Author Topic: Did I accidentally create high meat?  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Z

• Forager
    • View Profile
Did I accidentally create high meat?
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:13:20 am »
So I had a piece of thawed grass fed liver in my fridge(at least 72 hours, uncovered on glass). Its got a bunch of white growths now and a few pink protrusions that almost look like teeny tiny mushrooms. I salted it real well thinking that would preserve it(I went all in with raw but am still a little wary, of what I have no idea). In any case the liver smells fine, just like that liver-y smell. I don't want to screw up so soon and wondering if I should go ahead and eat it later tonight(I practice IF). Would you recommend eating it with acids like ACV/raw re wine vinegar/sauerkraut or maybe garlic/onion? I attached a few pics but they were taken on my iPhone with a magnifying glass so they might be hard to see.

Thanks guys!

And if this is the wrong forum, I do apologize. I'm still getting the lay of the land.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Did I accidentally create high meat?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:00:32 am »
It is definitely mold.  I would cut moldy part away.  In my fridge it does not get moldy, it just dries up.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:20:01 am »
The picture is not clear enough to say for sure, but those could be salt crystals. If you salted the liver, that would cut down on some of the changes that the meat could go through, like getting high or molding.

"Conventional" wisdom says to salt, salt, and salt some more. I never do. RPD says to make sure you have air circulation, and I follow that.

With liver, find how you like it by tasting it at different stages. I like liver fresh or aged for a few days, no more. On the other hand, I age the heck out of beef muscle.

By the way, welcome!
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Z

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:16:37 pm »
It is definitely mold.  I would cut moldy part away.  In my fridge it does not get moldy, it just dries up.
Why would you cut it away and not eat it? I do agree it's probably mold, it was sitting in liver juice the first 48 hours until I drained it. All my other meats have dried nice when there's no excess liquid so mold is likely.

The picture is not clear enough to say for sure, but those could be salt crystals. If you salted the liver, that would cut down on some of the changes that the meat could go through, like getting high or molding.

"Conventional" wisdom says to salt, salt, and salt some more. I never do. RPD says to make sure you have air circulation, and I follow that.

With liver, find how you like it by tasting it at different stages. I like liver fresh or aged for a few days, no more. On the other hand, I age the heck out of beef muscle.

By the way, welcome!
They don't look like salt crystals to me, its more of a very fine netting of sorts.

And thanks! I'm glad to be here :) I hope I can share some of what I know in return for all the stuff on this site.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:02:14 pm »
Why would you cut it away and not eat it?

There are million different kinds of mold, some are toxic, and some are not.  Just like mushrooms, some are very poisonous and some are edible.  I would have no clue what kind you are growing.  And nutritional benefits of non-toxic mold is questionable at best.  If you feel adventurous, try it and let us know how it is.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:22:53 am »
They don't look like salt crystals to me, its more of a very fine netting of sorts.

Yes, salt crystals - not so much salt has precipitated to build grains. Mold is fuzzy. Lick it. Salty?

I've gotten the same thing on salted bison in an "experiment" that I have never repeated. LOL
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:15 pm »
I would not EVER salt meat for keeping longer. This is not natural or healthy by any means IMHO. If you want salt put it on the food as you eat it? I do not like pre-salted meat or fish. I do not think it was ever done before modern times.

I have a piece of grassfed beef liver in my fridge open on a wooden plate for many weeks now and I just love the taste. I just cut slices and eat off the slab. Yum! No need for salt!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk