Author Topic: Jaw pain?  (Read 6996 times)

Offline gL0v3zz

• Forager
    • View Profile
Jaw pain?
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:48:07 pm »
I've had chronic jaw pain for quite a while now (over a year at least). I feel this pressure in my jaw joints (the hinge) and the only way to relive it is to 'pop' my jaw - I open my mouth really wide until I the joint literally pops. Think of cracking your knuckles, same concept but with your jaw. It's really annoying, and strangely, it feels much worse when I smoke marijuana.

Any ideas on what it is and what I can do to remedy it?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Jaw pain?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 01:28:38 am »
good chance you grind your teeth at night,   Very common.   You might ask your dentist to look for evidence of grinding,, wearing of teeth or get a simple night guard  and see if that helps.    You'll probably feel very tight and sore muscle around your joint in the jaw that you can with time relax by massaging gently over some hours of time. 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 01:42:45 am »
I had that kind of jaw popping as a teenager, and my dentist tested me by carefully watching how my teeth fit together as I opened and closed my jaw. Instead of seeing my jaw closed in one motion, it hit a "high" spot on a molar, and then "slid" to an accommodating closed position. It was like my jaw was limping in order to close.

The solution was to grind off the "high" spot so I could closed my jaw directly. I have never had a recurrence of that problem again, now it is 50 years later.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline gL0v3zz

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 08:38:23 am »
I had that kind of jaw popping as a teenager, and my dentist tested me by carefully watching how my teeth fit together as I opened and closed my jaw. Instead of seeing my jaw closed in one motion, it hit a "high" spot on a molar, and then "slid" to an accommodating closed position. It was like my jaw was limping in order to close.

The solution was to grind off the "high" spot so I could closed my jaw directly. I have never had a recurrence of that problem again, now it is 50 years later.

That's really interesting because I had spring loaded overbite correctors put in as a teenager. I can't help but think that they have had some sort of effect on my current condition. Might have to go see my dentist.

Thanks for your advice!

Offline Pammie

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:25:03 am »
I used to grind my teeth at night but once I started doing the mouth guard it stopped and my popping has not been as frequent.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 04:53:36 am »
Funny you mentioned its worse with the pot. I used to have the same problem, and now that I think about it I haven't had it since I quit. Never made the connection, very interesting. There are cannabinoid recepters all over the body so it could be related.
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 05:33:45 am »
I have read that Jaw Pain can be associated with Liver problems.

Something I did recently that was very very healing and beneficial to me is Nasal Specific.
Here is a video of it being done and there are many more just like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3NulxTqeco

It is one of those treatments that just felt right as soon as it happened.
I have also done a lot of different Chiropractic, Massage, Myofacia Release, and Acupuncture and really felt the best with the Nasal Specific.

I just did a google search to find someone in the area and found them right away.
Gnawing on bones.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 05:15:12 am »

Something I did recently that was very very healing and beneficial to me is Nasal Specific.
Here is a video of it being done and there are many more just like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3NulxTqeco

I've done that on myself several hundred times.  It definitely helps with postural and musculoskeletal issues.  Of course, I've only heard it called neurocranial restructuring, but it's the same thing.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:11:49 pm »
I've done that on myself several hundred times.  It definitely helps with postural and musculoskeletal issues.  Of course, I've only heard it called neurocranial restructuring, but it's the same thing.

Woah!! That is awesome. How did you teach yourself to perform it?

Gnawing on bones.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 11:45:08 am »
How did you teach yourself to perform it?

I was already comfortable with sticking things up my nose from using a neti pot for several years.

I learned how to use a blood pressure bulb when I was a nurse assistant for a short while.

At the time I did this I was jobless and quite poor, so I was going to have to do it myself, or not do it at all.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 03:59:40 am »
I have been using this lately.
http://copperzap.com/

It seems to be beneficial although I am still in the trial phase. It feels like I am cleaning the nostrils and it is a good substitute for fingers.

It has been helping me get comfortable sticking things up my nose as well.

The chiropractor who performed it on me practically taught me how to do it because of his detailed explanation. I am considering trying it on myself although I would rather learn from someone in person as it a pretty intense procedure. Supposedly its a lot safer than it feels.

Thanks for sharing. Its good to know someone has done it to them self.

Do you use more than one finger cot attached to the bulb? Also do you perform it on all three nasal cavities on each side?

Gnawing on bones.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 10:50:48 am »

Do you use more than one finger cot attached to the bulb? Also do you perform it on all three nasal cavities on each side?

I have used the equivalent of 10 finger cots at one time, although I was actually using small party balloons, because they are thicker.  More cots equals more leverage/pressure.

I use a muscle-testing method to determine which passage to use.  I have done all 3 passages on both sides at different points in time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk