Author Topic: Water  (Read 6968 times)

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Water
« on: April 23, 2014, 02:51:24 am »
I was wondering what everyone's opinions are about how much water you should drink. We're told we need to drink something like 10-12 glasses of water a day for proper hydration.

I find that I can go two whole days without drinking water before I even realize that I haven't had any. But, this is only if I haven't had a very productive day. If I work (where I'm constantly on my feet), I'll definitely drink more water. But still, I probably don't even get close to half of that recommended amount. I would estimate that the most water I drink is 3-4 glasses, and only if I've been on my feet a lot of the day and also ate a lot of salty food or just salt in my food. My pee is never really yellow either, so I can't imagine I'm just permanently dehydrated and unaware.

Is it okay to drink so little assuming I'm not actually feeling thirsty? If I feel thirsty, I drink immediately. So, just wondering how much water everyone drinks, and what they think of it.
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:10:53 pm »
Personally I drink little to no water even on active days. I have gone more than two weeks with out taking a sip of water and felt great.
I am always trying to drink less liquids than I already do.
I usually drink 1/2 gallon of milk a day and a quart of orange juice.
Occasionally I have mineral water or if I am out of orange juice and milk I make salty honey water.
I can not remember the last time I had plain water though.
If I pee more than once in 4 hours I feel like something is wrong so I up my salt intake and maybe eat some "raw" pemmican instead of raw meat or homemade cheese instead of milk.
Gnawing on bones.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:30:10 pm »
Personally I drink little to no water even on active days. I have gone more than two weeks with out taking a sip of water and felt great.

Yeah, that's how I feel. The 3-4 glasses is like the absolute max, it's usually 1 small cup of water at work, and little to none if I'm not active.

I am always trying to drink less liquids than I already do.

Any reason why?

I usually drink 1/2 gallon of milk a day and a quart of orange juice. Occasionally I have mineral water or if I am out of orange juice and milk I make salty honey water. I can not remember the last time I had plain water though.

I feel like I get my fluids from fruit. I've been eating a lot of watermelon and just more fruit in general, and have been drinking even less water now. I remember GS mentioning that he relied on fresh fruit for his water.

If I pee more than once in 4 hours I feel like something is wrong so I up my salt intake and maybe eat some "raw" pemmican instead of raw meat or homemade cheese instead of milk.

I don't think peeing often is a bad thing, although at some point there would be 'too much' especially if you aren't gorging on something like watermelons or drinking tons of water. I can go 8-9 hours without peeing - I'll realize it when I did a full 8 hours at work and never went during any of my breaks. Then I'll get home and only when I'm in the shower to I finally really have to go.

On the contrary, my boyfriend drinks TONS of water. He even said that halfway through his watermelon, he felt like he needed to drink water badly. He's the exact opposite of me - he easily drinks more than the suggested 12 glasses. Probably bordering 20 glasses a day. But doesn't pee like crazy either. I wonder what the reason behind this is?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:57:20 pm »
I have good results with spring water.

And I have good results with eating black salt and eating salty fermented foods.

It's the peak of summer here, water alone cannot do it.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:14:59 am »
Yeah, that's how I feel. The 3-4 glasses is like the absolute max, it's usually 1 small cup of water at work, and little to none if I'm not active.

Any reason why?

I feel like I get my fluids from fruit. I've been eating a lot of watermelon and just more fruit in general, and have been drinking even less water now. I remember GS mentioning that he relied on fresh fruit for his water.

I don't think peeing often is a bad thing, although at some point there would be 'too much' especially if you aren't gorging on something like watermelons or drinking tons of water. I can go 8-9 hours without peeing - I'll realize it when I did a full 8 hours at work and never went during any of my breaks. Then I'll get home and only when I'm in the shower to I finally really have to go.

On the contrary, my boyfriend drinks TONS of water. He even said that halfway through his watermelon, he felt like he needed to drink water badly. He's the exact opposite of me - he easily drinks more than the suggested 12 glasses. Probably bordering 20 glasses a day. But doesn't pee like crazy either. I wonder what the reason behind this is?

The reason behind my intention of consuming less liquids is because I find that it slows my metabolism down and impairs my digestion. I track my temperature and pulse rate several times throughout the day to get a better understanding of my metabolism. I have healed it considerably although still have a bit more to go. I bet that when I get to my ideal temperature range my water consumption or liquid consumption would go up a decent amount.

Also I was the person who never sweat even when working.

Do you and your boyfriend have the exact same diet? Are there any difference you can think of? Also what are your weight differences? If you check your pulse and/or temperature do you find you both have similar numbers?

I find that the more salt I eat the more hydrated I feel. If I were to chug a bunch of spring water or eat a watermelon with out any salt I can feel the water move right through me and intuitively it feels like I am dehydrating myself. Adding salt to fruit and fruit juices I now find I need less liquid or fruit to feel hydrated again.
Gnawing on bones.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:23:54 am »
The reason behind my intention of consuming less liquids is because I find that it slows my metabolism down and impairs my digestion. I track my temperature and pulse rate several times throughout the day to get a better understanding of my metabolism. I have healed it considerably although still have a bit more to go. I bet that when I get to my ideal temperature range my water consumption or liquid consumption would go up a decent amount.

That's really interesting.

Also I was the person who never sweat even when working.

Me too. I will generally get a small amount of sweat (armpits) when doing anything, but nothing more than that. I only really start sweating in other places when it's summer.

Do you and your boyfriend have the exact same diet? Are there any difference you can think of? Also what are your weight differences? If you check your pulse and/or temperature do you find you both have similar numbers?

Yes, we eat the same exact foods. Only differences would be maybe I get an orange and he gets an apple when we go to the store for fruit. Or he eats 4 eggs while I eat 2. I'm 5'5" and 120 lbs, he is 5'10" and 155 lbs. We've never checked our pulse or temperature - not even sure how to go about that.  -[

I find that the more salt I eat the more hydrated I feel. If I were to chug a bunch of spring water or eat a watermelon with out any salt I can feel the water move right through me and intuitively it feels like I am dehydrating myself. Adding salt to fruit and fruit juices I now find I need less liquid or fruit to feel hydrated again.

Also interesting. I've found when I eat anything with salt, I'll drink a massive amount of water within an hour or so.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:18:38 am »
If it is hot I will drink more.  I drink much less water if I eat lots of raw food, no doubt because I sense that there is water-content in the raw food already. I also drink less water if I eat lots of raw fat. No idea what is right re drinking water re amounts. I used to drink c. 2.5 litres of alkaline mineral water a day which did well for me - 5 litres a day  if I did not eat anything. Nowadays, I drink much less.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline paper_clips43

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 06:16:33 am »
That's really interesting.

Me too. I will generally get a small amount of sweat (armpits) when doing anything, but nothing more than that. I only really start sweating in other places when it's summer.

Yes, we eat the same exact foods. Only differences would be maybe I get an orange and he gets an apple when we go to the store for fruit. Or he eats 4 eggs while I eat 2. I'm 5'5" and 120 lbs, he is 5'10" and 155 lbs. We've never checked our pulse or temperature - not even sure how to go about that.  -[

Also interesting. I've found when I eat anything with salt, I'll drink a massive amount of water within an hour or so.

How much does he sweat and how has it been during his life? Is he a non sweater like you and I?
Gnawing on bones.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 06:35:33 am »
If it is hot I will drink more.  I drink much less water if I eat lots of raw food, no doubt because I sense that there is water-content in the raw food already. I also drink less water if I eat lots of raw fat. No idea what is right re drinking water re amounts. I used to drink c. 2.5 litres of alkaline mineral water a day which did well for me - 5 litres a day  if I did not eat anything. Nowadays, I drink much less.

I drink less when eating raw as well. After going off SAD, my water intake went down. Then even further when I lost weight. Then going raw, I basically don't drink water. I just get a few sips at work which is more to moisturize my throat than anything because I have to talk and yell at people the entire time. I was really just curious about how much other people generally drink. I never worry because I know there's definitely fluids/water in raw foods and my pee is always the 'healthy' light yellow color, but I still got wondered about it.

How much does he sweat and how has it been during his life? Is he a non sweater like you and I?

Well, I wasn't always a 'non-sweater' lol. After going paleo (and eventually raw), I've lost about 40 lbs easily, and now I'm not overweight like before. I would sweat over just taking out the trash when I was really heavy. Same would go for my boyfriend - he's lost about 35 lbs. I suspect that he does sweat more than I do because he's still suffering from eczema and his skin sweats a lot when it's warm. I'm wondering if he'll drink less once that's all done.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:00:41 am »
I admittedly don't drink much water. Raw, unprocessed foods generally have a high water content, often over 50% by mass and sometimes as high as 95%, so as long as I stay on-the-wagon with respect to eating well I hardly ever feel thirsty. Once it starts getting hot out this will probably change, and I'll start making a bi-weekly pilgrimage to a spring nearby to fill 5 gallon glass carvoys with artesian spring water.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 07:00:27 am »
Does anyone else here avoid drinking water for a while before and after a meal? I think it helps alot with digestion and fullness by not diluting the stomach acids. Other than that I don't pay much attention to how much I'm actually drinking. If I'm not thirsty I'll make sure to at least drink one glass for good measure.
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 07:06:02 am »
Does anyone else here avoid drinking water for a while before and after a meal? I think it helps alot with digestion and fullness by not diluting the stomach acids. Other than that I don't pay much attention to how much I'm actually drinking. If I'm not thirsty I'll make sure to at least drink one glass for good measure.

I do, I time everything I put in my body by the minute, constantly timing everything to ease digestion, in my case it only help to not aggravate the already terrible digestion lol.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 09:34:31 am »

I don't particularly avoid it. But one thing that I've noticed which has been bothersome, and I realized this is the perfect place to post about it - when I drink water early in the morning, especially on an empty stomach, it hurts. A lot of discomfort, and sometimes bloating. Just from water!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 09:14:43 pm »
I drink about 2 gallons a day, which is actually less then I used to.  Any less and I feel thirsty, like my blood is thick, and get dehydrated pretty fast.  I try to drink all spring water but when I cant make it to fill up my containers I will do half well water or Reverse Osmosis, I try to avoid RO water as much as possible as I think it pulls minerals from the body and probably does something weird to the ionization of cells in the body, so highly unnatural but still better then drinking chlorine, fluoride (and aluminum as they put in the city water here) inundated water.  Most of the well water here is very high in calcium so I try to avoid that as well. 

I am sure I drink this much due to my adrenals and kidneys still somewhat damaged, and the fact that I do 8 hours of ranch work per day at minimum, so a lot of physical labor.  I used to live and work in an extremely arid and sometimes very hot environment, now I live in a much more moderate and humid climate and I think that has made a difference, my body has had to learn that sweating does not work the same, if you sweat out here it does not evaporate as well and thus does not have the same cooling properties, so its not that effective.  In Colorado or Arizona sweating was a 24 hour a day thing in the summer and I would drink down many gallons of water and eat only juicy foods like melons while I worked in the sun and in the desert soil and never tire of water.  That isn't to say I would walk around dripping of sweat, nope, it would evaporate immediately, its dry out thar! Thats just not necessary out here where its not so hot or dry.  I think I also used to take a lot of "natural" diuretics and laxatives, in my late teens and twenties and had high anxiety, which toasted my bodies ability to pee an poop like normal, that's all slowly been restored but still probably not perfect.

Welp this is what feels healthy for me at this point in my life and in this climate.  I definitely now have times when I am not thirsty, which almost never used to be the case.  And its much easier for me to operate when I feel dehydrated, which never used to be the case.  I think my resiliency is up :)

I also never used to be able to drink cold water.........ever.  Like even if it was 90 degrees out I would have to drink warm or hot water...this goes back to being like 17 and being 5'5" and weighting like 100 pounds and it was the only thing I could do to keep warm, being underweight to some degree happened for almost 10 years and made me extremely sensitive in so many ways, glad that's over.

if you are thirsty in the morning but it hurts to drink, try drinking almost hot water and then immediately laying on your right side, it should help the water flush through your stomach instead of sitting in it.  You can also try adding a pinch of salt, or a little bit of seaweed to help the rough feeling of water.  Another thing is to just take a little in your mouth and to keep it there until it feels warm and you naturally sip it down.  I swear I have hiked miles with just a little water in my mouth, lol, until I felt like drinkin it. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:28:03 pm by jessica »

Offline meatbeater

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 11:02:21 pm »
Lots of water every day.  I always add ionic minerals to my filtered water cause I feel we are all mineral deficient even on a healthy diet.  I do not force myself to drink lots of water but I am thirsty a lot.  Drinking to much water with a meal does give me the bloated feeling.  I do pee a lot and some times it gets on my nerves.
P.S. I just had to do a math problem to post. WTF

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 09:11:19 am »

I generally avoid drinking liquids less than 30 minutes before a meal, and for  2-3 hours after a meal.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 08:06:24 am »
I drink about 2 gallons a day, which is actually less then I used to.  Any less and I feel thirsty, like my blood is thick, and get dehydrated pretty fast.  I try to drink all spring water but when I cant make it to fill up my containers I will do half well water or Reverse Osmosis, I try to avoid RO water as much as possible as I think it pulls minerals from the body and probably does something weird to the ionization of cells in the body, so highly unnatural but still better then drinking chlorine, fluoride (and aluminum as they put in the city water here) inundated water.  Most of the well water here is very high in calcium so I try to avoid that as well.
I get glass tanks of distilled spring water and regular spring water. I keep two coolers and just have whatever I feel like at the moment. I don't worry about the water being deionized because rainwater is naturally distilled. I'd be more concerned about particulates passing through the reverse osmosis or even pieces of the filter material itself coming off or dissolving in the water. I'd even take distilled tap water over RO but I'd run it through a plain carbon filter to polish it because VOC's will volatilize and condense back into the still with the water. But not a brita or other store-bought pitcher because those are all treated with triclosan to make them antimicrobial.
Lots of water every day.  I always add ionic minerals to my filtered water cause I feel we are all mineral deficient even on a healthy diet.  I do not force myself to drink lots of water but I am thirsty a lot.  Drinking to much water with a meal does give me the bloated feeling.  I do pee a lot and some times it gets on my nerves.
P.S. I just had to do a math problem to post. WTF
The amount of minerals in spring water does not even come close to approaching recommended intake. Raw food will contain all the minerals one needs and in a form that gets assimilated. I've heard the minerals in spring water don't even absorb properly and form deposits in the body over the years. Apparently it leads to a condition called "brain sand" when high concentrations are maintained for a long time. I don't recall a scientific study about this, and I may have seen this from a company selling distillers, but it sounds plausible.
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk