) is because eating meat alone leaves me hungry in a half hour. Vegetables are harder to break down and it takes longer to feel hungry.

@Iguana

For example, many people use high speed blenders to blend their foodstuffs, unknowingly this has a beneficial effect of physically breaking the food up as it would be done by the teeth, and even on the cellular level due to friction just like in cooking. As the high speed blades cut the foodstuffs, small portions of the food are heated similar to cooking, and since this cutting happens many times per minute, it adds up to a great deal of heat applied to specific portions of the foodstuff. For this reason, many raw food groups prohibit the use of high speed blenders as it is a form of heating food beyond what the cells can handle.

I've never had a standard blender get anything past barely warm. I really think that there's a lot of hogwash in those slow blending sales pitches. Blending is a great though, because they create a great surface area for peptides and enzymes to attach to. It won't decrease the time that a food is metabolized though, because there's a limit to how much can get through the walls of the small intestines and into the capillaries at one time. But if you hate chewing that much, have at it, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:31:58 pm by Eberhardt1973 »

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2017, 12:15:22 am »
I used to take fiber supplements and briefly tried resistant starch. Only thing wrong with them is they are highly processed and cooked. If you're going to go raw paleo you will want to consume raw forms of resistant starch. Legumes which aren't paleo anyway are high in antinutrients. What is wrong with getting starch from roots and tubers?

I get mine from citrus peelings. Instead of juicing the fleshy part, I juice the whole citrus, peelings and all. Though there is still quite a bit of pulp left behind, the juice is much, much thicker, so I know a lot of the peeling is winding up in the juice. I don't do it only for the fiber. I do it for the oils and fragrance more than for the fiber as well as the vitamins and minerals that it adds.

I'm still considering eating raw potatoes. I went so far as to buy some a few weeks ago but they are still sitting untouched in my refrigerator. I do agree that antinutrients are in everything and I don't see a few raw potatoes posing a problem but since I haven't been craving them I am letting them be. It does seem that the more raw meat, especially organ meats I eat, the better I feel. I used to feel hungry after eating raw meat but somehow drying it out or semi drying some of it satisfies me in the same way that cooking used to do.

I think soaking nuts only removes a small fraction of the antinutrients and is also only a small fraction of the changes it causes to the seed. When a seed sprouts it changes dramatically similar to the way a hatching egg turns into a chicken yet nothing is added to the egg and only water to the sprout. I think even though a cracked nut isn't viable for growing it is still somewhat alive and capable of forming some of the compounds that are created during sprouting.

Digestion is far more complicated than foods being masticated and dissolved in stomach acid and involves not only enzymes but the additional step of microbes which are thought to outnumber the cells in the body ten to one. Also they do not only exist in the digestion tract but throughout the body so in a sense food is continuing to be digested long afterwards.

It was suggested that blenders cook food by heating small portions of the food as it's being chopped. I thought this was happening with my blender but I discovered it was because the food was getting in the bearings, causing friction and heating the food that way. I scrapped my blender and started using my food processor which is designed so the the bearings never come in contact with the food. This seems to have eliminated the problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk