Author Topic: Ketosis and other carnivorous animals  (Read 3955 times)

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Ketosis and other carnivorous animals
« on: April 10, 2014, 06:09:28 pm »
Does anyone know about the metabolic state of of other hunting carnivores such as wolves, lions, etc.? Do they stay in ketosis all the time? I know their pattern is to hunt, eat a ton of fat and protein, then rest and fast for several days before hunting again. I imagine they get away with the fasting and maintain their weight by gorging on so much protein that it converts to blood sugar and they can restore the fat they lost. Does this take them out of ketosis and they need to then re-adapt every week? Do they also consume the fermented stomach contents of the kill? Is it the lucky alpha who gets the liver first who is best able to maintain their weight?
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline kayaman

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Ketosis and other carnivorous animals
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:53:50 pm »
No. They do not state on ketosis all the time. it depends on what kind of animal. From the land strict carnivores as cats cats they eat large amounts of protein (50-60% of calories in the diet) and their liver efficiently, quickly and without problem (as opposed to human) is cleaved protein to glucose. They do not eat fatty. Often, big cats leave part of organs, bone marrow and fat for scavengers such as hyenas. Dogs are already really omnivores and effectively operate on 40% protein and 60% fat in calories.
I do not know the proportion of other predators such as sperm whales and seals.

It seems to me that the cow is on ketosis much more than cats. In her share of the energy of carbohydrates is very small as long feed on naturally of course.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk