Author Topic: Stomaching Raw Meats  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Giantsbran

• Forager
    • View Profile
Stomaching Raw Meats
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:38:14 am »
So I dont eat raw paleo. Right now I am doing a Ray Peat type diet (works great for me). But he does recommend to eat some raw grassfed beef/liver every week. I can eat the raw beef fine but the raw liver makes me vomit every time. How can I begin to stomach this? Right now it's just unbearable unless I cook it and drown it in spices/oils to mask the flavor.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Stomaching Raw Meats
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:23:31 am »
try liver ceviche. works for my kids.
and choose healthy liver, only healthy liver tastes good.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:29:41 am »
You answered your own question, add spice, I don't like the taste of liver much but I like the texture, on its own i  hate it but with turmeric it becomes a feast.

Offline Giantsbran

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:36:26 am »
Thanks guys.

Is it safe? Ive read some reports about people dying from eating raw liver.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 09:53:46 am »
i once ate raw liver from a strange chicken that i did not raise, dont know how it was raised, my body puked up in 30 mins.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:21:34 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:18:44 am »
i once ate bad oysters.  probably red tide.  puked and pooped at the same time after 2 hours.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:16:14 am by goodsamaritan »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 02:15:51 pm »
When I first tried raw liver I too could not stomach it. My solution was to cut the raw liver up into tiny slices and swallow them one by one without needing to chew them  more than once since they were so small. After every swallow of raw liver-slice, I would gulp a huge mouthful of high-alkaline mineral-water in order to immediately wipe out the  after-taste. The mineral-water , imo, has to be high alkaline(ie PH value of 7.8 or higher).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:20:16 pm »
Incidentally, one should always ignore rubbish statistics and info on food-poisoning and raw foods. For one thing, reports of food-poisoning far more commonly result from eating canned foods(which are routinely preheated to very high temperatures beforehand). But also there are always going to be small amounts of the population who are already about to die anyway, such as sickly babies or terminally-ill people or very old people) who cannot even handle the  generally slight detox reactions( at most vomiting and diarrhea) one sometimes might get from eating a dodgy source of raw foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 02:32:37 pm »
I actually love liver. It's a little strong from the heavy metallic flavors, which can be unpleasant, but overall the texture and taste is very enjoyable. It's heart that I despise - blech.

After sometime, you learn to just ignore all of the freaky scare-tactics. Whether it's just bacteria from raw meat or metal toxins in seafood, you'll just laugh and enjoy what food you want to eat. :) You reach a point where, assuming you sourced the it decently enough, you don't hesitate eating something if it sounds good.

After enough times of eating something that "should have" hurt you and then feeling great, you stop having that worry and awkward feeling when eating. I never thought I'd care to eat raw poultry, but it sounded great so I just ate it without hesitation. Good stuff, too. I had fun scaring the shit out of half my friends and family with that one. ;)
In its purest, unaltered form, healthy food is delicious.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 02:41:53 pm »
Raw poultry can be a problem as almost all chickens are heavily fed on grains. So I avoid it and go in for raw wild mallard duck.
" Ron Paul.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 04:46:13 pm »
Raw poultry can be a problem as almost all chickens are heavily fed on grains. So I avoid it and go in for raw wild mallard duck.

I'm able to get my hands on mainly pasture-raised chicken. It's not the best, but at least the grains are used in a last-resort manner, rather than being free-fed entirely. We're also limited in variety of meats, so I really just ate it because I needed a break from the same stuff. Wild quail is really, really good in comparison, though. I've been trying to find wild duck, but everything is grain-fed, farm-raised. I can imagine the fat would be incredible ...

I haven't had stomach problems regarding the chicken, and I'm VERY sensitive to grain-fed meats. I generally use myself as a guinea pig to see if the meat is as good as they say it is. I had to cut out all poultry until I found the one that I eat now (for chicken)because they would all make me sick (i.e. saying they're entirely pastured but they are raised on nothing but grains, then I have a reaction). The quail is from a site I just found where everything is wild. So it was my first time having quail, and I was in love. I'm planning to order a bunch of whole quail in bulk until I can get my hands on ducks and other wild birds. Never cared for cooked poultry, but I'm a fan of the raw stuff.

Offline edmon171

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:09:16 pm »
see if you can find a grass-fed calves liver, the flavor is less intense. Also thin slices method worked well for me. Having  a salty side dish to alternate bites is nice to cleanse the palate. Prosciutto counts as raw, I think. I find that stomaching the new foods is very much mental. Its as if when you approach your food with hesitation, your brain tries to super-taste every detail of it and resist swallowing to ensure you are not eating poison. But once you approach the meal with confidence, you will interpret every incoming flavor as good.
My basic health philosophy:

1. If it is advertized on TV, don't touch it.
2. If it is recommended in the news, do the opposite.
3. If it makes most people afraid, it might be good for you.

Offline Sorentus

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 07:10:19 pm »
Cat, what about eggs? I myself found i cannot eat cooked beef or cooked eggs, yet i seem to do ok with raw eggs and raw beef somewhat, i absolutenely cannot do cooked of either. Btw how can you despise hearts?! Its like a enhanced version of the most tender muscle meat. When i see people paying high price for lean cuts, i cant help but find them stupid when they can get better tasting, more tender, more nutrients for a fraction of the price, guess we all have different tastes.

Offline CatTreats

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 03:34:28 am »
Cat, what about eggs? I myself found i cannot eat cooked beef or cooked eggs, yet i seem to do ok with raw eggs and raw beef somewhat, i absolutenely cannot do cooked of either. Btw how can you despise hearts?! Its like a enhanced version of the most tender muscle meat. When i see people paying high price for lean cuts, i cant help but find them stupid when they can get better tasting, more tender, more nutrients for a fraction of the price, guess we all have different tastes.

I have always had issues digesting eggs. And I've never cared for the flavor - my favorite breakfast was eggs with cheese and butter, and the ratio was more butter and cheese than egg. Heh. But raw egg yolks are DELICIOUS. I abstained from eggs for a long time, then when we went back to 100% RPD, egg yolk was my first meal. I had a slight discomfort in my stomach for about 30-45 min, but nothing bad. I never had it since.

I do love cooked beef, it's the only thing I can't prefer raw over (though I still won't eat it). But, I literally lived on very delicious steaks and ground beef from my dad my entire life, so there's just a special spot I have for a nice rare steak. I don't ever buy expensive cuts of beef, quite the contrary actually. I eat chuck roast when I can get a good price with lots of fat, or I will just pick the meat off of trimmed scraps. I'm not sure what my problem is with heart. Beef muscle meat is still one of my least favorites, so that might be why. I prefer poultry, seafood, eggs, and liver raw, just not beef. I'm hoping to eventually grow a serious liking for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk