Author Topic: Raw pork  (Read 15249 times)

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Raw pork
« on: April 06, 2014, 05:02:29 am »
I've conquered most of the raw meats and organs out there. Some things got a quick sear but cool on the inside. I want to try raw pork and maybe do it regularly if its good.
I can do pork chops and bacon rare. I love prosciutto, but I don't think that counts as an achievement. I want to skip the sear and go all the way. I'm just debating where I should get the pork from. I don't know if I should be more worried about the guaranteed unhealthy oils and bacteria in a grain-fed pork that is organic and pasture-raised, or a wild-caught pork that may have contracted trichinosis. The cdc says nobody has gotten it from pork in the last 20 years. The handful of cases were from bear meat and wild game. Then they casually mention that some people with trichinosis may experience no symptoms at all! I think my ketogenic raw-fed immune system could handle it. Is anyone else suffering from residual fears about raw pork, or is that old-hat around here?
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Raw pork
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:12:50 pm »
Parasites that may attack my brain from pork is something I would rather not indulge in.  But that's just me.

I get to eat fully cooked pork as a cheat at socials.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:32:57 pm »
do a search on the message board for "raw pork" there are already threads that discuss peoples experience.

Here is an old reply of mine.

Re: What raw meat is best/safest to eat? Beef/pork/lamb/etc...

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:07:17 pm »

I have eaten raw pork for the past two years with no ill effects or parasites.  I was definitely very paranoid of it for 3 years before I giving it a try.   I was never a fan of it when I'd eat it cooked, but that was when I was growing up and I had no control over the source, so it was CAFO meats that were gross.   

My current source is a local pasture/forage fed farm that I trust.  To me, the most important factor in choosing any meat is the animals environment and diet.  I seek out farmers who are raising animals on the most appropriate diets and in the best environments.  I believe this is the best way to insure the animals overall health and wellbeing and the quality of meat and fat they produce.

I have raised my own pigs who had wormy livers, but they were not raised in a good environment and were kept penned in on a quarter acre that they decimated.  I do believe that if they would have been able to be on rotated pasture they would have been much healthier.  So I keep my consumption of raw pork to muscle meats and fats because am not really interested in or able to inspect the quality of the organs when I purchase animals from other farms.  Luckily those farms are doing a much better job of raising pigs then I ever did so I trust that their meat is parasite free.

I absolutely love fatty cuts of pork, especially pork belly.  I think pork fat is the best tasting, never chalky, melts in the mouth and is very satisfying. 

I had read a while ago that the fat from pastured pork who spend time in the sun is a good source of vitamin D. 

I think  your palate will change the longer you stick to eating raw meats.  I know when I first started I was not a fan of larger cuts and stuck with ground everything, muscle meats, organs, from all types of animals too, raw beef, bison, poultry, yak, elk, nasty store bought turkey and chicken.....all ground.  Once I realized that dry aging meat was the best way to store larger cuts and that it not only improved its flavor but also made it much more digestible, I was a convert.  Ground meats are the least appetizing to me now.

Also quality of food, season, region, breed, etc...all change the flavor and nutrient content of different meats."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:44:29 pm by jessica »

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 11:22:24 pm »
Thanks, there was some good stuff in the search. I think I am going to go with the wild caught pork and give it 2 weeks in the freezer. I don't think I can source it as fresh never frozen anyway. I've only seen beef and bison available this way on mail order. I once came across what appeared to be a small tumor while eating a raw grass-fed lamb's liver. I ate a small piece of it before I realized. I'm assuming it was sheep liver flukes. I'm not too worried because it was frozen when I got it, but that was quite an unsettling experience. Though not enough to scare me away; I have another lamb's liver coming to temp on my counter right now (not from the same supplier of course). Can you catch cancer from eating a tumor? I know Hulda Clark thought so, but there was a lot of battiness and assumptions among the few good wisdoms in her books. I think I'm OK, I read that ketogenic diets eat cancer for breakfast. Considering my raw paleo carnivorous style keto, I don't think the frozen flukes stand a chance.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:27:26 am »
Are you sure it was a tumor? Tapeworm cysts can look a lot like tumors, and while most tapeworms die when frozen for extended periods some can be quite persistent. Best to cut aberrations in meat out rather than take risks, as far as I'm concerned. Flukes are horrible, tapeworms not as bad but certainly not good either.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:23:12 am by Eric »

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:20:52 am »
Honestly I have no clue what it was, other than creepy. It was about the size and shape of a large pea or small marble and it and had a bumpy/grainy texture embedding it in the liver flesh. That piece of liver had a faint funny odor as well, like some chemical or solvent. I don't think sheep get the pork tapeworm but they do get another tapeworm called hydatid disease.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:25:39 am »
Yeah, that sounds like a tapeworm cyst to me. Right size and shape, right texture. What happens is the larvae embeds itself in the tissue, and the body creates the cyst around the embedded larvae to try to contain it. The larvae goes dormant inside the cyst until something eats the tissue and the larvae enters the consumer's digestive tract. While most animals have tapeworms specifically adapted to them, many tapeworms can infect multiple hosts. Pig tapeworms can infect all sorts of mammals, including humans, and when in the wrong host they are often more pathogenic than when in the host they're best adapted to.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:33:05 pm »
Well that puts me at ease. If I only ate a small piece from the very edge of it then it was part of the body's immune response and not the actual larvae or worm which was at the center of the mass.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:56:55 am »
best to freeze any pork,,,  brain parasites are a Big deal with pork,, deadly in fact.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 08:18:38 am »
Pork is of such universally low quality that I don't ever eat it, except a couple of times yearly for social reasons.  Pigs are fed mostly just grains these days, in the US.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 08:40:25 am »
Yup, generally true. I've done energy audits on small-scale pastured pork operations, and the owners admit that even though the animals are 'pastured', they still get 80-90 percent of their calories from grain-based feed that's used to "supplement" the roots and bugs they dig up on the pasture. In other words, most pastured pigs are still pretty much grain-fed.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 10:15:14 am »
seems like people raise for size, even on "pastured pig" farms and most peoples pastures should be diverse, dense and extremely large to accommodate those pigs an those pigs would still move around so much they would never get so massive, I don't think.  there are smaller pigs that are better foragers, but they seem rare on pig farms, at least I haven't seen em but it would be awesome to raise them on legit pasture or even just grow a diverse food forest for them.  just seems like they make better sense all around.

I work on a farm right now that raises pigs on pasture, so they go ou

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 03:29:35 pm »
Instinctos have always raised pigs and eaten them raw without any problem, of course without freezing the meat. It's very tasty and has a lot of fat, in fact pork is the only meat I know that has a lot of fat. 

Raising our own pigs is the only way to have pork meat suitable to be eaten raw.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 07:29:32 pm »
Yeah, this seems reasonable to me. In fact, as I've spent time working with farmers I've come to the conclusion that the best foods are rarely if ever available commercially. In order to turn a profit given what most people are willing to pay for their foods, at least here in the US where people are accustomed to paying a paltry 8-10 percent of their earnings on food, the farmer must cut all sorts of corners. The result is a low quality product.

I gave a workshop on the Paleo Diet through my local food coop last night and the topic of sourcing meats came up. I admitted that I rarely buy meat, and get most of my meat and most of my food more generally outside commercial markets for the simple reason that my standards are too high for most raisers of livestock and even growers of fruits and vegetables to meet. This reality was met with some resistance, and many of the people were so accustomed to buying their food that they found the notion that the food they buy was of low quality offensive.

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »

Raw pork
« on: April 06, 2014, 05:02:29 am »
I've conquered most of the raw meats and organs out there. Some things got a quick sear but cool on the inside. I want to try raw pork and maybe do it regularly if its good.

REPLY:
I wondered if you have taken raw pork 'by the horns' (couldn't resist that one!) and enjoyed it like many of us?   It really tastes excellent and is one of my favorites along with raw chicken and raw fish, so good luck and enjoy, it is well worth trying and 'doing regularly'.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 04:22:21 am »
I've gone past rare and into the bleu zone with the pork so I've got the hog on a leash right now, not quite by the horns. It is very delicious. I'm just waiting until I can get some good quality pork. Slanker's has some that is supposedly "wild caught," which I assume means they just keep them on their farmland and don't feed them.  I at least would get something that is organic and well raised if I don't get the Slanker's. This has kind of slipped my to-do list, but thanks for reminding me, I will get it done. I can't bring myself to do it with the same supermarket stuff I feed my dogs, though I give it to them raw and they don't have worms crawling out of their ears yet. Wait,  shit, maybe they do. One of them developed hematomas on his ear flaps which could be caused by parasites.  Now I'm a bit worried.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 05:23:00 pm »
Paul Jaminet devotes 3 pages to The Trouble With Pork:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2012/02/pork-did-leviticus-117-have-it-right/

"More than any other animal, pigs pass pathogens to humans.
Indeed, investigators have been surprised at how frequently pathogens pass back and forth."

"human liver cancer rates seem to be more strongly related to consumption of fresh pork than processed pork."

"There is a strong association between pork consumption and liver cirrhosis mortality, liver cancer, and multiple sclerosis."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:32:28 pm by alive »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 05:41:51 pm »
He clearly knows nothing. I have been eating raw wild boar for many years without ever having had any problems. Besides, studies have shown that eating cooked, processed meats is way more harmful than eating just standard cooked, unprocessed meats.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 11:08:18 am »
People who get their dietary advice from the Bible are not to be listened to.

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 04:20:44 pm »
QUOTE: edmon171
Boar Hunter

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 04:22:21 am »QuoteI've gone past rare and into the bleu zone with the pork so I've got the hog on a leash right now, not quite by the horns. It is very delicious.

REPLY:
Sacre bleu!   There is not much difference between possible health risks with bleu (grossly undercooked) pork or completely raw pork!   You seem to have arrived brother!   I get my raw pork from the local supermarket with a squeal of delight!   No sign of a longer nose or curly tail yet!

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 05:03:56 pm »
He clearly knows nothing. I have been eating raw wild boar for many years without ever having had any problems.

Absolutely. Me too, and even pork from pigs properly fed.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline Saris

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 02:13:11 pm »
People who get their dietary advice from the Bible are not to be listened to.

The restrictions in the bible (and a ton of other religious texts) made sense before the advent of ovens and freezers ... and you know, clean butchery.

It was obvious certain food caused problems when not cooked, consumed properly - the religious text conveyed that to the masses by the "devil will get you if you eat that."

It was pretty successful. There was no such thing as health departments at the time ... so. They had to do what they had to do.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 03:20:57 pm »
The Bible was and always has been a load of nonsense. Because it was written by a multitude of different authors,  its writings have variously been used to defend veganism and even zero-carb diets. The Kosher laws,(derived from the Talmud?) are idiotic and illogical, and so on. Then there is the  absurd ban against pork - modern science shows us that pigs are actually very clean animals, it is merely that humans sometimes stupidly foul their enclosures that makes them dirty. And so on and on... Religion is no substitution for medicine.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:13 pm »
Offline edmon171
Boar Hunter

View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 04:22:21 AM »
I've gone past rare and into the bleu zone with the pork so I've got the hog on a leash right now, not quite by the horns. It is very delicious. I'm just waiting until I can get some good quality pork. Slanker's has some that is supposedly "wild caught," which I assume means they just keep them on their farmland and don't feed them.  I at least would get something that is organic and well raised if I don't get the Slanker's. This has kind of slipped my to-do list, but thanks for reminding me, I will get it done. I can't bring myself to do it with the same supermarket stuff I feed my dogs, though I give it to them raw and they don't have worms crawling out of their ears yet. Wait,  shit, maybe they do. One of them developed hematomas on his ear flaps which could be caused by parasites.  Now I'm a bit worried.
REPLY:
Just wondering how you are getting on Edmon, and whether you have managed to make a 'pig of yourself' yet?
Frank Bond

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 03:54:30 am »
QUOTE:
Offline edmon171
Boar Hunter

View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 04:22:21 AM »
REPLY:
Just wondering how you are getting on Edmon, and whether you have managed to make a 'pig of yourself' yet?
Frank Bond

REPLY 2:
Edmon, just wondered about the 'pigs progress'  and how you are getting on generally?   Have you tried raw chicken?
Frank Bond

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk