Author Topic: adapting to no carb  (Read 16024 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: adapting to no carb
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 10:33:22 pm »
Hi Yon,

When I first went no carb I smelled horribly!! I don't know if it was a ketone thing or not, but my breath and body odor matched... so gross :(  It started about two days in and lasted less than a week.  I don't detect it anymore. 

The thing is... is it really a ketone thing?  I've detected the same smell on my college teammates when we'd show up for an early Saturday morning practice after they'd been drinking all night.  I couldn't stand to be near them.  Also, I've smelled the same sometimes when I visit my mom.  She is a small person and mostly 'cooked-healthy', but she's working on her PhD and working full-time, and is a total stress eater.  On these days that she overeats on garbage (pastry treats, frozen yogurt, chocolates) is when I detect the smell the most.  My teammates and mom are all SAD eaters, fat phobic, and high carb eaters.

Also, I thought fat metabolites were supposed to be sweet on the breath?

So, I was thinking the (ketone?) smell may have been something to do with the liver?

Anyway, sorry for all the rambling Yon!, but I think it will go away soon  ;)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 01:22:34 am »
here's an idea that i came across on another forum: i may be keto adapted but if im over eating fats then there are excess ketones that my body is trying to get rid of (hence the bad breath- which is really the only complaint i have with zero carb so far). this seems plausible as i have thought for a while now that i eat too much fat. i usually eat only a little less by volume of suet/marrow to meat. i think i'll try reducing my fat intake for a while to see how that goes. does that make sense?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:53 am »
  The Bear, if you give him any substance, suggests that you eat your fat first and then  when it no longer draws you in, start on the leaner parts.  I tend to eat fat along with meat, grass fed, which is lean to begin with.  But still try to see if during the meal, the fat tastes as good as when I started.  You have to look for the 'stop'.   Charles on his forum is always writing that eating more than you 'need' is not harmful...  I tend to disagree,, as least from my standpoint of not having eaten meat for so long in my life and building enough stomach acid.  I am experimenting with hcl powder for just that.  It does help in overall digestion.  It has been said that raw meat is a much more powerful body cleanser than fruit or vegetables.  Thus I wouldn't touch the colon cleansers.  If you are meant to eat ZC you will know over time.  Just don't mess with it,, like only eat when you are hungry, and not just before bed....  For most people, it all subsides and gets easier each day.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 10:30:17 am »
I think I ate too much fat in the beginning.  I forced myself to 80%, I think it's too much. I didn't feel good. I'm now about 65-70% and that feels a ton better. From my communications with Lex, he indicated a similar experience.  I'm still trying to figure out this out though, too.  Let me know what you find works for you!

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 09:51:49 am »
update: i've lowered my fat intake considerably and feel much better overall. my energy seems higher, i don't notice my heartbeat after eating anymore, and my breathe seems like it is improving (still not great but i can tell its not as bad). i if i give this a few more weeks i should be feeling pretty awesome. also, my bowel movements seem to be improving.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 05:47:54 pm »
Well, this vindicates my own past experience that excess amounts of fat was not a good option, despite various claims by disciples of Stefansson.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 10:16:00 pm »
  In the last few days I have been following my recent passed on advice from the Bear, and that is to eat the fattiest parts first till it no longer is tasting Great, and then on to the lean.  It seems again, that the body knows just what it needs.  For there is this 'stop' for both the fat and meat for me when doing this.  It's really interesting how sometimes I want a lot of fat, and others, it just isn't appealing.  I watch my dog a lot know when eating.  He will eat what he likes also.  He also eats raw.  I place fat next to the meat for him. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk